The Natural Beauty of Your Neighborhood

by compound complex 293 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends,

One of my greatest enjoyments is a daily walk. I see things in far greater detail than when I am driving by. Naturally! The beautiful architectural design of a particular home and its landscaping, for example, are always of major interest to me.
    Today was incredibly beautiful, with a crackling-hot feel to the air. I was awed by the deeply-hued, stately pines and glossy-leafed, black oaks, set against a sky of deepest blue. In the foreground were well-rounded oleanders, whose scarlet blossoms and snow-white blossoms filled the air with their heavy, sensuous perfume. I even spied a novel specimen with salmon-colored blossoms. Far in the distance proudly sat, bolt-upright, the world's smallest mountain range: "When God was creating the mountains, some mud fell out of His hip pocket," so the legend goes.
    An hour-and-a-half never passed so quickly; I was exhilarated.

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

Sometimes I drive to my "walk" - up to the higher mountains or down to the river.

How about you?

CoCo

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

Ah CoCo your neighborhood sounds really beautiful. I have a good image in my mind from your description. Lets see, Im not very good with wording things but my neighborhood is really close to a mountain, in fact I've moved around a few times the past few years and stayed in the general area. Sometimes when I walk in the evening I feel really happy to be alive just being able to see the sunset behind a further mountain and the incredible colors that fill the sky. There are several trees and flowers that smell wonderful after the sun has warmed them throughout the day. I often wish I could be as good at taking care of plants and flowers as other people are, some of the yards around here are so beautiful with amazingly beautiful flowers, I just don't know how they keep it up.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Coco,

What a beautiful description of your walks! Here in Florida it is prime growing season (daily thundershowers)....So its very green and lush. Some neighbors keep their yards to a "T" which means twice weekly mowing's and then we have the following neighbor!.....

Altamonte Springs, Florida - Litter Felon, aka "Annoying Neighbor," slapped with three years in prison
    Tourism News iconThe Altamonte Springs, Florida man, dubbed Seminole County's "Annoying Neighbor," has been sentenced to spend three years in jail for his junk cluttered yard and violation of probation from an earlier junk felony conviction. Alan Davis's yard on Alpine Street -- where he'd accumulated more than a decade's worth of trash, scrap parts and old cars -- might have been declared a folk art treasure elsewhere in America. But neighbors regarded it as an unsightly pile designed to drive them crazy, and the judge agreed. He was fined over $200,000 for continuing littering and nuisance violations, and the legal battle continued, with Davis ultimately serving time in prison. Davis transported his giant butt sculpture to court at one point, so it's hard to understand why the judge wasn't more lenient... [01/31/2005] Complete News Story

So walks here have to be routed around this jerk!

r.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    "Annoying Neighbor," has been sentenced to spend three years in jail for his junk cluttered yard and violation of probation from an earlier junk felony conviction.

wow, at least he didn't just get away with it. I've seen places like that out in service in the past, why anyone would keep their yard like a junk heap is beyond me.

• davegod
    davegod

I hate to say, Georgia is a barren wasteland. We are 15 inches behind on rainfall and most things are dead. We have been dry till last week. The humidity as come on with an vengeance. Little rain though. Most folks with fescue lawns have gave up and let them go brown. The summer grasses have not greened in the yards without watering. My own water bill was 100. last month and my stuff is barely alive. Sad, I know. I too love a green lush and fragrant enviroment. I hate rain though, guess i got what I wished for

• BFD
    BFD

Hi Coco,

Yesterday I noticed how wonderfully green everything is again. All the trees are full leafed. I usually take my dogs for a long walk in the town park (it's huge) and there are trails that go round and about along the Susquehana River. I like it there because I usually have the park to myself as not many people use it. I take this time to reflect and listen to the stillness and quiet. I have learned to see things a bit differently recently and part of it is because of my quiet reflective moments in the park.

My neighborhood is very nice. Across the street from me is a wooded hill that gives me an "in the woods" feel when I look out the front of my house. But it really is very "suburban residential". My neighbor next door is a widow and she is an amazing gardener. She grows the most spectacular flowers and she always shares them with me. I planted a vegetable garden this year and it is coming along nicely. I planted 3 types of tomatos, bell peppers, cucumber, eggplants, garlic, basil, Italian parsley, pumpkins, rubarb and strawberries. I got my first strawberry yesterday. Yummy! The plants are loaded with strawberries, I just hope the squirells don't get them before I do!

I really do enjoy my neck of the woods. Oh, and I forgot to mention that I also planted a Magnolia tree, marigolds, two rodedendrun bushes, a weeping birch tree, a bleeding heart bush, iris', pansies, geraniums and many many day lilys.

BFD

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

What's it like in your neck of the woods?

CoCo

CoCo it sounds like you have stopped to smell the roses. Keep it on the good foot and stay golden.

The sky is blue, the sun shines. The air is hot and humid. At times there are violent thunder storms. Illegals are everywhere cutting grass, serving hamburgers.The Yankees have gone home. There is water to the left and water to the right and water to the South. Christmas is the best time of the year if the temperature drops down to the 60's. The locals pray to an immaginary God that he wont send another hurricane. The rich are hunkered down in their mansions.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, my Friends, for your descriptive landscapes - the good, the bad, and the ugly [what a story, r.!]. I plan on rereading them, allowing my imagination lead the way down uncharted, secret garden paths.

Love,

CoCo

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

OK I've looked everywhere for this tree, I wasn't sure of the name but I found out today. this is the tree I want to plant in my yard. They have tiny lavendar flowers on them and they smell really pretty, they also grow really tall. It's called a Jacaranda Tree. Here's a picture of one I found online:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit