• LisaRose
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Beautifully composed, LisaRose!

Thank you for posting.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

For The Rebel, who has helped make my day a little better.

The credit for this thread goes to all the great people who posted words and images of their 'hood.

Love,

CoCo

• compound complex
  • compound complex
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

It sounds lovely where you are CoCo. Sadly, wherer I live looks like a post apocalyptic dystopian hell hole.

• zeb
    zeb

Here in Australia its winter and he clouds scud about the skies in earnest. The outside temp today was about 10 C and the fire is going in the lounge. Our trees are mainly eucalypts and they don't undress for winter nor change colour. Our cat sleeps on my bed too content to stalk the magpies that peck over our small yard.

A few hardy souls venture to the beach to get themselves frozen and a lot of folks are out doing walks rain permitting. A small farm a few k's away has its resident population of kangaroos lazing in the sun when it shows and grazing amongst the cattle there. A lot of the highways have seen an 'evacuation' of caravans as so many retirees called the 'grey nomads' hitch up and head north. They will return when the south warms up.

Our son, his wife and newborn re heading this way and should be here in a day or two

Me? I love the winter. and thankyou all for sharing your beautiful photos. I have a new computer and a new photo program so I hope to be able to reply in kind.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, punkofnice and zeb, for responding.

I'm sorry, punk, that your surroundings are not so nice. Going through this thread from the beginning may brighten your horizons!

I was in Australia, zeb, about 17 years ago, on the Gold Coast. I stayed in Noosaville. Think that's the name. I wanted to move there. Loved the jacaranda trees. Eucalyptus has always been my favorite tree. Very "big" here in California. Would love to see your photos.

Best.

CoCo

• compound complex
  • dubstepped
    dubstepped

Wow CoCo, that original post was fantastic. I'm glad this thread got bumped so I could see it.

I don't really walk around my neighborhood, but I have a little window through which I appreciate the natural beauty that it has to offer. You see, we have an attached carport that we turned into a screened in porch. My wife and I sit on it and watch the seasons. Ours is a fairly busy residential street, and there is always the sound of a passing car, or someone cutting their grass, or people walking by talking. There isn't a lot of privacy in our yard because we're at a corner and just kind of out there with no real back yard and just a front and two sides that are open. However, screening in our carport gives us a space that we can call our own where we're able to sit with a little visual privacy and it just feels like our own little world where we can watch what goes on.

There are birds chirping and flying by. Our neighbors have some evergreen trees that they just love. Robins, gold finches, cardinals, and more bring variety and color, along with their songs. Squirrels run up and down our tree and through our garden over to the neighbor's yard. We have a mating pair of ducks that shows up every spring and loves to come over and walk around our yard, and later in the spring we get to see them walking with their little fluffy offspring. There are often rabbits hopping around, one took a liking to the shelter that our burning bush gave this summer and would sit in the shade. Butterflies float in and out of our garden along with bees, an occasional hummingbird, and a really cool bee moth that we see on occasion. We have an iridescent lizard that likes to work its way in and out of the framing of our screened enclosure that is really neat looking when the sun hits just right. At night we see tons of lightning bugs around this time of year, illuminating the darkness piece by piece. Oh, and one night I looked up and saw an owl sitting on one of the lines, a first for me as I've never seen an owl outside of captivity before. It flew away with its massive wingspan without making a sound.

I created space for my wife to garden. She has four squares that she fills with beautiful flowers and produce. We will have peas, cucumbers, and cantaloupe this year if all goes well. For the first time we opened a new strip of ground to wave petunias right outside the screen that we can enjoy as well. In the Fall our burning bush goes from green to bright red, hence the name, and is beautiful even as the leaves fall and it leaves a crimson pool under the shell of the bush that is left.

I'll post a pic here of my wife gardening from earlier this spring. I have lots of pics of the flowers and ducks and various other things that I've mentioned but don't want to overwhelm the thread, but here's our window to the world:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit