Report on Todays special talk

by stillajwexelder 78 Replies latest watchtower bible

• watson
    watson

The brother that gave our "special talk," did mention that the International BIble Students, as we were known then, in the late 1800's pointed to 1914 as an important pivotal year......Hmmm, it seems that it was much more than a "pivotal year" to those early Bible Students.

• KW13
    KW13

the only thing special about these talks is everyone notices you weren't there.

• jeanV
    jeanV
    I was JUST re-searching JW Forum AND the Watchtower Library to check on the Earthquakes thingy again. You are right, our speaker mentioned the same statistic - and I am in an European country - he had the outline in his hands and read from it!!!! So it must be in the outline.

it is in the outline. I had opened another topic on the same subject:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/132701/1.ashx

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

I wonder did they bother to cite sources on their figures? I get mine on earthquakes from these guys.

http://interactive2.usgs.gov/faq/list_faq_by_category/get_answer.asp?id=153

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

The earthquake thing was definately in the outline because the speaker here went on and on about it. Also, the Spanish flu (which didn't kill as many people percentage wise as the Black Death did in Europe). And about how how some 150m were killed in wars in the 20th century. Again, I haven't checked the previous centuries but given the explosive population growth, it would be interesting to compare the likelyhood of being killed by war today with centuries of old.

There was also some time devoted to staying in the spiritual ark, for which a strange definition was given. The defination here (not sure if the speaker did this on his own or not) was that the spiritual ark was the spiritual paradise (I thought it was Jesus, but there I go forgetting the JWs aren't a Christian religion). Anyway, I thought he was next going to say the spiritual paradise was only in the org. He did (of course) but in a round about way. He said that the only people in the spiritual paradise were those in the congregation that were displaying the fruits of the spirit. So, just being in the "ark" isn't good enough, you have to be there and be acting in accordance with Jah's will.

The way he went about it was very confusing. It was ALMOST as if he was saying that accepting Jesus as our Savior and developing the fruits of the spirit is good enough. I don't think he really meant that, but to an outsider, that's what it sounded like. Perhaps it was just sugar coating. I don't think this guy is not toeing the company line, but then again, I gave the special talk last year and I've made quite a bit of progress. Did anyone else have a 5 min portion on what the spiritual ark & spiritual paradise stands for?

Also, the cry of "Peace & Security" has been made since the 1980s according to this speaker when discussing the verse in 2 Thes. I haven't hear this scripture discussed in several years.

• greendawn
    greendawn

This has been their approach for as long as I can remember them, the world is such a terrible place and how good it is to be under the protective roof of the motherly organisation the wife of jehovah. It is just despair, they are trying to prevent their followers from losing motivation after the 1995 admission.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It sounds like a warmup for the convention cry (again) this year that
    "the end is just around the corner."

Good call DB

So, just being in the "ark" isn't good enough, you have to be there and be acting in accordance with Jah's will.

I wonder how Noah got those sons and their wives in line to do this. "Feed those elephants, rinse down
    those alligators, prepare for the Watchtower study."

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

That reminds me. They played up the scripture (I think the Luke account) where Jesus presence would be similiar to the days of Noah. The Bible account doesn't mention anything about it being the same amount of years, just peoples attitude. But, the speaker mentioned how Noah preached for 120 years. Again, not sure if that was in the outline directly or whether the speaker was just adding some information. My ears peaked up because I thought there was going to be a strong implication that 120 years could be a target date. But, he never made anything close to that sort of committment. I still think the WTS is nothing without a date and they are going to have to do something prior to 2014. I've been of the opinion for a while that there will be a date set of 2034, mainly out of despiration.

OTWO, I'd much rather be stuffed in a creaky wooden box filled with wild animals than to sit through the meetings!!!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

That reminds me. They played up the scripture (I think the Luke account) where Jesus presence would be similiar to the days of Noah. The Bible account doesn't mention anything about it being the same amount of years, just peoples attitude. But, the speaker mentioned how Noah preached for 120 years.

Yes agreed - it was the same at our hall

• Zico
    Zico

My talk (done by my Dad) was also very similar to all mentioned here, including the Earthquake statistics.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit