The Natural Beauty of Your Neighborhood

by compound complex 293 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes - smell the roses! JagBas; thanx! Sounds like alot going on in your neck o' the woods. Appreciate your filling us in.

Miss Ann - first learned of Jacaranda when I fell in love with Australia. Went there by Qantas, not armchair. What a paradise there on the Gold Coast. I don't know of Jac's requirements. May wanna check. Hope it works.

Many thanx,

CoCo

Going on a walk; in the 90s today. Cooler now.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Misanthropic, we have had many of these(Jacaranda) in Orlando and one in my neighborhood. They are absolutely stunning but cannot freeze. Most have been lost through the years. The one on the next block over has been butchered repeatedly by the power company because it has grown into the power lines. After the flowers drop the lawn is purple for a week which is just as beautiful.

I planted one 10 years ago in the back yard of a home we use to own on this street. It still has not bloomed!

r.

• misanthropic
    misanthropic
    Misanthropic, we have had many of these(Jacaranda) in Orlando and one in my neighborhood

wow, that must be a sight to see! I have only seen a couple of them so far in my life.

I planted one 10 years ago in the back yard of a home we use to own on this street. It still has not bloomed!

I wonder why it hasn't. Maybe I should get a pretty good sized tree to start out.
    I have checked, the weather here is great for them and they have some in the plaza I shop at- which is where I saw one for the first time a year ago. They're just gorgeous. Hopefully though I'll get one that blooms.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

hmmmmm......Today was a glorious summer day in my ' neck of the woods'. Clear skies , sunny ,87 degrees. I worked inside mostly today but, took breaks to lay down in our spare bedroom to catch a cool breeze coming in from the backyard . It was so relaxing listening to the doves and cardinals calling from the trees back there ,and the gentle water sounds coming from the pond fountain.... made me sigh .

We have the Hennepin Canal not to far from our home .In the evenings we take the dog there and walk along the new bike/walk path .Very rural area surrounded by woods and farms .Many nights we are the only ones walking there. Last night a couple of men were fishing in the canal from their boat and a pair of mallard ducks swam along as we walked .The cottonwood trees are over 100 yrs. old down there and wild canaries and finches are common. We see animal trails coming out of the woods heading for the water ,have to keep the dog from running into the thickets after raccoons or rabbits.Along the shore you can see bluegill fish scattering as we approach ,turtles slide off logs into the water as we get too close .

Along the way we spotted wild black raspberries just about ready to pick and mulberries already ripe and falling to the ground. I just bought a book on identifying herbs and trees

so while we walked I kept my eye open for species I had read about in the book. A poster from England told me the other day about Elder cordial made from the flowers of the Elder tree.

I was surprised to find this tree along the canal in full bloom of sweet dainty flowers . The bullfrogs are just beginning to croak and the crickets are in full chorus .On the way home we pass corn fields , deep green ,and the corn is already knee high or more. The lightening bugs are thick over the crops twinkeling away as the sun set.

A farm is close by so before we leave the canal we hear several cows mooing in the distance . The night breeze has turned cool ...really a perfect summer day ....

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

My neighborhood, town and school are currently alll a massive construction zone. I can't wait for it to stop.

• flipper
    flipper

Hi, CoCo.....We live in the woods about 7 miles out of town so it's very nice. Saturday we drove a little less than an hour to higher country - a place called Grouse Ridge. Hiked in on a trail along several lakes and up to the top of Fall Creek Mountain where you can see all the nearby lakes and distant mountain ranges....I think the elevation's around 7,000 ft. We were all in pretty good spirits after that. flipper

• greendawn
    greendawn

This neighbourhood is reasonably good and quiet and there are many nice trees and flowers in the gardens though the people aren't particularly friendly (or unfriendly). Sometimes I take photos of things I particularly like. I move about a lot on foot since I take the dog out for walks every day.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Friends,

The calling of the doves and cardinals,
    The mooing of our bovine friends,
    Walking dear and faithful Fido,
    Feeling the brush of Spring's Zephyr 'cross the cheek,
    Climbing to 7000 and viewing a sight supernal,
    Talking to a crusty, green-thumbed tiller of the soil -
    This, too, makes me sigh..............

Thank you, dear ones,

CoCo De La Foret

• brinjen
    brinjen

Hi Coco,

I live in the tropics, so lots of palm and coconut trees, bearded dragons, green tree frogs and geckos. Interesting point on the coconut trees. While the 'territory' is famous for crocodile, more people are killed by falling coconuts than the crocs! Maybe because crocs are forever on the front page of our newspaper... It's dry season at the moment so starting to see a lot more brown foilage, wet season is when this place really comes to life. No place like Darwin!

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

It's pleasant enough in my neighbourhood - lots of oak, sycamore, beech and horse chestnut trees scattered between the houses - and about 2 miles up the road, there is open, rough moorland - think 'Wuthering Heights', Cathy and Heathcliff!! Not very far from where I live.

You can escape from the whole world there.

Yorkshire moors

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit