by Merry Magdalene 147 Replies latest jw experiences

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    as does LT, represents herself with dignity, humility and honesty

OH PLEASE!!!!!

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

WAC,

"Islam is a religion in which God requires you to send your son to die for him. Christianity is a faith in which God sent his Son to die for you."

A breathtaking summary of cheap bigoted Christian prejudice...

tell me that this religion is not a cult ...

A religion which embraces nearly one quarter of mankind, with stunning inner diversity of beliefs and practices, hardly qualifies as a "cult" if I understand the common use of this English word correctly -- although there are certainly a number of Islamic "cults" as there are Christian "cults". And this has nothing to do with their (limited) set of common beliefs.

would you personally believe this ????

No, but at some point I realised that it was absolutely no less believeable than the average Jewish or Christian set of beliefs.

Incidentally, one moment of realisation I still recall was in Jerusalem, on the temple mount, about 15 years ago. Our guide (a Jew, an Israeli and an archaeologist) made an excellent summary of the consecutive narrative strata (Jewish, Christian, Muslim) which were built over that place. It suddenly came down on me how absurd it was to look up to one part of this fairly consistent legendary corpus as highly respectable and to look down on the other partas plain stupid. Once he remarked, "if you want to get a mental picture of what the people in the Second temple period were like, don't look there (at the Jewish worship spot facing the Wall of Laments) but here (in the mosques area)". This day was a big step to me in realising and moving from my (henceforth unconscious) religious prejudice.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

WAC:This from the guy with a blowup doll and a cut and paste attitude to Fundamentalist Christian websites?

Caedes:
    As I have stated many times, I mean only that scientific enquiry starts with the imagination to find something to explore and quantify. If scientists lose this imaginative aspect of their profession then we are condemned to just catalogue the natural world, and might as well give up Quantum science right now...

The mantra should be "what if...?"

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:

would you personally believe this ????

No, but at some point I realised that it was absolutely no less believeable than the average Jewish or Christian set of beliefs.

Very well put

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence
    This from the guy with a blowup doll

Okay, that is a low blow

Nark: Call the facts whatever you want to call them.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Okay, that is a low blow

You've hardly been the most intelligent of conversation on this thread, yourself...

When you decide to loose yourself from the confines of religious bigotry, maybe you'll find yourself able to express a tolerant opinion that addresses the real issues of an individuals choice of lifestyle.

I don't agree with Merry's conclusions, but I'll fight for the right for her to express them, insofar as if it "harm none".

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Nark: Call the facts whatever you want to call them.

Sorry WAC, my remark was aimed explicitly at this:

" Islam is a religion in which God requires you to send your son to die for him . Christianity is a faith in which God sent his Son to die for you."

Neither of those two sentences qualifies as fact to me, and the two put together make up a shameful, dishonest comparison of the utterly uncomparable. (1) Suicide attacks in a recentpolitical context disguised as the description of a 13-century-old religion; (2) a Christian theological and apologetical statement.

If you want to compare (1) with something comparable, try the Catholic and Protestant militiae in Northern Ireland, or the Christian ones in Lebanon. If you want to compare (2) with something comparable, try "'Allah merciful and gracious". But please don't compare the worst of A with the best of B. You are ruining your cause, whatever it is.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

Nark: You got me man. Praise ALLAH!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

WAC,

Nark: You got me man.

You state this as if it is something out of the ordinary.

Judging from the content of your posts on this thread, you could be 'got' by a blind archer. HS
  • hillary_step
    hillary_step

WAC,

as does LT, represents herself with dignity, humility and honesty

OH PLEASE!!!!!

I take it that you disagree with my assessment of the posting style of Merry? It is always an idea to present evidence for your views rather than blowing hot air, that is, if credibility is an issue with you. HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit