Your View On BREASTFEEDING In Public

by minimus 143 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

People need to eat. Adults and most school age children have some measure of control over when and where they eat. Babies do not. When a baby is hungry, he or she needs to be fed.

My position on breastfeeding is that if you want to be fed when you're hungry, then feed the baby when he or she is hungry. Too many times, I've seen parents set their visitors' "comfort" ahead of their baby's needs. The visitors have come to visit mom in the hospital and to see the baby. The feeding might be awkward because the baby hasn't learned to breastfeed effectively or the mom might be shy. They end up paying for a missed feeding later, though, when the baby wants to feed all night long. The moms are in tears, the baby is howling, the dad is frustrated and sleep-deprived too. One of the things I teach my new moms and dads is to feed the baby whenever the baby shows an interest in feeding. In the first two months or so, a baby can eat between 8 and 12 times in 24 hours. If you have errands to run, often times it is just not possible to get anything done in the very brief interval between feedings, unless you compromise and plan to do a feeding outside the home.

Babies are babies for such a short period of time. There's no reason to get insulted or grossed out if they are breastfeeding in public. Most North American women do their best to be discreet when they breastfeed in public... we just aren't as accepting of the natural function of the human female breast as we are of silicone-enhanced bikini-clad titties designed for male tittilation. That's a really sad situation regarding what we value in this society, isn't it?

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    we just aren't as accepting of the natural function of the human female breast as we are of silicone-enhanced bikini-clad titties designed for male tittilation. That's a really sad situation regarding what we value in this society, isn't it?

In total agreement here.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I am a former breastfeeding mom, and don't have a problem with doing so in public. I always tried to be discreet (who needs pubescent boys and dirty old men ogling you when you are feeding a baby??) If a woman didn't have a great covering and the baby needed to be fed though-baby comes before prudish adult sensibilities.

I am still wondering about those (apocryphal?) women who 'whip out their breast'. I personally never mastered the art of whipping it out. . .

• Xena
    Xena

It's funny when you think about it, I mean while breastfeeding is something I enjoyed doing it was also a huge pain in the ass at times. I mean you think we enjoy milk stains on our tops? Chaffed nipples? Having strangers gape at us? Trust me most breastfeeding moms would much rather be somewhere private where they don't have to worry about someone accidently getting a glimpes of their boobs.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl
    I am still wondering about those (apocryphal?) women who 'whip out their breast'. I personally never mastered the art of whipping it out. . .

ROFLMAO

I am going to start practicing now!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

..BreastFeeding..???..I don`t mind,as long as the kid is willing to share..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

totally normal and natural - there are ways of being discreet. A woman recently breast fed her baby next to me on a trans atlantic flight. Perfectly normal.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Breast fed is best fed and I should know !

fokyc

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Thank you Brother Apostate for the cartoons! They are perfect!

In my other life, I was a volunteer lactation consultant. So you know I am going to be pro-breastfeeding. I think the more women will do it in public, the more people will AGAIN become used to the idea that breasts make milk, and babies need to drink it. The human race has been breastfed in public since creation, but only in the last 100 years has Western civilization forgotten this. In my role as consultant I have seen some very open breastfeeding, but I was always very discreet with my own babies. I was at a congregational picnic, baby #1 was happily suckling away, some clueless single guy friends came over to see the little one. Doug stuck his face down really close. He was very embarrassed when he realized what was happening. I took it as a compliment on my discretion but I hope it didn't stumble him later.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

I would like to add that breastfeeding is difficult enough in the beginning without people making you feel that you are doing something dirty and disgusting. If I see a mom nursing her baby, I try and encourage her with a comment like, "That is such a beatiful thing to see. Your baby is getting the best gift you can give!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit