• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

exactly dozy

• mouthy
    mouthy

All Witness produced speeches and books only have three points:
    1) The end is near;
    2) The Society is "the" channel;
    3) Salvation only comes by working for the Society.
    That is IT in a nutshell

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    He said there had been a 20 fold increase in devastating earthquakes since 1914 - this despite a March 2002 Awake contradicting that.

So they have now admitted that they were wrong on that? Ha ha, I missed that one. I remember being engaged in this heated argument with a jw on this board a few months ago (was it ThirdWitness?), on this very issue. He, of course, supported and promoted the old Watchtower-dogma, that there had been a significant increase in earthquakes bla bla bla since 1914, while I argued against that. I wonder what he (whoever he is) thinks about the retraction of that claim, in the Awake of 2002.

Must be tough being at the headquarters in Brooklyn these days. Back-pedalling on almost every issue... I`m loving it!

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Does anyone recall the frequent quotes from the book "Famine - 1975" when the Watchtower was focusing in on that date. And does anyone recall the complete silence thereafter?

This is typical of the Watchtower Society's stategy. It will use whatever data is available that seems to confirm their predictions. But when it fails, mass amnesia seems to spread throughout the organization. Or the Society will blame its members for "reading in too much" in what it published. Rarely, if ever, does it apologize for its mistakes.

Concering earthquakes Professor Markus Bath said: "For earlier centuries we do not have the same reliable statistics, but there are no indications at all of any increase in the activity in the course of time."

• jeanV
    jeanV
    Presumably the "tabulation" was made by the WTS.

True, but you have to read the sentence carefully at a first glance it sounds like the tabulation comes for the NGDC

He said there had been a 20 fold increase in devastating earthquakes since 1914 - this despite a March 2002 Awake contradicting that.
    So they have now admitted that they were wrong on that?

Not exactly. Check the site quoted by blondie http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/earthquakes.htm which is a MUST read, that says:

Awake! 2002 March 22 p.9

“Some say that any reports of an increase in the number of earthquakes are simply due to advances in technology, which enable more seismic events to be detected. … The U.S. National Earthquake Information Center reports that earthquakes of 7.0 magnitude and greater remained “fairly constant” throughout the 20th century . … Note, though, that the fulfillment of Jesus’ prophecy does not require an increase in the number or power of earthquakes. All Jesus said was that there would be great earthquakes in one place after another. Furthermore, he stated that these events would mark the “beginning of pangs of distress.” (Matthew 24:8) Distress is measured , not by the number of earthquakes or how they rate on the Richter scale, but by the effect that they have upon people .”

This is still verging on being deceptive for a number of reasons. Firstly note how it says seismologists state that earthquakes have been quite consistent during the 20 th Century. Seismologists rarely use the term 20 th Century. What they do state is that it has been fairly constant over thousands or even millions of years. By using the term 20 th Century the impression can still be held by uniformed Witness members that the 20 th Century was more prone to earthquakes than those that preceded it.

So no back-pedalling, just misinformation (and twisting of statistics), the official WTBTS position is: no increase during the 20th century but increase compared with previous centuries.

The back-pedalling is on having abandoned certain sources like Geo Malagoli.

• architect
    architect

Our speaker said in the begining that Russell and Barbour without any doubts knew that 1914 was the begining to the end. They knew unquestionably that was the year that would mark the times of the end.

Amazing how is just a few sentences the WTBS can get the masses thinking the "untruth". By it being a new outline- now its in the minds of all present that crap except for those who know the "truth" about Russel and Barbour.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

This is concerning the latest assembly and not the Special Talk---but on the same mindset where a gal (a former JW) on another board posted this:

Just talked to JW sibling...they called me with "GREAT,NEW INFO!!!!" at the latest assembly. Guess what??? The end is near!! This JW sibling was so excited and just "had to share" with me this great new message... supposedly the WTS has decided we're in the End of the times and it's even more important to get in service and bring in new ones. I know, you want to call your family, relatives, newspaper...this is big news.

Supposedly, this is also the time to try to bring those studies into baptism, and the new arrangement of WT and Awakes is a sign of the End.

I'm not trying to make light of this. But.

Please.

Even advertising companies can re-invent the wheel.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I remember by Brother-in-law after the famous 1989 WT was published that said the preaching work would be complet before the end of the century. He was so excited. Wow the end is really near, the end is near. The bound volume changed that of course

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

The special talk comes to you from the FDS scary spook entity show . Welcome to the scary inner FDS sanctum. (SCREEEEEeech SLAM)

Muhuuuhahahaha. 1914 are you scared? 1918? how about 1935? MUUUUHUHUHUHUHhahaha (SCReeeee SLAM)

Come on scoob lets get out of here!!

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

This is still verging on being deceptive for a number of reasons. Firstly note how it says seismologists state that earthquakes have been quite consistent during the 20 th Century. Seismologists rarely use the term 20 th Century. What they do state is that it has been fairly constant over thousands or even millions of years. By using the term 20 th Century the impression can still be held by uniformed Witness members that the 20 th Century was more prone to earthquakes than those that preceded it.

AHA! I hadn`t even thought of that! But now that I see it, I feel like throwing up. Ahhh, they`re so sneaky, ha ha! God, the north-korean regime should hire Bethelites to produce their propaganda material for them, I tell you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit