Merry Becomes A Muslim (a bit long)

by Merry Magdalene 147 Replies latest jw experiences

• Quandry
    Quandry

To each his own. Thank you for your explanation.

After the Witnesses, I researched many religions and asked questions.

I rented a video put out by a middle eastern Muslim group attempting to bring the plight of Muslim women to light. It seems that in some areas, women are little more than sex objects. In the video, the women were to, of course, be totally covered, and not even feet could show. The movie centered around a woman whose husband had died. She lived with her mother and daughter, about twelve years old. She was actually a doctor, but due to poor economic conditions was not being paid. Every time the religious authorities came to the hospital, she had to completely cover herself. She had no money and no recourse,and since she was a woman working was discouraged, so she cut her daughter's hair, disguised her as a boy and sent her to a man who knew her husband, so that she could work and try to make some money for the family. The religious leaders came through the village, taking all the young boys, and she was taken also. They were to be indoctrinated in the manly ways of Islam.

It was found out that the "boy" was really a girl, and she was taken to prison. There, an old man, a religious leader, decided that instead of being put to death as many other women were being (stoned, after being thrown into a hole, for any minor infraction-totally covered of course) she would go with him to his home and be another of his women. She was locked into a ratty looking compound with many young women and small children who were telling her (through sub-titles) that they hated the man, wished they'd never been born because they were women, and that she would shortly feel the same way.

Perhaps they are not all this way. Perhaps they do not all hate "infidels" and feel that they must be killed. Just like with the witnesses, not all want to cover over child abuse, etc.

I just don't see it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hi Merry, thanks for sharing. Around here it is a cosmopolitan area and in the city it is not uncommon to see women wearing the headgear and dress (forgive my calling it that but I do not know the correct names) I think you are brave and committed to do so in a small American town.

My superficial reading of Islam has shown me that it is a world away from many peoples perception of it . Moderate Islam is surely a force for good in people's lives.

If you are happy with it, I am sure that God is happy with you too.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

What an interesting array of replies to wake up to!

I must read them all again and ponder them...

~Merry

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Wow. You dont get many threads like this come up!

Ya sure don't! I'm a little surprised Merry, but your avatar kind of hinted at that a while ago.

I have been gawked at a few times in the small town where I live (pop.675), but most of the people here have treated me very nicely (to my surprise, I must confess). There are no other Muslims that I know of in the immediate area and the closest Masjid/Mosque/Islamic Center is 100 miles away in a college town. It is a pretty conservative very Christian area.

Do you think your treatment would be different if your skin color was? I've never been to Idaho, and in this part of NJ, it's no big deal.

LS<------wonders how many readers are disgusted and wide eyed
    also wonders how many readers are on their way down the same path

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    Deeskis:

I also wondered about something you mentioned in myspace, but didn't continue.......

it was about your ?christian experience, and the intense relationship you felt with Jesus...........how does that fit in with your new beliefs?

I was reading something in the early stages of my conversion process that was like a splash of cold water in my face, waking me up to something I was very attached to, a way of understanding and experiencing the world that I was quite fond of until I realized it might actually have been damaging to me all those years--my romanticism:

To understand how romanticism is confused with religion, it is necessary to fully understand the idea of "sincerity." Sincerity is doing something in order to gain the approval of God only. If the act is truly done with sincerity, it is counted as worship in the sight of God. For example, praying, fasting, giving alms, working in the cause of God, and all other acts of service, are to be regarded as acts of worship, only if they are undertaken to gain the approval of God. Worship performed without the intention of gaining God's approval is invalid according to God's command in the Qu'ran: "So woe to those who pray, and are forgetful of their prayer, those who show off" (Qur'an, 107, 4-6) This is also clear in the words of the Prophet Mohammed, who said, "God accepts those deeds which were performed purely for His sake and which were meant to seek His pleasure."12

It is in this manner that romanticism distorts religion. It directs religion towards a purpose other than gaining the approval of God; it represents religion as an emotional experience, in which people may satisfy their emotional needs, not to be practised for the pleasure of God.

By obfuscating this subtle but very important distinction, romanticism leads people to a completely false understanding of religion, the end-result being mysticism. When people cease to understand religion as submission to God, and begin to regard it as a means for "psychological exhilaration," then a number of mystical practices are sought, submerging them even deeper in this false approach.

I realized that this was what I had always done, as a Pagan and as a Christian, and it was kind of like a drug. It then occurred to me that the things I had experienced while "under the influence" of my romanticism were not reliable experiences. It was very very hard for me to let go of them, they were treasured parts of my life and romanticism was deeply ingrained in my psyche, but I felt that I must try.

I now respect Jesus as having been a special prophet with a mission and a message I wish had not been distorted. I would like to know more about it as it was and was meant to be. It is surely one of the trials of this life that humans, whatever their religious orientation (yes Muslims too) are always messing things up and making life more difficult for each other. But we must still do our best.

And thanks for your compliment, Dee. I also appreciate it when people make me think more and consider things differently, and you have done that for me as well.

~Merry

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

What an awesome story Merry.

I see a lot of loose parallels between the path I have chosen and the path you have chosen...

• its a challenge to get people to look past their own ignorance and accept your decision
    • weird / concerned looks in public (I'm making an assumption on your behalf)
    • family and friends and who aren't involved in it with you think you're crazy / loosing it

Let me know if I'm wrong, but if I'm right, I can empathize with you.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

double post.

DEMONS!!!

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    LittleToe: It sounds like your Turkish friend was as persistent as a JW There are similarities and there are differences. I'm happy with both. This thought also has the makings of a good knock-knock joke.

So you're simply an excessively romantic theist with a penchant for mysticism, as supplied through a foreign language (Arabic), then? I'm in rehab. See above post to Deeskis.

...and with a substitute set of Middle Eastern religious baggage and ancient texts? I don't suppose you'd like to be a gentleman and carry my bags for me, would you?

~Merry

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    Zagor/John: How long did you investigate this new religion? I'm still investigating, since last year. I investigated a little before I read the meaning of the Qur'an through the first time (3 translations), and a lot during and after. and what method of investigation did you use? (meaning did you read only pro-Islam literature or did you try looking it from other angles) I used both pro-Islamic and anti-Islamic sources as well as more neutral ones (if there is such a thing). It was important to me to research my questions from as many angles as possible. And being a JWD addict, I had to search out Islamic apostate sites as well, don'tcha know?! You don't have to answer if you feel that goes too far but I would appreciate very much so if you took time to answer. Another subquestion would be, would you change your path if you found something even more revealing in another religion or philosophy? Ok that's three questions :) In order for that to happen, I would have to believe that I had been entirely mistaken about this one, and at this point it would be hard for me to imagine that happening. Not that I doubt I can be mistaken, I have been many times about many things, just that this all fits together and makes sense to me like nothing else has.

~Merry

• unbeliever
    unbeliever

Merry,

When I first read you had converted I felt you traded in one high control cult for another high control cult. I read your journal entries on myspace. Very informative reading from your prospective. I am friends with a couple of ex muslims and they don't have very many positive things to say about the religion. I don't believe that women have as much freedom of choice as you have been led to believe. I just hope for you and your daughters sake that your experience with Islam stays a positive one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit