Are JW's generally better than average people?

by JH 299 Replies latest jw friends

• Rosalee
    Rosalee

"meek" .. Scriptural word .. not mine.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, and the JW's are inordinately fond of it. I wonder if JW's might be tempted to simply "write off" skeptics who don't meekly settle down to a regular round of study.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Rosalee...I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm going to guess that you have been a JW less than 10 years. I have heard the exact same words, thoughts and ideas expressed by you for the last 34 years.

Having an ongoing discussion with someone for years can be possible. Most now days though are apathetic to any doctrines of any religion. Most don't see the immediacy of the message being brought to them .. as in Noah's day.

What makes Rosalee's message any different than Rutherford's "Millions Living Now Will Never Die" in 1925, or my MIL's explanation to my future wife in 1973, that she would never make it out of HS and that they would watch Armeggedon out the front window of their home?

Please don't mistake common sense for apathy.

r's hubby

• Rosalee
    Rosalee

jgnat .. what are JWs inordinately fond of?

Do you have a hidden agenda? Something about being 'written off'?

• jgnat
    jgnat

I wonder if it is apathy or skepticism? In rosalee's defence, recent surveys do indicate that this generation is much less interested in spiritual matters. How has the church failed them?

http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=BarnaUpdate&BarnaUpdateID=215

http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=BarnaUpdate&BarnaUpdateID=105

From the second article:

Some of the information points to a seminal shift in religious thought and behavior. "Young adults profess an interest in spirituality, but their preferences are moving in a different direction than might have been assumed: more than one out of every five adults under 35 is atheistic, agnostic or affiliated with a non-Christian faith. Less than half that proportion of the people 55 and older fit that pattern," explained Barna. "Similarly, men appear to be easing away from Christianity, and millions of Hispanics are rethinking their faith views and church ties. The implications of this period of exploration and re-determination are huge, given the correlation between the nature and intensity of people's faith with their moral and lifestyle choices."

Another question remains, are Jehovah's Witnesses at all immune to this shift in religious priority? I would suggest they're not.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    jgnat .. what are JWs inordinately fond of?

The word "meek".

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    as in Noah's day.

Tell us about "Noah's day" Rosalee.

Have you ever been in a meeting with other elders, after praying to Jehovah for His holy spirit, only to witness them lie their asses off?

I have!

Have you observed higher-ups in the organization discussing tactics for obtaining maximium returns on the "voluntary" donation arrangement?

I have!

Shall I continue sister?

• Rosalee
    Rosalee

Witness live in the same world and are affected by apathy too. Keeping on the straight and narrow was never offered as an easy option.

• Rosalee
    Rosalee

The word meek is well found here in Isaiah 61:1,2 which says in part

..to tell the good news to the meek ones.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I offer an alternative interpretation of "Noah's day". I suggest the speaker was describing people doing things they always do, oblivious to the events unfolding around them. I don't think the listed activities are evil or wrong. We all eat, drink, marry, and give our children away in marriage. If we don't eat, we die. I'm glad I took the plunge and got married. I wouldn't take back that day for anything. Should I have been paying attention to the earthquakes, the global warming, and the 'plagues' and given up eating and marrying?

http://www.blueletterbible.org/cgi-bin/versions.pl?book=Mat&chapter=24&verse=38&version=KJV#38

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit