What's your culinary specialty?

by pmouse 81 Replies latest jw friends

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

My speciality is dialing Papa John's or Pizza Hut!! (just kidding)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

...Roast Dub Sandwich`s and cold beer..The good thing about JW`s coming to the door is they always come in 2`s..Invite them in and give them both a good smack in the head with a heavy frying pan..Toss one in the freezer for later(Dubs keep good in the freezer,plus you never know when 2 more will show up again)..Put the other on a rotisserie on the BBQ..If you don`t have a rotisserie,simply wrap the Dub in tin foil and roast for 3hrs in the BBQ..In 3hrs you`ll have the best Dub meat possible for Roast Dub Sandwich`s..You`ll wonder why you never thought of it before.. .........

• mama1119
    mama1119

Fiesty Chicken...you cook chicken for hours in a dutch oven filled with olive oil, balsamic vinegar, tons of garlic, sweet and hot cherry peppers and chardonnay. Served over crusty french bread.

I make delicious tacos

Lasagna...I think I may make the best lasagna I have ever tasted!

I cannot bake worth anything, so I stick to cooking!

Im hungry!!!!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Roast Dub is good in tacos..Be sure to remove the pocket protector with all the pens and pencils in it though..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Aside from smoked and grilled meats... I love making pancakes. I've got a recipe down that will make your eyes roll back into your head in pleasure.

I also obsess over coffee. I can make a cappuccino that rivals anything you could get at a fine coffee shop.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Will all the people on this page who posted what they are good at please post the recipes if you already haven't?!!!!

Thanks,

r.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

That would be hard to do since a large part of my recipes are techniques.... ever see that Spongebob episode where he tried to teach Squidworth how to blow fancy bubbles?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

CREOLE GUMBO

3 to 4 lbs. of fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined, AND you can use crab meat with it for a seafood combo OR 2 lbs. chicken 2 lbs. Andouille sausage or Kielbasa (chopped 1 inch thick) 2 or 3 lbs. chopped okra 2 Bay leaves 1 1/2 tsp. ground Thyme Cayenne (to taste) dash of ground Cloves 4 bunches of green onions (chopped) 2 cups chopped celery 2 cans diced tomatoes with g/chilies (I use Rotel) 2 ladles of vegetable oil (Crisco does it for me) :) 2 ladles of flour OR (you can use 4 TBSPS of Doguet's Roux to substitute for the oil and flour) 4 quarts of water 2 TBSPS of Kitchen Bouquet (if you're not using Doguet's Roux) Salt and pepper to taste File' In large skillet, (if you're using the chicken/sausage combo) brown chicken and sausage pieces in vegetable oil over medium heat, setting aside on paper towels to drain. (When cooled, debone the chicken pieces.) If you're not using Doguet's Roux, add flour to oil in skillet and stir constantly over medium heat until the roux is the color of fudge (just before it burns), otherwise your roux will turn out gray-colored (yuch). If the oil in the skillet is depleted from browning the meat, add a bit of oil to the flour oil mixture to facilitate the stirring and ease of browning your roux. When the roux base is just the right color, pour it into a large stew pot, adding the 2 qts of water, onions, tomatoes, celery, and spices and mixing well.....add okra and seafood or chicken/sausage combo, simmering over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Add some file' for flavor, stirring in to combine and let simmer for another 5 minutes. Remove Bay leaves and serve over rice. For perfect RICE, rinse 2 cups of rice VERY well in a mesh strainer until ALL the milky color is gone from the rinse water. Then add rice to 4 1/2 cups of water , 1 tsp salt, 1 TBSP butter or margarine, in a medium-sized pot, cover with lid and bring to a boil....turn the fire down low and simmer for approx. 25 minutes. Turn the fire off and place a paper towel under the lid of the rice pot and let it stand for another 10 to 15 minutes. The paper towel will absorb the extra moisture and leave your rice without clumps. For FILE' GUMBO, leave out the okra and tomatoes and add plenty of extra File' for thickening and flavor. CATFISH COURT BOUILLON (pronounced "coo-bee-yawhn" and actually you can use any kind of fish you like) Make basic Roux (or use Doguet's Roux) and use all spices (sans File') you used in Gumbo, adding the chopped onions and chopped celery to water and roux mixture, along with 1 to 2 cans of tomato sauce. Add 3 or 4 lbs. of fresh catfish nuggets and simmer for approx. 25 minutes. Serve over rice. I like to serve my Cajun dishes with French bread or rolls that I slather with softened butter or margarine, sprinkle very lightly with garlic powder and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, then toast golden brown in the broiler...YUMMY!

Perfect Rice (if you don't have a rice cooker)

Ingredients:

1 cup rice

2 1/2 cups water

1 1/2 TBSPs. butter or margarine

1/2 tsp. salt

Put all ingredients in small pot and bring to a boil over med to med high heat. Allow to boil on med heat until all the water boils out (approx. 10 to 20 mins.). Turn off the burner and place a paper towel over the pot and place the lid on. Allow pot to sit there for another 15 to 20 mins. Your rice will be tender, fluffy and won't be gummy.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Stuffed BBQ Pork Loin Cornbread for Stuffing 1 cup yellow corn meal 1 cup self-rising flour 1 tsp. baking powder <I use Calumet> 1/2 tsp. salt 1/4 cup sugar <optional> 1/4 cup vegetable oil or shortening <Crisco> 1 egg 1 cup milk Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8 in. sq. baking pan <I like to melt stick of margarine in mine>. Mix all dry ingredients in 2 qt mixing bowl. Add oil and egg, mixing well. Add milk and blend till smooth. Pour into greased baking pan and place in preheated oven for 20 to 25 mins. Slice and serve or use for stuffing. Cornbread Stuffing <If loin is long, double this recipe>

1 recipe fresh corn bread baked and crumbled
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 lb. boiled chicken giblets, diced (reserve broth)
    1/2 tsp. ea. of sage, parsley, basil

Mix ingredients in 2 qt. bowl, adding broth (salted to
    taste) as necessary to make stuffing a sloppy
    consistency (too moist is good)...

Stuffed BBQ Pork Loin

1 soft-frozen (place unfrozen pork loin in freezer for approx. 1 1/2 hrs for soft-freeze) whole pork loin (not one of those skinny ones), cut lengthwise in pinwheel fashion to lay out flat. (I use electric carving knife).

Spread sloppy stuffing mix in thick layer over spread
    out sheet of pork loin. Re-roll loin and secure with
    toothpicks or string. Coat generously with your favorite BBQ
    sauce and BBQ on your grill in your favorite way, basting with additional sauce occasionally.. Slice and serve.
    MMMM-m-m-mmm

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks Frannie! Now how about the rest? I know its a drag to type all that info in but it is really appreciated!

Have you ever used bacon fat for making the roux?

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit