by Merry Magdalene 147 Replies latest jw experiences

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Thank you for sharing your story Merry.

lisa

• onlycurious
    onlycurious

Merry,

You seem to have gone all over the board with practicing religions from all across the spectrum.

From the jw's to wicca, pagan stuff? Amazing.

Then on to worshipping with the more liberal sector of the Christian camp.

And now Islam. In some ways you've come full circle. Islam's view of women and the intense necessity to pray 5 times a day gives me the chills. You seemed to have stepped right back into a religion that doesn't allow you to breathe.

• Mystla
    Mystla

I find myself identifying with the child that you were. I was teased for my ability to sit and watch a spider for an hour. Or for playing with salamanders. Or for spending more time up trees than on on the ground. I was a "reader." I loved to read more than anything. I would read in the car, on the bus, walking to get the mail.. especially while up those trees that I loved to climb. I read the Narnia series so many times I considered the characters to be friends, when I didn't have any "real" ones.

I, too, lived in fear that someone would discover that I knew less. Less than what or whom, I don't know.. but less. I still, to this day, will pretend to knowledge I don't have, rather than admit ignorance.. silly, isn't it?

We may have taken very different spiritual paths, but I greatly admire your faith and your ability to stand up for what you believe in.

Misty

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    onacruse: If I may ask another personal question: Do you know why I asked my question?

no, I don't. Am I about to find out?

onlycurious: You seemed to have stepped right back into a religion that doesn't allow you to breathe.

I know you didn't mean it this way, but I had to laugh because I have had minor breathing problems all my life and it is only recently, during prayer, that I have found myself breathing fully and freely and easily. Why or how do you feel that Islam doesn't give me breathing room?

Misty:

I find myself identifying with the child that you were. I was teased for my ability to sit and watch a spider for an hour. Or for playing with salamanders. Or for spending more time up trees than on on the ground. I was a "reader." I loved to read more than anything. I would read in the car, on the bus, walking to get the mail.. especially while up those trees that I loved to climb. I read the Narnia series so many times I considered the characters to be friends, when I didn't have any "real" ones.

I, too, lived in fear that someone would discover that I knew less. Less than what or whom, I don't know.. but less. I still, to this day, will pretend to knowledge I don't have, rather than admit ignorance.. silly, isn't it?

I just want to hug you, kindred spirit! I resemble those remarks.

Thanks, Lisa, and thanks to all of you for reading what I wrote, I'm amazed you even tried and made it through.

~Merry

• bernadette
    bernadette

Thanks Merry for sharing your story.

Was just reading the rlink on women's rights in Islam.

Women Rights In Islam Regarding Education

The Qur'an and Hadiths of the Prophet both obligate Muslim men and women to acquire knowledge and education. It is a duty for every Muslim. For example, concerning knowledge and education the Qur'an Sura 35 Verse 28 states:

Those truly fear Allah, among His Servants, who have knowledge.

Prophet's Hadiths repeatedly emphasizes the acquirement of education and knowledge for every Muslim male and female. For example, one Hadith states that, " Seeking knowledge is a duty of every Muslim, man or woman." (Ayisha Lemu 1978: 25). Another Hadith states, " Seek knowledge from the cradle to grave." (1978:25). Another Hadith states that, " The Father, if he educates his daughter well, will enter Paradise." (The World Bank Report July 9, 1993: 25). Yet another Hadith states that, " A mother is a school. If she is educated, then a whole people are educated" (1993: 25).

Can definitely vouch for that - at the scool that I attended, 98% were muslim (all girls), everyone was a dedicated student. The environment was amazing - equipped me with a love of learning for life.

Islam without the politics is very spiritual.

wish you you well on your journey.

bernadette

• onacruse
    onacruse

Merry, my dear lady! You are such a dear person, and I love you for being so willing to share with me (and yet further explain to me) the exploration of what I've come to understand as the oh-so-simple and yet-so-complex nature of families and relationships.

The firstborn child has a unique obligation in life: the leader, the inquisitor, the conquestor. I am myself a firstborn, and I've learned much about how I "played my role," even though I didn't know that I was playing a role...it was virtually scripted out for me from the day I was born: not by God, or Allah, but by nature.

Being raised a JW just accentuated that predisposition in me, and even more with me as a white, tall, blonde-haired male.

Do I see parallels between Christianity and Islam? Oh, you bet!!!! The sociological and anthropological comparisons just scream at me, as they have with other posters too numerous to mention.

Thus my suggestions about your own path in life: I can and do certainly respect it, as your adult choice, but it's the "why and wherefore" that got you to the point you're at right now that is most telling.

Does this make any sense?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I did not raise the issue of Islams and Muslims on this forum, nor did my new friend Hado, but as I found it falling under attack again and again I felt moved to address it from another, different perspective--mine. ~Merry
    Hi there Merry - I am glad you chose to do this. I have avoided bringing it up though of course the headgear in your avatar and your myspace page made it abundantly clear where you were at right now. My reaction concerned me. I worried - does that mean I mean racist? Do I hate people who are muslim? I examined further and realised that actually its not Islam that I hate. Its religion of any kind. I despise myself for ever submitting to anything other than my own mind. And of course, and I mean no offense in this, I probably tend to look down on those who chose religion over what I see as logic and common sense as being weaker than myself. (LT and I regularly debate this, but we agree to disagree. I appreciate he finds it hard not to look in the mirror every morning and think he is heavenly - I have the same problem! LOL - just kidding) Its very hard to be this honest. No one likes to look close-minded - least of all me. We all have to get by one way or another whatever crutch we choose and call it. I haven't really found mine yet, but then I reject everything that I think I might be using as a crutch (not necessarily successfully I hasten to add before I get jumped on!). Religion is just at the top of that rejection list. I realise using the word crutch has scathing or disparaging connotations, but I couldn't think of one that worked better for me. There are quite a few feminists turning Islam over in the UK too. Personally I feel for some its like a new way of expressing feminism. Its reactionary for the most part. Rebelling against one authority (the Labour regime in Britain and the choices made regarding the Iraq war and social isolation of the growing Muslim population within the country), but turning to another. We don't need a god to tell us what to do. We dont need a book. We don't need a club. However I can understand that we may become better people doing things as a team as part of an organised network/religion - weight watchers works quite well for many for instance. We only need our hearts and an open mind though really. But by nature human is a sociable animal (well most people's!!!) All the answers as to what is appropriate behaviour were with us when we were born. I think inately we do know what is right and wrong. Sometimes perhaps we choose not to listen or read ourselves or true motives and allow them to be obscured by selfish desire. (I do that all the time and reap the consequences.) I think if this is what helps you survive and keeps you sweet and kind, after all you have been through dear Merry, then I wish you happiness and companionship in this life style choice. Never lose the ability to question with an open mind. We often surrendered this for the dubs. It would be an enormous mistake not to question objectively material that is presented with obvious bias. (PS I thought of you last week as in my local town centre there was a stall entitled what it means to be muslim. I thought about going up and asking them what it meant to them, but I was too shy!)
  • Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Thank you for sharing your perspective and experience, Bernadette, I always find it interesting.

Whys and wherefores are always fascinating and complex, aren't they, onacruse? Definitely. No denial.

Crumpet, I'm so glad you shared your honest thoughts and feelings, and so nicely too. That isn't always wasy to do.

I appreciate all of you and I do like to at least try to look at things from as many different sides as possible, without leaving myself nowhere.

Thanks again! I've got to get to bed. Hope everyone has a good day.

~Merry

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Wow. You dont get many threads like this come up!

Firstly Merry. thie important thing is you are happy. Simple as that really. Good on you!!!

Secondly, while I have absolutley no interest in organised religion now, it was quite refreshing to have someone explain where they are coming from without ramming it down your throat! And, while I'm not interested, you get a HUGE amount of respect from me for the way you delivered it.

So, sincerely, all the best Merry, I hope Islam continues to make you happy and give you what you need.

Paul x

• Crumpet
    Crumpet
    I appreciate all of you and I do like to at least try to look at things from as many different sides as possible, without leaving myself nowhere.

I am so glad. I understand that last bit too - thats a lovely way of putting it "without leaving myself nowhere". I think I hinted at that: that in my rejection of everything and resistance to attachment to anything or anyone it does tend to leave me in a bit of a no (wo)man's land! LOL!

Thank you Merry for not taking offense. It is very very hard to be honest and not patronising and I thank you for the opportunity to do so. I'd also really be interested in reading ocassional day to day threads about what being a muslim means to you, how it affects your individual choices - just the mundane and ordinary stuff. It would be very enlightening to have a greater understanding of the appeal of Islam in simple terms especially from a westerner's perspective. So do feel free to return to the subject and whilst I will always debate and discuss with you remember I will be giving my own opinion and shall try not to be delineating your stance at any point because a) I am very fond of you and b) you have been utterly respectful and gentle in your representation of your beliefs. This more than anything gains my personal respect - I don't respond well to fanatic zealousy anymore!

Sleep well!

Nina x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit