MAJOR UN/WTS NEWS- UN LETTER & 1992 Press R...

by hawkaw 589 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

I must admit I haven't read all the posts in the threads on this UN thing yet. I have to ask how Ciro Aulicino fits in here? He actually was my table head when I was a "newboy" back in the early 70's. I liked the guy (of course I bought the whole JW thing hook, line and sinker at that time). He was in the Service Dept, I believe then. Is he a heavyweight in the Writing Dept now?

I think this goes beyond "the rules don't apply to us," however. Yes, this is hypocrisy. But, I think it proves the guys at the top do not really believe the apocalyptic interpretations they've inherited from Rutherford and Fred Franz. The affiliation to the UN was a way to have some clout in dealing with persecuted JWs in refugee camps--with oppressive governments. The cynicism in me wants to believe it was a way to save some money too ("hey, we can get some help from UNICEF with relief efforts!")

What puzzles me are the news articles in _Awake!_ that seeminly promoted the UN agenda. Evidently the UN Press Office was sending faxes to the WTBTS and these were recycled into articles. I guess it helped with the annual renewal of membership as a NGO. I wonder if there's a file at the UN filled with articles clipped out of _Awake!_ sent in by Writing Department? If the guys at the top do not really believe their eschatological interpretations--maybe there's some at the top who actually do support some of the UN agenda on some issues...enough that they'd fudge on the application. Hey, we've all known self-styled "liberal" JWs. I've known some JW elders who would talk with us ex-JWs and admit they didn't believe much of the stuff they had to teach and enforce (they just didn't have the courage to act on their convictions--or were afraid of the consequences if they did!). Maybe, this UN thing is evidence there's a couple of "liberal" members of the Governing Body? A wacky idea, I know. But, I wonder...

• Trilobite
    Trilobite

hawk,

: Tribolite ROCKS!!!

Hmmm...I'm neither an engineer nor a geologist. Still, if you can find any midwestern women who'll be good to me let me know!

t.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Ciro ain't a heavyweight. He's a heavy-duty Writing researcher who digs up quotations that can and will be used to buttress some notion, no matter if they are out of context. That means trotting to libraries, where you have to get a card--even the UN.

Bet you a gazillion they just weren't thinking about the implications of what they did. My point was, If you are at the top you can do many things with impunity, and without giving it a second thought as to propriety.

:I think this goes beyond "the rules don't apply to us," however.

My shorthand for thought process. It's the mindset that allows the public embrace of a doctrine with the head only. These are the senior guys who publicly spout the no-blood policy but who cannot explain it, and privately will tell you it's crazy. They will state it but find it difficult to teach with conviction--what elders are supposed to do--a contradiction.

Catholic Guy, to a person the GB "hate" the UN. All believe such dogma completely. Unfortunately that's what is still hanging up progress; they cling to Freddy-nonsense still. But the mindset does not prevent their letting Harry Peloyan put out a magazine that can be used effectively with governments all over the world. Great PR. Who in the UN would think that Nobel Prize winner is detestable and disgusting in the eyes of the publisher? Yet your cynicism is well founded--they get very pragmatic. (BTW Dan Sydlik gives virtually the same newboy sex talk that you heard three decades ago.)

As Metatron pointed out, the mags have been rather toothless for awhile.

Trilobite, I have someone specific in mind, closer to your old Western haunts, however.

Max

• CatholicGuy
    CatholicGuy

Maximus,

You're probably right. It's more likely those at the top were just not thinking (and didn't really care) about the implications of what they were doing when they applied for this UN status. I'd like to believe there could be a liberal element up there somewhere but that's most likely just wishful thinking.

I personally doubt all the GB really believe the "dogmas." I think some of them may...but I'm not convinced they're all sincere. I know it's a terrible thing for me to say but I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are mainly in it for the power trip (or the retirement plan).

So, Daniel Sydlik does Papa Knorr's talk? My, how times have changed! I still remember when he got his GB appointment. Hadn't he been banished to the hand bindery or some such place at the factory? I remember hearing his floor overseer express his surprise that this guy he oversaw was now on the Governing Body!

CatholicGuy

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

Exactly how easy is it to become an NGO affiliated with the UN? With more than 1,400 NGOs on the list, it cannot be that hard. It's unthinkable, to me at least, that the Governing Body would allow the Watchtower to have this affiliation, knowing the firestorm of criticism and ridicule which would surely follow once the affiliation was discovered.

Which seems more likely? The GB knew about it, or they didn't? And, if they didn't, then what practical joker signed them up?

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"
    http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Hawkaw,

thanks for your constant updating of

informations and the addition material from the DPI files.

Without forgetting the comments about the UN 's Charter:

"This 1968 resolution 1296 Principle 2 is a real killer if you ask me. Principle 2 states "The aims and purposes of the organization shall be in conformity with the spirit, purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations". This principle 2 stays the same in the 1996 update resolution.

In the DPI's web site they talk about support UN charter etc.

Like this one:

"...But when you read Principle 2 it uses the word "conformity".

Last time I checked a dictionary "comformity" means "obedience".

In other words the Watchtower had to "obey" the spirt, purposes and

principles of the Charter of the United Nations."

Excellent, this kind of specifi issue brought to the fore, just

in case someone ...didn't see it!

Thanks for your exwcellent work and effeorts. I do appreciate

them greatly. Btw I did notice some that ...someone managed

to irritate you...! Please don't take much notice, continue

as you can, and as you have beeing doing in those two months,

devoting to this issue. Most of us on the board do see the

efforts, the researches, and all the rest that went and it is

still going on to UNVEIL LIES, HYPOCRISY and DECEIT on the part

of the WTBS. Should you require some specific help, do not

esitate to e-mail me.

To Maximus: welcome back...and I hope you do enjoy this kind

of ride. I'll comment more later.

To Trilobite: I do like your posts!!!

Greetings, J.C.MacHislopp

" One who has an accurate knowledge
    of God's Word will have no problem
    in refuting false religious ideas".

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

MacH,

Irritated me?

No I think I irritated Wendy because I wasn't paying attention to her posts. I told her I was sorry for the mix up but at the same time I want to make it clear I don't dig "prestige" or a "boys only club". Seeing she hasn't responded, I guess she is really pi$$ed. But if that is the way she feels and she wants to go and do the research on her own, well I wish her the best.

I don't really have the time to get irritated.

Take care Mac.

Oh I got a copy of the OFFICIAL UN LETTER IN THE MAIL THIS MORNING with the real Hoeffel signature!!!! It looks nice. I will try and send a good scan to Kent and Randy when I get a free moment.

hawk

Hey Trib - How did you know I was a "rock hound"?

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

This Hoeffel guy has been really accomodating. A hard copy letter will be much better than a fax, although anything has been appreciated.

Give this person our regards and thanks if you have any further communication with him Hawkaw. I figure he must be going out of his mind as to why some group of people are this concerned over such a matter to keep calling him..lol

Much thanks again Hawk to you and others for your work on this one.

Path

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Hoeffel isn't that nice and no he has been far from accomodating. It took bible examiner and myself two full days of explaining etc. before we got what we got. Bx knows exactly what I said to Hoeffel to finally get him to cough up what he did.

The DPI is in reality the department of "cover your ass" right now. They won't release documents but in the same breath they explain that as part of the criteria all NGOs must be transparent. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Only a few days ago did DPI reveal there were "annual accreditation forms" that all "associated" NGOs must complete and submit every year in order to remain an "associate".

The key now is to put the pressure on DPI and the WTS through the press. Ask those embarrassing questions on how the hell the DPI committee could accredit a group who thinks the UN is the evil beast.

Force the UN higher ups to issue a press release and even get a big investigation going as to how in the daylights a cult could become an "associate" with DPI.

Mad Apostate has produced a recent DPI Press Release tha shows DPI issuing new NGO accrediations and kicking out others. I suspect you will see the WTS name mentioned in this press release but it will be at a time when the DPI committee finishes its second round of evaluations in 2001.

hawk

• detective
    detective

Can someone please explain the UN library card issue to me? Do you have to be an NGO to have access to the UN library? I read the threads but must have missed this point.

Next thing you know they'll be holding a library of congress card.
    Ha ha.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit