Your Opinion Wanted-What should really be done to child molesters?

by avidbiblereader 96 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

Really, really tough call. I'm not up for brutality for any person. If they are to be put to death, then that is their fate. Why should we let ourselves be turned into monsters for the sole purpose of killing a monster.

They are sick, sick people but on the other side not all of them are guilty. I have heard enough cases of parents in custody disputes training their children to claim abuse that instant brutal death doesn't sit well with me. Naturally this is much rarer than the real offense, but our legal system is seriously flawed, especially family court.

I think they should be sent to prison for a minimum term without any possibility of parole. In this time they need to seek counciling and only when they are making progress in council can the possibility of parole be introduced. No early parole, but if they aren't working on getting better, they should never be let out.

If somebody can be proved 100% guilty and is deemed likely to reoffend then I support a swift death penalty.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Torture?

If torture is ok, why should we feel the need to stop child abusers? Heck, all they're doing is torturing another human.

I believe in a combination of long incarceration (including lifetime for many offenders), humane castration (I've seen no scientific evidence for the "it's not sexual" belief), and even therapy, all depending on the specific circumstances of the offense and the offender. (It's not well known, but some programs have very good success in stopping young offenders from re-offending with intensive behavioral and psychological therapy). And, if society wants to impose death as a punishment (which I don't believe it should anymore), then some cases of child abuse would seem to me to be worthy of the harshest penalty society has to offer.

I believe that prisoner on prisoner violence, including rape, no matter who the victim is or what they've done, should be treated even more harshly than violence in the free world.

• Cold Creek Swimmer
    Cold Creek Swimmer

It is a known fact that there is NO REHABILITATION that works for pedophiles. IF the death penalty seems too harsh, then castrate them. I would prefer the death penalty. Why should a predator of that sort be allowed to roam freely in a society so geared toward child welfare? I have always wanted to hear from those who are against the death penalty in these cases. Why should they be allowed to live, or freed after "paying their dues"? The victim is never free from his/her memories. Why should the perpetrator be allowed to go free?

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    The victim is never free from his/her memories. Why should the perpetrator be allowed to go free?

I was waiting for someone to say this and this is so true, it is always there, it affects the person during movies, shows, jokes, everywhere they go, it is always there. I will hold my thoughts for now but some are way kinder than me. This is such a struggle for me, not with the abuse but my thoughts directed to them!

abr

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Castration and wear an implanted tracking device at all times. BA

I don't know how you can beat this as a response. As other posters have mentioned, as heinous as the crime is the death penalty and torture seem like non-solutions while at the same time they dehumanize us.

Castration accomplishes two things.1 It robs the perp. of sexual power and, perhaps more importantly, 2 it prevents reproduction. This second aspect is important because many, not all, molesters are children of molesters.

Nvr

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Death!!!

Just kill them and get it over with so they can't hurt another child.

nj

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

How about automatic life sentence w/ no chance of parole OR 25 years and chemical castration... Their choice!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I would like your opinion about something that has bothered me for quite awhile although I will be posting more on this subject in more detail in a week or so.

At what age can a male become a criminal sex offender? I had a cousin who molested a girl who was about age 5 when he was 15. I've heard rumors that there may have been another young girl involved. This happened about 19 years ago. The elders in his congregation swept it under the rug and he ended up going to Bethel, later married a witness girl and has two children (boy and girl) by her. My father was an elder in their congregation and he felt and still feels that since the young man was young, it wasn't that serious and that, since he's married now, everything is OK. My father tried to get this "brother" appointed as an elder. It didn't happen and there's quite a story to that which I'll tell in another post. No empathy for the poor girl who is now disfellowshipped because it messed her up emotionally. (I found out about all this about four years ago.)

My own brother molested me when I about 9 and he was about 15--that was many 56 years ago. Somehow I managed to get him to stop by threatening to tell my parents. After that we started studying with JW's and I truly thought and believed that everything would be OK now. After all, the Bible says, "The former things will not be remembered nor come into mind." I also felt that I must forgive him. It wasn't until the last five years that I've come to realize what a societal problem this is and was astounded to learn that most molesters don't change their habits. For years (naive me) I thought maybe this was just a teenaged thing. Don't forget, years ago people just didn't talk about things like that.

I began to recall the problems my brother had with his daughters as they were growing up. Finally, about two years ago I called my brother's ex-wife and apologized for not telling her sooner but thought she should know now. Although she couldn't stand my brother for other reasons, she replied that she had no suspicions of anything but would definitely try to find out and would get back with me. I tried to call her a few times after that and got no answer. Several months later we got the news that she died. They live over 2,000 miles from me.

The crazy part about this is that there are three daughters. The two younger ones are messed up emotionally, but the oldest is very normal and balanced (for a JW that is) and seems to get along with her father OK. Could she be in denial just like I was?

Bonnie

• KW13
    KW13

i agree with the above, castration and tracking devices would suit me fine, child molesters are scum and death is too good for them.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

As far as I am concerned the principle at Rom 2:14,15 says volumns about at what age for a child molester

Romans 2:14,15 14 Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. 15 They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right

When even a young one at early age does this and later attempt to hide the facts, they know it is wrong. There is no age for a child molester, they damage people no matter what their age is.

abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit