The Natural Beauty of Your Neighborhood

by compound complex 293 Replies latest jw friends

• compound complex
    compound complex

Scarce could I believe, after the turbulence of the day's weather, that we should see even a glimmer of sunlight. I finally managed to get myself out the door at about 4:20, greatly in need of some exercise. I climbed up the hill - ever an ordeal - and turned left onto the main boulevard, where, at last, the terrain leveled out. Moving along, I soon found the rooftops at my right bathed in the brightest sunlight, not that of a weak and watery winter's sun, but in a glow that shone warm and gold.

That, however, was not what drew my unbroken gaze. Against a breaking sky of steely gray and bursts of baby blue, populated with scudding, dirty clouds, was the magnificence of pines - ponderosa, sugar and digger - standing like torches, burning but not consumed, as they illumed the fading afternoon skies. Even the ordinary, oddly-shaped digger, stood tall and proud in uncharacteristic majesty.

I really do have to get out more often.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Here's my favorite photo from my neighborhood.

Snowy Branch

I took it right outside my front door.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Abandone':

Thank you for that beauty! I almost took it for a celestial entity, set against a blanket of stars.

It's incredible ...

CoCo

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee
    I almost took it for a celestial entity, set against a blanket of stars.

That's what I thought too! AB that is an amazing shot!!

BB

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

Thank you guys. I can't take too much credit though. I took it with an ancient camera and the only reason it turned out is I was in the perfect place at the right time.

• compound complex
    compound complex

What do they say about March's entry and exit? In like a lion and out like a lamb. Well, March can be of mercurial temperment, given that very unpredictable nature of her weatherly outbursts. She can fool us. On a more sinister note, her mid-section - those formidable Ides, such as sent the Empire quaking - leaves those individuals of a susceptible nature uncertain over their very best laid plans.

Our present March made her stately entrance, upon the graceful departure of a primaveraesque February, like a wooly baa lamb, all warm and fuzzy, gamboling about the glens and dells of a sunstruck landscape. Not to be outdone by Apollo in his celestial chariot, a multitude of jonquils, some in formal and staid settings, others scattered randomly in beds of velvety green, were recreating the glory of the sun in a terrestrial abode. The flowering trees filled in the mid-section of our rustic vista with the most delicate of pastel tints and served as a visual lead into a backdrop of majestic incense cedars and pines. The infinite expanse of azure sky envelopes and cradles this dreamy countryside of mine, this land that I call home ...

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

I live in Toronto's eastend.

Sometimes when you say 'eastend', it's assumed you live in the former city of: Scarborough.

But no, I'm in the former old city limits of east Toronto.

The area is noteworthy for it's cultural richness and diversity.

The Danforth, as it's referred to by Torontonians, is famous for it's large Greek community, complete with festivals, restaurants, bazoki bars, and good old fashioned 'Mom & Pop' establishments. There's an old Italian community; but they've moved out and folks from Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea and Sudan, have opened up restaurants and shops. There's a Pakistani-Afghani community wedged in-between and some fun-loving Bangladeshi shops/restaurants between Dawes Road and Victoria Park Avenue.

Lots of everything for everybody. I love it.

Tonight, I went to a new Falafel shop. Very nice. Delicious and inexpensive. Mere steps from the subway station.

I have to only walk south of where I live and I am in the "Beaches" area of Toronto. The lakeshore along Lake Ontario is awesome. Great boardwalk, cycling paths, volleyball on the beach, tennis courts and lawn bowling. It's just nice to sit down on the shore and listen to the water lap up against the rocks and breakwater.

Right now, it's early March. So up here, it's still snowy. Here's a link to a local Toronto photographer. The photo shows the neighbourhood north of where I live, looking over Main Street subway station and the streetcar loop.

http://www.hanifworld.com/Fall%20pics/New%20Nov/East%20Toronto%20View%20Snow%20II.jpg

I will post some images of the Beaches area momentarily.

The link above has several photos of Toronto from various sections of the city. All very good.

If you can't be here, you can certainly take a peek from the comfort of your own home.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Rayzorblade, for your very interesting entry; please tell us more and post some pix of the Beaches area.

Gratefully,

CoCo

• chickpea
    chickpea

sitting in the usual spot, with my laptop displaying the pages of my online course ........ i catch myself looking out the window to the scene two stories below, across the ravine and into the wooded lot.... without conscious effort i see a shape that is not part of the usual snow-covered landscape.... and in another moment i realize a deer has bedded down for an afternoon's quiet at the base of a leafless maple tree, barely ten feet from the deer run that traverses the ravine and provides egress through the yard to the road beyond..... i chuckle slightly as it comes to mind that the hounds sleep on the deck not 30 yards away ..... late winter sun has such a lulling effect!

• compound complex
    compound complex

... a beautiful moment, chickpea ... thank you for sharing.

CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit