This board is not for me.

by Wafe 142 Replies latest jw friends

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

This board isn't for me either. But I proceeded to keep staying, for some reason.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    My belief in the Bible is very deep and I need to be with people who share the same mind but are not intersted in money as was the WTBTS.

There are only a few like that here. But, they have a hard time, as you can imagine. Secondly, they sometimes start out like that, and then lose it. Maybe there is a discussion board somewhere on the net that is like that. But, it would need to be a closed board, so as to keep out the naysayers. No doubt some churches are like that.

S

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Maybe this board isn't for you. But maybe it just isn't what you expected it to be. This forum is much broader than just bible topics, though they're certainly welcome.

While you're re-establishing a social network in the real world, it can help to at least have something here. Sure, some here are disrespectful. And the odd few are complete loons. But there are some very nice people too. I am yet to be classified.

• Pahpa
    Pahpa

Wafe

Sadly many who have left the organization have been so devasted by their experiences in the Watchtower Society that they feel the need to reject God, Christ and the Bible. Perhaps, it is because they equated the Watchtower with their faith in God. In any case, they are wounded and hurting. And they lash out at those who they feel responsible.

It reminds me of the small child who, in anger, may say to parents "I hate you" or "you're not my parents." In time the anger may cool and the love may return.

Christians use patience and kindness when dealing with people who are hurting and suffering.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"Sadly many who have left the organization have been so devasted by their experiences in the Watchtower Society that they feel the need to reject God, Christ and the Bible. Perhaps, it is because they equated the Watchtower with their faith in God. In any case, they are wounded and hurting. And they lash out at those who they feel responsible.

It reminds me of the small child who, in anger, may say to parents "I hate you" or "you're not my parents." In time the anger may cool and the love may return. "

Yes, sure. That's the reason.

Wafe, if you are uncomfortable here, then perhaps taking a step back from the board would be useful. Having your long-held beliefs challenged can be painful. And yet, we are no longer jw's because we have wanted the kind of dissent that this board allows. Perhaps, you have confused your beliefs with who you really are. You are NOT your beliefs. Don't take the discussion here so personally. It's all just words.

tall penguin

• Gill
    Gill

Only 15% of the world population is of the Christian faith, I believe.

If the Almighty God of the Bible was the real God, (and in saying that I'm not saying there is no God), but if he was, I think that there would be a much higher percentage of christianity in the world. I suspect, that Christianity is a westernised Judaic religion, and in saying that accept that Wafe may find that offensive. But, Wafe, perhaps it's time to wake up and look at the Big Picture, and not just the Big Picture, but the REALLY BIG PICTURE. Those who have been trapped in 'We are Right, and everyone else is wrong' belief system for a very long time can find that a very, very difficult thing to do and so cannot accept why some might poke ridicule at a Jewish storm God, but might be more respectful when they consider there really might be an Almighty creator who made everything and is above the ridiculous, jealous, psycopathic genocidal ways of a small minded storm God.

The Big Picture is what matters and in saying that, it doesn't mean there isn't an Almighty designer.

But perhaps you are only at the beginning of your searches for the real history of the Bible, and that is a very confusing place to be until all the information that you have been denied for so long begins to slot together.

I recommend you read, read, read, and study study, and study and you may well be surprised if not shocked at what you find.

Good luck on your journey, Wafe. You have taken your first steps to mental freedom, don't be afraid and give up now because of superstitious fears but keep learning.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Wafe,

As we have briefly interacted yesterday -- for the first time I think (?) -- on the "David" thread I figure I may have been instrumental in your considered decision (although to my knowledge I didn't insult anyone, god or man).

I can relate to your feelings only in part. When I left JWs 20 years ago (with approximately the same human consequences as yours) I was very much of a believer in Christ, but definitely not a Bible apologist. My interest for the Bible texts, though, has survived what I deemed a necessary critical approach.

I would agree with jgnat: by all means try to find a Christian group you are comfortable with. I did, and this was a beneficial experience.

Don't expect JWD to be your church. It can't. You will be able to give and receive more, even here, if you don't.

Best wishes.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Wafe,

After having been taught for so many years that one's existence is tied to an imortal being that wants us to not act like the animals we are, and that we only have meaning in relation to His existence, its difficult to face the reality that we are born to die. We cannot fathom the fact that this life is all there is despite the physical facts as we know them, entropy of all there is. To give up a tribal book with all its interpretations of future life is too much when the option of eternal dissolution is the reality.

Some live for their children. Some live for their religion. Some live for the stimulus of both.

I hope you find a board that will fit your need, it just isn't mine anymore and I aint changing your you or anyone in Brooklyn any more.

I was in service once years ago with a 16 year old lad. A man at the door said, "I can take that Bible right out of your hand by saying this, I'ts just a book by men." The lad, who later became presiding overseer some 15 years later said, "No you can't". I said, "He can do whatever he wants. If you don't like it, move on to the next door." The boy was incredulous over the man. I thought then just how narrow being raised in the "Truth" had made him. Give it time Wafe, you'll see that not everyone will pat you on the back for holding onto beliefs they've dumped for reasons they feel are as valid as yours.

I'm sure that at this step in your exit from Dub'dum you still carry some of that distrust we had hammered in our heads and hearts towards anyone who believes different than us.

Hope you're back to share the good things happening in your life and journey.

W.Once

editing for pathetic spelling

• DJK
    DJK
    I have grown weary of hearing the same complaints about the Bible over and over again that not only have an answer but are really simple to find if one wants to bother to look. However what I have found is that some people here are not interested in finding the answers, they just hate God, pure and simple and need to be vocal about it. Now that is thier business and they are allowed to do so. I have no right to tell them otherwise. I guess I just get a little tired of hearing the same complaints over and over again. At this point I need time away from the fights and intelliectual attacks on something I care about so much.

I can see your point here. Like an ex smoker who hangs with smokers or an ex heroine addict who hangs with heroine addicts. Your trying to maintain the smooth river without the obstacles of rocks. You know what is good for you, thumbs up for knowing what it is and best wishes to you. Ken.

• bernadette
    bernadette

Sorry that you are leaving and don't feel the board is for you for the reasons you have stated.

Perhaps in time you'll come to see the board as a melting pot, sometimes a flaming cauldron in fact - but what comes out of it, eventually, is devoid of any pretentious stuff - that to me is completely unlike Jehovah's witnesses.

Jesus was very outspoken and forthright when the occasion demanded - didn't they say 'who can listen to this shocking speech?'

bernadette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit