ALERT: All Child Abuse Lawsuits have been settled. Millions cashed out???

by What-A-Coincidence 229 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    When Joe and I heard about the settlement of these seven cases and the other ones across the country, we were extremely disappointed because we were looking forward to the trials, the first one being set for April 3rd In Napa County. However, now the more we think about it, when the news of the settlement begins to move through the congregations, the Witnesses will conclude what is very obvious, WT could not have possibly allowed any of these lawsuits to go to trial because it would have been devastating to their reputation. If they were innocent, they would have welcomed their day in court to prove their policies were not responsible for the cover-up of pedophiles in the congregations.

Like you and Joe, Barb, I too was very disappointed when I heard this news. From a victim's viewpoint, I can really understand how difficult it is to step forward and deal with the ridicule, and shame, and outright pressure of having to say some very humiliating details of a horrific experience. And as a struggling adult, I can understand certain economic realities (especially when I float a check at the grocery store!).

I would like to think that I would be idealist (and probably stupid) enough to damn the torpedoes and full steam ahead irregardless were it me on the case. God knows I was like that 20 years ago, but then I paid a heavy, heavy price and I can't fault someone for not wanting to go through that if they don't have to.

Still, I think it will take someone who is more willing to expose the truth, whatever the cost, before the public at large becomes aware of the problem.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

E-mail Oprah.com

Have a question about your O, The Oprah Magazine subscription? Please contact customer service or call 1-888-446-4438 with any subscription questions or ...
    www2.oprah.com/email/email_landing.jhtml - Similar pages - Note this

E-MAIL THE PRODUCERS

If you do not agree to the foregoing, we thank you for your interest in The Oprah Winfrey Show and O, The Oprah Magazine but we cannot consider your ideas. ...
    www2.oprah.com/email/reach/email_reach_fromu.jhtml - Similar pages - Note this
    [ More results from www2.oprah.com ]
  • cabasilas
    cabasilas

Glad to see this thread is back up.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Thanks Barbara Anderson, for the confirmation. A settlement is a great win. I think by merely alerting the r&f that the Society was involved in child abuse lawsuits is in itself a great victory. As mentioned earlier in this thread, good dubs are quite isolated and ignorant from Mother's dirty deeds. Talking with a pioneer kid, I mentioned that the Society was involved in lawsuits aplenty, and she had no clue.

If you're still trapped in the tower like myself, just spread the word about the settlements, or just the fact that the Society is involved in them. Most dubs probably don't know what the heck is going on.

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Seems like this hasn't made the media yet. I agree on spreading the word, but I personally need to see it in a major media outlet before I go talking about it. I always mention JW news to my wife (like the recent putting on the market of some of the Brooklyn Bethel properties). I'll be on the lookout for this and post a link if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Thanks WAC & Barb! Good work.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

To settle out of court - does not mean defeat. I wonder if there is a gag order on the amount and individual cases. This could be why Love & Norris are not talking.

Attorneys are required to communicate every settlement offer to their clients and the client always has the final say as to whether to settle the case. The attorney will input his//her experience as to whether or not to settle, but it is ultimately the client's decision. Unscrupulous attorneys will give advice to settle for "easy money" rather than take the case to court where millions could be won. In the end, the client is looking at the money, the trauma of going through court, and the possibility of losing. It's very much like "Deal or No Deal", but in this case conjuring up one's past sexual abuse.

Skeeter

• moshe
    moshe

Attorneys are always looking to pick to low hanging fruit. The most lucrative cases seem to be personal injury lawsuits and now that the lawyers know the WT Society will settle out of court on these pedophile cases the lawyers will begin mining the US for more pedophile cases . California is just one state and there will be lawyers filing cases in other states soon, I bet. I can't wait to see the TV , newspaper and magazine legal advertisements trolling for JW pedophile victims. The brothers in the KH will eventually find out what happened.

• restrangled
    restrangled

As a former legal Secretary in this field, I was thrilled to see that there was a settlement!

I have been involved in 6 million to 10K lawsuits. The fact that it was settled without going to court netted the victims a lot more money.

This also spared them the pain of standing trial, reliving their nightmares and exposing themselves to untold grief and embarrassment for the world to see.

Kudos to Love and Norris~Job well done!

The results eventually will be leaked, maybe not as soon as we would like, but in the long run it will come out one way or another.

GREAT JOB to those involved!

r

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Whilst I too would like to see the watchtower exposed as the lying, hypocritical
    paedophile-shielding organisation that we know they are, I don't blame these
    people for taking the money on offer rather than going through with a lawsuit
    that might go on for years, and with no guarantee of a win.

The org loves money, and I am so happy to read that they have had to part with
    some.

Moshe, I hope you are right with this

Attorneys are always looking to pick to low hanging fruit. The most lucrative cases seem to be personal injury lawsuits and now that the lawyers know the WT Society will settle out of court on these pedophile cases the lawyers will begin mining the US for more pedophile cases . California is just one state and there will be lawyers filing cases in other states soon, I bet. I can't wait to see the TV , newspaper and magazine legal advertisements trolling for JW pedophile victims. The brothers in the KH will eventually find out what happened
  • Simon
    Simon

Frankly, I'm amazed at some of the idiotic comments that have been posted on this topic.

Are you 'disappointed' that someone elses case was settled and didn't go to court? Tough - it wasn't YOUR case to decide.

The people concerned (victims and their representatives) should have a single purpose - to do what is best for the victims. If this means they get compensation then they have done their job. People have stuck with this and got a settlement which is the BEST RESULT FOR THE PEOPLE THAT MATTER

What do people expect is going to happen? Some judge is going to say "hey, y'know what ... I think I'll ban this whole religion for something that happended to a few people by some individuals". Ain't gonna happen ... go for the victories that are achievable.

If people do want to take the WTS to court and not accept a settlement then I suggest they start their own lawsuits and bankrupt themselves in the process which IS what would happen. See page 1 of "how to make sure you get to be a victim twice over" . What people want and need is a result - some closure and some compensation for what happened to THEM, not you or me. I say good luck to them and well done. I think taking the money is EXACTLY the right thing to do with no question.

The reason there hasn't been as much publicity about this as the Catholic church is that guess what ... there are millions more Catholics than there are JWs ... to most people they are a little blip of a footnote when it comes to the worlds religions.

This is not about and never should be about people's "quests" to get even with the WTS for what happened to them using other peoples misfurtune and suffering as some way to attack the WTS by proxy. Let's remember that please.

Well done to those involved in winning compensation for these victims.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit