Your View On BREASTFEEDING In Public

by minimus 143 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

As I've said, I'm all for breastfeeding!

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    The point is that most mothers feel it to be demeaning to be asked to go ANYWHERE special to feed their babies. Being asked to go a place specifically designed for shitting in, no matter how clean it is kept, just is adding insult to injury.

Then why is there a special place in bathrooms for changing babies? A baby feeding = natural, a baby shitting = disgusting.

The comparison between breastfeeding and injecting oneself with medicine to deal with a life-threatening disease is particularly inept

A mother needs to feed her baby by exposing her breast, an insulin dependent diabetic (usually) needs to inject themselves by exposing their butt. Either of which someone can get offended by seeing. I'm comparing the exposing of a body part for a necessary life function of the person, I don't see how exactly that illustration is "inept".

is that nobody should be required to "cover up" when feeding their children, just to avoid offending some neurotic weirdo who gets physically sick at the sight of someone being a good mother, or to keep some oversexed misogynist pig from being inconvenienced by his boner, or to prevent some withered old harridan from being filled with righteous indignation because her Victorian-era morals are being challenged. Covering up implies that there is something dirty or offensive about feeding one's children; there is not.

I don't see why this continually gets to the argument. The question is "would you be offended by this" which people have responded with they would be offended by a woman taking out her breast in public regardless of the reason. You can tell me a hundred times that there's nothing dirty about it, you can tell me there's nothing offensive but you're stating your opinion. In your opinion this should be allowed, in my opinion I don't want to see some woman's breast while I'm trying to shop. It's really strange if I kiss my wife in public passionately some people will get offended and will tell us to "get a room", if a same sex couple kisses in public more people will probably be offended, but I don't hear anyone saying anything about changing society's morals to allow this freedom of expression. The complete freedom of expressing love, but if I say that I'd rather not see a woman's breast in public regardless of what's attached to it, my morals need to change.

So far the reasons people are giving for breastfeeding in public is that:

1.) It's natural: and so is going to the bathroom, which I don't want to see either.

2.) It's inconvinient to have to go somewhere to feed the child: This just sounds ridiculous to me, alot of things are inconvinient we don't change them to accomidate everyone in society.

Something I'm missing?

People can and do get offended at alot of stuff. If I drop an F-bomb in public I'm going to get stares from parents who don't want their kids hearing that kind of language. If I wear a t-shirt with a naked woman on it I'm going to get people saying they're offended by my shirt. There are things I can't talk about without offending people, even if they're natural things that I'm talking about. If I ask someone "will you be offended if I say this word in public" I can't go off on a tirade about how it's inconvinient for me to watch my language while I'm around them, and that's it's natural to use this kind of language when they tell me they will be offended.

• happy1975
    happy1975

Tuesday - Uptight much?

-Happy (who is far more worried about people seeing her post baby flabby belly than her nice perky breasts)

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Jeff, I googled for an image on "breastfeeding" and I came up with the same picture:

If that were my "view" on breastfeeding, I would be all for it.

Seriously though, this woman should expect stares from people. It's hard to resist.
    If she didn't get upset at people staring, then fine. If she wanted people to respect her
    privacy, then she should place a small cloth or jacket over the (fantastic) spectacle.

Public displays of affection are really no different. If you make out in public, or kiss
    goodbye at the airport, either put up with the ogling or get a room.

• Jez
    Jez
    an insulin dependent diabetic (usually) needs to inject themselves by exposing their butt.

That's stretching it. My diabetic friend just quickly shoves a needle in her stomach after eating and does so quickly, even in a resturant . Butt? Um, get your facts straight.

Jez

• Nowman
    Nowman

To Wanderer and the other that posted that picture of the woman with the beautiful breasts, I want those! My breasts are just misquito bites after having 3 children, but I wear a good bra...let me know where I can get those boobs!

Nikki

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I am always amazed at how easily humans can be offended about things that are perfectly natural.

W

• razorMind
    razorMind

HA!!! I want you to trot on over to my hometown and point out a Walmart or a Target that has "special parking for mothers." I know they exist, but not where I am. Oh, maybe I'm supposed to drive about 45 minutes to do my shopping at one.

Again.....99-degree weather in the shade, car sitting outside. Makes NO difference how "close" the car is, it will still be boiling hot. I have never been to any public parks here that were as nasty at the public bathrooms I have seen. I would not sit next to a dirty homeless person to breast-feed. Your "argument" makes absolutely no sense. If you don't like it, turn your head away. Nobody's forcing a gun to your head to watch. UGH. I'm out of here.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

That's stretching it. My diabetic friend just quickly shoves a needle in her stomach after eating and does so quickly, even in a resturant . Butt? Um, get your facts straight.

The four friends I have that are insulin diabetics inject there, and my insulin dependant mother in law does too. But your friend should trump my example, apparently to use an illustration I need names and addresses of people. I'll mark that down for next time.

HA!!! I want you to trot on over to my hometown and point out a Walmart or a Target that has "special parking for mothers." I know they exist, but not where I am. Oh, maybe I'm supposed to drive about 45 minutes to do my shopping at one.

I'm not where you are as I stated in an earlier post. I said where I am the parking spots are here, in fact they're the first 2 rows. They were all over the RI stores and I just moved to Louisville and they're here too. I don't care where you shop ma'am.

I have never been to any public parks here that were as nasty at the public bathrooms I have seen.

Another argument about where we've been. "Mom I swear we've driven by this sign before".

If you don't like it, turn your head away. Nobody's forcing a gun to your head to watch

As I said in my previous post I wouldn't like it and I would walk away.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I am not at all ashamed to say that I would like to be that baby right now. Just sayin'.

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit