Merry Becomes A Muslim (a bit long)

by Merry Magdalene 147 Replies latest jw experiences

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    Glitter: You said: It was after I saw a documentary entitled Suffer the Little Children exposing the problem of child molestation coverups in the Society that I went online to see if there was a follow-up on those who had shared their stories. That led me to Silent Lambs, Free Minds, and the Jehovah's Witness Discussion Forum. What about Aisha?

What a great question! I'm amazed I didn't make that connection myself as I was writing as I am usually able to anticipate questions and issues from other points of view that may arise. This is an issue that I have found troubling as well and am still researching and pondering. Rather than share where I am with it now, may I get back to you?

~Merry

Thanks for your comments, Black Swan. Best wishes always

Papha:

Thanks for sharing your experience. But I've always been puzzled by the attraction of blacks to the Muslim movement. All down through history, it was the Muslims who enslaved the blacks even well before it was done by white Europeans and continued well after the "slave trade" to the West was discontinued. They were involved in the trafficking of slaves during the entire time. If blacks reject Christianity on the bases of these past abuses, wouldn't it also apply to the Mulims who were in the business long before and long afterwards?

This is something with which I am not familiar and must read more about. All I am aware of so far is that the Qur'an allows slavery but strongly encourages setting slaves free, and "The first call to prayer at the Quba mosque built by Prophet Muhammad was given in 622 by Bilal -- a black slave freed by the Prophet." Racism, or the supposed superiority of one race over another, is not condoned in the Qur'an. I am beginning by reading herebut will read elsewhere as well.

Lisa: all muslimed out!

LOL!

anewme: Somehow I have the feeling this will be but a stepping stone in your religious journey Merry.

You and LittleToe both! Thanks for reading.

Quandry:

Perhaps they are not all this way. Perhaps they do not all hate "infidels" and feel that they must be killed. Just like with the witnesses, not all want to cover over child abuse, etc.

I just don't see it.

So many tragedies in this world! Some areas are so bad. I can understand your feelings, so I hope you will keep looking and discerning that what is wrong in some Muslim societies is contrary to what is taught in the Qur'an. And there are also Muslims pushing for change, for education, for relief and for peace, just as there are many Americans who do not condone the American killing of innocent women, children and elderly in Middle Eastern countries. I can imagine it would be hard in those conditions for people there to see anything good in us, but some still manage to.

~Merry

back in a bit!

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Merry,

I didn't respond to this one for a while, didn't know what to say really. Personally, I like you, but I am all religioned out and think it is all a method to control and/or divide people. But, if it works for you...

J

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

• its a challenge to get people to look past their own ignorance and accept your decision
      • weird / concerned looks in public (I'm making an assumption on your behalf)
      • family and friends and who aren't involved in it with you think you're crazy / loosing it
      Quality post Richie!
  • Euphemism
    Euphemism

First off, kudos for converting to Islam in a tiny town in Northern Idaho. You obviously aren't too concerned with what people think of you. Or maybe you enjoy being different.

Question, though... how can you really say that this is not driven by emotion, unlike your previous religious experiences? I have no doubt that you have found something positive and fulfilling within the Islamic tradition, and part of that seems to be the explicit disavowal of personal fulfillment. (Narkissos has written some great stuff in the past about the appeal of self-renunciation; mostly in a Christian/JW context, but it sounds similar to what you are doing now as well.)

OTOH, can you fully say that you accept Islam as an intellectual proposition? If you've read through the Quran several times, you realize that it contains not only the many positive quotes from the site that you linked to, but also many quotes that I suspect you disagree with (e.g. the infamous 'fight and slay the pagans wherever you may find them' (9:5); fornicators or adulterers should be flogged with a hundred stripes (24:2); condemnation of homosexuality; etc). The scholars of Sharia and Wahabbism can support their position from the Quran just as eloquently as the more liberal Muslims can.

Even slavery--you say that the Quran discouraged slavery, but still allowed it. That is understandable given its historical context. But if the book is so dependent on historical context, how can you say that it is "what everyone thinks God, in theory, should have given to mankind but didn't"? Shouldn't the book that God gives, if there is such a thing, be good for all times and places?

Anyway, I don't mean to be argumentative, but since you posted this thread, I assume you expected some discussion to ensue. I apprecate reading your experiences, and respectfully look forward to hearing your thoughts in reply.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

BluesBrother: Hi Merry, thanks for sharing. Around here it is a cosmopolitan area and in the city it is not uncommon to see women wearing the headgear and dress (forgive my calling it that but I do not know the correct names) I think you are brave and committed to do so in a small American town. Thanks for that. I wish I could get out and travel a bit. I've always wanted to do. My personal experience in this regard is very limited adn I have yet to meet another Mualim in person. I do have an online friend, an American convert to Islam, who is hoping we can make arrangements to get me to Jordan one of these days for a visit. She has a home there as well as in the US.

My superficial reading of Islam has shown me that it is a world away from many peoples perception of it . Moderate Islam is surely a force for good in people's lives. That was my take on it as well.

If you are happy with it, I am sure that God is happy with you too.

lonelysheep: Do you think your treatment would be different if your skin color was? I've never been to Idaho, and in this part of NJ, it's no big deal.

I don't know. Growing up, the only racial diversity I saw was cowboys (loggers, etc.) and Indians. There was a lot of prejudice against the Indians here (on and near the Niimiipoo rez) and I heard some very strange ideas about "black people" from older folks when I was a teenager. I think there are one or two black families in the immediate area now, a few Mexican families, and maybe a couple of Chinese families. I do wonder what their experience has been here. I have also heard that a Middle Eastern family (from where I do not know) bought or are running a gas station in the next town over and locals were referring to them as terrorists and Muslims.

RichieRich:

What an awesome story Merry. Thanks Rich! That means a lot to me.

I see a lot of loose parallels between the path I have chosen and the path you have chosen...

• its a challenge to get people to look past their own ignorance and accept your decision
    • weird / concerned looks in public (I'm making an assumption on your behalf)
    • family and friends and who aren't involved in it with you think you're crazy / loosing it

Let me know if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, I can empathize with you. I read your Interesting Occurence! I have to say, worlds apart and yet we understand each other (at least to some agree). This world needs more empathy!

unbeliever: When I first read you had converted I felt you traded in one high control cult for another high control cult. Understandable. I think it is a misunderstanding but an understandable one. I read your journal entries on myspace. Very informative reading from your prospective. I am friends with a couple of ex muslims and they don't have very many positive things to say about the religion. I would be interested in knowing their experiences. I don't believe that women have as much freedom of choice as you have been led to believe. I just hope for you and your daughters sake that your experience with Islam stays a positive one. I hope so too, but, whatever happens, I intend to learn from the good as well as the bad. Rest assured that I am a fiercely protective and loving mother. My experiences with men and family and religion outside of Islam have been a mixed bag, and I am guarded against repeating past mistakes, so I appreciate your good wishes.

jeanniebeanz: I didn't respond to this one for a while, didn't know what to say really. Personally, I like you, but I am all religioned out and think it is all a method to control and/or divide people. But, if it works for you...{{{jeannie}}} I like you too. Personally, I don't think religion itself is a method to control and/or divide people in a negative sense but can certainly be used that way by unscrupulous people. I think both individuals and societies need certain controls and divisions for their well-being.
    ~Merry

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Euphamism: First off, kudos for converting to Islam in a tiny town in Northern Idaho. You obviously aren't too concerned with what people think of you. Or maybe you enjoy being different. I am generally of the opinion that I don't do things just for the sake of being different, I need a better motivation than that, yet I do kind of like being different. I've have also always been concerned with what people think of me; I crave understanding and acceptance, and there is a part of me that wishes I could please everyone all the time. But I try not to allow that to control my decisions, to run my life or even to interfere too much. Seeking to please God above all else has been a good antidote, I think.

Question, though... how can you really say that this is not driven by emotion, unlike your previous religious experiences? I have no doubt that you have found something positive and fulfilling within the Islamic tradition, and part of that seems to be the explicit disavowal of personal fulfillment. (Narkissos has written some great stuff in the past about the appeal of self-renunciation; mostly in a Christian/JW context, but it sounds similar to what you are doing now as well.) I maintain that my present experience and conversion was not driven by emotion although it does contain an emotional component. I don't think I disavow personal fulfillment, Islam is not about asceticism, but I do not make it my main focus and the criteria by which I guide my actions. That is the difference.

OTOH, can you fully say that you accept Islam as an intellectual proposition? If you've read through the Quran several times, you realize that it contains not only the many positive quotes from the site that you linked to, but also many quotes that I suspect you disagree with (e.g. the infamous 'fight and slay the pagans wherever you may find them' (9:5); fornicators or adulterers should be flogged with a hundred stripes (24:2); condemnation of homosexuality; etc). The scholars of Sharia and Wahabbism can support their position from the Quran just as eloquently as the more liberal Muslims can. I am still studying and researching what you mention here, but I can tell you that balance and context is essential for understanding and acceptance and translation of these matters into daily modern life and law.

Even slavery--you say that the Quran discouraged slavery, but still allowed it. That is understandable given its historical context. But if the book is so dependent on historical context, how can you say that it is "what everyone thinks God, in theory, should have given to mankind but didn't"? Shouldn't the book that God gives, if there is such a thing, be good for all times and places? I do believe it is good for all times and places, and soon I hope to do an in depth investigation into this subject, as well as a couple others. I believe the instructions as they were given would naturally lead to a phasing out of the slavery that then existed, at least for those who understood and implemented the guidance therein.

Thanks for all the comments and questions. As I hope you can tell, I don't have all the answers, but I am not afraid of questions, my own or anyone elses, and I am pleased to be able to hold a reasonable discussion about it. I am not offended by your feelings, thoughts and perspectives, and I do not feel under attack. There is a difference between attacking someone and challenging them, and I love to be challenged. The other I don't like so much.

~Merry

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    anewme: Somehow I have the feeling this will be but a stepping stone in your religious journey Merry.

You and LittleToe both! Thanks for reading.

LOL - yes, I think this was also part of our conversation about six months ago, wasn't it? Well, credit to you in that you've survived over six months. I hope you're not just trying to go the distance because of my comments

Hehe, I know you're not, and I'm glad that you are enjoying your studies and finding fulfillment. But I stand by my "stepping stone" comment of yesteryear. Your soul is too celtic to remain confined for long...

... I hear call of the sea, in the whispering song of the breeze, the roar of the fire, and the heartbeat of the soil beneath...

Slainte Bha.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

any form of religion limits you to a set of beliefs. why do you limit yourself again?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

WAC:
    You have a set of beliefs, yourself, even if you don't call them "religion". Why do you choose to limit yourself?

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Ahhh, that was beautiful, LT.

And I'm glad you're back, WAC, cos I didn't know how to respond to ""

LT: WAC:
    You have a set of beliefs, yourself, even if you don't call them "religion". Why do you choose to limit yourself?

That's kinda what I was going to say, but then again isn't "limited" a lot like "confined?"

LT: Your soul is too celtic to remain confined for long...

Or am I missing an important distinction?

~Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit