Your View On BREASTFEEDING In Public

by minimus 143 Replies latest jw friends

• under_believer
    under_believer
    The point is that most mothers feel it to be demeaning to be asked to go ANYWHERE special to feed their babies. Being asked to go a place specifically designed for shitting in, no matter how clean it is kept, just is adding insult to injury.

Then why is there a special place in bathrooms for changing babies? A baby feeding = natural, a baby shitting = disgusting.

And the ice gets thinner. There is a special place in bathrooms for changing babies (sometimes, if the proprietors give a crap about mothers or have updated their bathroom lately) because the bathroom is a place for dealing with shit. That's what the place is for. Asking someone to go in there for other "undesirable, offensive" activities like feeding one's child is implying that those things are similarly unclean and/or wrong. You are deliberately trying NOT to get this point.

The comparison between breastfeeding and injecting oneself with medicine to deal with a life-threatening disease is particularly inept

A mother needs to feed her baby by exposing her breast, an insulin dependent diabetic (usually) needs to inject themselves by exposing their butt. Either of which someone can get offended by seeing. I'm comparing the exposing of a body part for a necessary life function of the person, I don't see how exactly that illustration is "inept".

Again, you're equating being a good parent and feeding one's child with having a disease. Do you see how you are thinking about this? Now you have said that breastfeeding is equivalent to both a) shitting and b) having diabetes.

Besides, as far as exposing body parts goes, I have to expose my hand for a necessary life function (eating). Why should someone be offended by someone else exposing their breast, over my exposing my hand? Explain to me why you don't want to see a breast, but don't mind seeing a hand.

I don't see why this continually gets to the argument. The question is "would you be offended by this" which people have responded with they would be
    offended by a woman taking out her breast in public regardless of the reason.

The question was "your view of breastfeeding in public," not "would you be offended." It's interesting that you jumped straight to that, though. What I haven't heard is why you find this offensive.

You can tell me a hundred times that there's nothing dirty about it, you can tell me there's nothing offensive but you're stating your opinion.

My superior opinion. So you are saying that breastfeeding is offensive and dirty? Again, why?

In your opinion this should be allowed, in my opinion I don't want to see some woman's breast while I'm trying to shop.

I don't want to see some deformed guy, or an amputee, or a kid with snot running down its face, or some pizzafaced teenager, and yet I have to. Living with other humans sometimes entails seeing things one would rather have not seen. Taking offense when one sees something one would rather have not seen is taking it to another level. You go from "that sight is distasteful to me" to "that person has wronged me with their existence." Are you comfortable making that statement?

It's really strange if I kiss my wife in public passionately some people will get offended and will tell us to "get a room", if a same sex couple kisses in public more people will probably be offended, but I don't hear anyone saying anything about changing society's morals to allow this freedom of expression. The complete freedom of expressing love, but if I say that I'd rather not see a woman's breast in public regardless of what's attached to it, my morals need to change.

Ah, so now feeding one's baby is the same as playing tonsil hockey, and should be treated the same way. Another great comparison. Just as a side point I think people (including you) are too uptight about PDA too.

And yeah, if you say you'd rather not see a woman's breast, and yet you're okay with seeing men without shirts, then yes, your morals need to change. Someone who feels that way is a woman-hating sexist.

So far the reasons people are giving for breastfeeding in public is that:

1.) It's natural: and so is going to the bathroom, which I don't want to see either.

2.) It's inconvinient to have to go somewhere to feed the child: This just sounds ridiculous to me, alot of things are inconvinient we don't change them to accomidate everyone in society.

Something I'm missing?

1) "It's natural" is not a good reason for breastfeeding in public, but I'd point out that you are again equating this most loving act a mother can perform for her child with defecation.

2) Yes we do. Ramps for the wheelchair-bound. Noise laws. Handicapped parking. Inconvenience is a great reason for changing society. People have already tried to explain this to you and you didn't get it, but I'll try again: Imagine if you were only allowed to eat at the mall was in one specific room, way across the whole mall, away from everyone else who was eating.

So I ask you again: why is breastfeeding offensive to you? Why are women's breasts offensive to you for that matter? Why don't you want to see them? Why do you say breastfeeding is dirty? I just don't get it.

• ninja
    ninja

I tried it once...all the women got annoyed for some reason

• found-my-way
    found-my-way
    why is breastfeeding offensive to you? Why are women's breasts offensive to you for that matter? Why don't you want to see them? Why do you say breastfeeding is dirty? I just don't get it.

Great questions

Why are people so offended???

It's NOT dirty OR shameful.

Its a breast with a baby suckling on it.

Women have been breastfeeding for eons. They didnt worry about covering up either!

I think when you find out the root cause of your issue with breastfeeding, you might be surprised at the reason why.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Its a breast with a baby suckling on it.

Women have been breastfeeding for eons. They didnt worry about covering up either!

I think when you find out the root cause of your issue with breastfeeding, you might be surprised that the reason why.

Babies..................good.

Breasts................good.

Suckling...............good.

Women................good.

Uptight people that have issues with the above....................................

Nvr

• minimus
    minimus

NVR, that pic looks like a mama with bought boobs.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    NVR, that pic looks like a mama with bought boobs.

Nah minimus! They look way real to me. But don't trust me. I've never been a boob man per se.

Nvr

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

Minimus, I'd wager that those boobs are probably not bought...they are naturally beautiful....

I bet many of the moms here that breastfed could relate to having those generous milk-filled breasts....they are amazing....

*sigh* I miss my boobs

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

There, there black unicorn. Didn't your Momma teach you,"Don't cry over sucked milk"?

Nvr

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

*flicks nvr*

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

OUCH!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit