Your Opinion Wanted-What should really be done to child molesters?

by avidbiblereader 96 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Just as lepers are provided with a colony separate from the rest of civilization in order not to contaminate anyone else, perhaps a place could be made for pedophiles to inhabit together, so as not to be a threat to the rest of society. They could live there, have employment and support themselves, have medical and psychological services provided, have significant others (yes, there are SO's of both genders) and be a civilization unto themselves, fenced off from the rest of the world. At least they'd have a chance at a more normal life than the one provided them after serving time in prison. And they would never be a threat to the rest of civilization again.

Frannie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Talk about repression, punishment, protection or even therapy (as necessary as those can appear to be from a short-term perspective) obscures (and, really, postpones) deeper and more disturbing questions, such as, why has child molestation become such a central issue over the last few decades?

In a sense crime is a mirror of society. There is a direct connection between the structure and "values" of society at any given time and the kind of "crime" which challenges them through transgression. My opinion is that our current views about sex, childhood and individual identity, and their specific grounding in (now mostly secularised) religious ethics, somehow generate this kind of crime as the most shockingly meaningful. The strongest the social reprobation, the more sickly attractive it becomes to "sociopaths". Society never kills, mutilates, tortures, emprisons or even "cures" fast enough to eradicate its "evil" -- no more than any of us can successfully run faster than his/her own shadow. At some point one has to stop and face it -- own to it in a sense.

Trying to understand the painfully ununderstandable is more difficult than howling to death with the "good people" crowd, but sooner or later that's what society has to do. And, really, that's what people actually dealing with such issues have to do already, far from the noise of popular political discussion.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm so sorry for everyone of you that have suffered due to this issue! No story is more or less important or painful than another. Having said that, Frannie, yours really punched me hard in the heart. I think I may be repressing memories of abuse, hey (no joking) Ewart Chitty was a guest in my home when I was 5 y.o. I'm just not prepared to "go there" right now. I'm afraid of what or, better said, who I might find there.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your painful sagas. I'm left wondering when's some higher power going to intervene and say "From this second on, I will not allow not one more innocent child to be raped or abused." Those of you that have experienced such abuse and yet still have faith are amazing and worthy of admiration.

Love and respect to all of you,

Nvr

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

My heart is very touched by all of your experiences....

that said, i agree with frannie, I think there are some who can be reabilitated, and many who cannot, the island is the most humane and the most practical idea, but expensive.....

rope's cheap!

As long as it keeps our kids safe.

If I ever found out that any of my boys have been molested, and this is just me, but I would probably kill or at least seriously injure that person with my bare hands.

the mother bear instinct in me....

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    the island is the most humane and the most practical idea, but expensive.....

Prison is expensive and the prisoners do not earn their keep. A colony would provide each of them with employment, a way to support themselves, unlike lepers, who become physically unable to work. The SO's being employed in gainful positions would help to offset surely a substantial part of their expenses. More so than life imprisonment with no gainful employment.

I do understand that on the other hand, a lethal injection is relatively inexpensive........to the state.

Frannie

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

We could stone them to death.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    We could stone them to death.

What if it were your own offspring that had done the deed, MsMcDucket?

• Mary
    Mary
    Frannie said: I was raised by my mother and stepfather and subjected from approx. age 11 yo to being molested repeatedly by my stepfather, his brother, my step-uncle, a cousin's husband, my half-brother (when I was 7 yo), and a brother-in-law........my two older children were molested by their step-grandfather, as well.

Frannie, my heart breaks for what you went through as a child.....it is indeed sick that these perverts did this to you and they should all be shot and pissed on. But what I don't understand is how your two older children were molested by the same man that molested you. Surely you didn't leave your boys alone with this creep. How in god's name did he get access to do this to them?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Frannie said: I was raised by my mother and stepfather and subjected from approx. age 11 yo to being molested repeatedly by my stepfather, his brother, my step-uncle, a cousin's husband, my half-brother (when I was 7 yo), and a brother-in-law........my two older children were molested by their step-grandfather, as well.

Frannie, my heart breaks for what you went through as a child.....it is indeed sick that these perverts did this to you and they should all be shot and pissed on. But what I don't understand is how your two older children were molested by the same man that molested you. Surely you didn't leave your boys alone with this creep. How in god's name did he get access to do this to them?

With all due respect Mary, I think this illustrates precisely how complicated this issue is on so many levels.

Nvr

• mama1119
    mama1119

If someone ever touched any of my children I would not feel satisfied that justice was served until that person was dead. And not of natural causes. Be it death penalty or at the hands of someone in prison.

And, while I understand that perps are tricky little devils, I would never, ever leave my children alone with a person who gave me the least bit of a feeling that I shouldn't. I do not care if people think I am over protective or suspcious of people. The person that will keep them the safest is me, so if that means I take them everywhere with me, instill a little fear of strangers and check the sex offender register monthly, so be it. But I will do everything in my power to keep it from happening to my kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit