What's your culinary specialty?

by pmouse 81 Replies latest jw friends

• restrangled
    restrangled

Pmouse,.....please find the recipe! I am of sweedish and irish desent but being born and raised in Chicago, learned to love greek food!

Can't get very good stuff here in Orlando.

Anxiously awaiting the recipe!

r.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There seem to be some great recipes here tonight, the one I like best is beef stroganoff which includes sour cream and mushrooms I give the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/beefstroganoffwithma_71568.shtml

• restrangled
    restrangled

The best Carrot cake you will ever bake: loaded with calories but also with vitamans! No Frosting needed. I have probably baked over 50 of these over the years......Just dust with powdered sugar when warm.

2 and 1/2 cups sifted flour, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp. nutmeg

1 cup butter, 1 and 1/2 cups sugar, 4 eggs, 1/1/2 cups finely shredded raw fresh carrots, 1 cup buttermilk, and 1 cup chopped pecans.

Sift together first 6 ingredients. Cream butter, gradualy add suger and cream well. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition. Stir in carrot. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Fold in Pecans. Pour into greased and floured 10 inch tube pan. Bake in a moderate oven (350 F) for 1 hour or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool in pan 15 minutes then tranfer to wire rack to finish cooling.

Sift Confectioner's sugar over top.

Tips: I have found it best in a spring form pan.... It may take longer to bake than suggested, keep watch.

Great breakfast or desert.

r.

• Mary
    Mary

I love shrimp fettucini, but the regular version (made with whipping cream) is just too damn fattening, so I made my own version of it. My family and friends love it and can't believe it's "low fat" and healthy. I generally don't measure quantities.....I just eye-ball them, so this may not be exact:

1 large red onion

6 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped

1 whole shrimp ring, or however much shrimp you want

chicken bouillon cube

spices

whole wheat fettucini or regular fettucini

Boil your fettucini according to the boxed instructions. From my own experience, if you're using whole wheat pasta, it has to cook longer than white pasta. I add a chicken boullion cube when the pasta is cooking. Gives it a nice flavour. Drain and set aside.

Put a bit of oil in a big frying pan and sautee the onion and garlic on medium heat until they start to soften. Add the shrimp and turn to low heat. Add kosher/sea salt, pepper, garlic powder, parsley, oregeno, basil and a few red pepper flakes and stir. Meanwhile boil about 2-2 1/2 cups of water and add a chicken bouillon cube, stiring until it's dissolved. When it's dissolved, add it to the shrimp mixture.

In another measuring cup, measure about 2 tbsps. of cornstarch. Add a bit of milk to it and stir until creamy-----then add about 1/4 cup more milk and stir. Slowly pour the cornstarch/milk mixture into the shrimp mixture and stir. You may not need the entire amount----just enough to thicken it up. If it gets too thick, just add a bit of water.

Put the fettucini on a plate, spoon the shrimp mixture over it, sprinkle a little bit of Romano grated cheese over it and YUM-OOO!!

Even my father----who doesn't like anything 'low fat', loves it.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Almost forgot my ol' standby recipe....heh

Chicken 'n Dumplings 1 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. chicken, but in pieces (or the equivalent in cubed chicken tenders or chicken breasts) enough water to cover the chicken in stewing pot (about 2 qts.), plus 2 cups water 2 Bay leaves 1 tsp. each of basil, thyme, parsley, sage 2 TBSPs. curry powder (NOT the hot kind) 1 regular can of cream of mushroom soup 4 cans of crescent rolls from the diary case where they keep the canned biscuits (slice these in 1 inch wide slices before cooking) salt and pepper to taste In large stewing pot, boil chicken pieces in water over med. heat until done (approx. 1 hr for whole chicken pieces). Set aside chicken pieces to cool and debone. Add remainder of ingredients to stewing pot with remaining broth from cooking the chicken and heat to boiling over med. heat. Add uncooked sliced crescent rolls, one at a time to the slowly boiling broth and place lid on pot. Cook for 10 mins. with lid on, then remove lid and stir occasionally until done. (approx. 10 more minutes.)

• restrangled
    restrangled

Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie!

You can make your own pie crust or purchase Pilsburys...which is what I do and pre bake them.

This recipe is over 70 years old...You have to have a little bit of experience to make this recipe work. I am going to try and give you all that is needed to do it.

Combine 3/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup flour in a sauce pan. Use a wire whip to combine, before heating. Slowly add 3 cups whole milk or Half and Half, stirring the entire time on low heat......

In the meantime whip together 4 large egg yolks and set aside bringing your attention back to the above.

Turn up the heat and stir continuously until the mixture starts to get thick. Once it starts thickening add about 1/3 cup if the above slowly to the beaten egg yolks ...Its called tempering so that the yolks don't cook. Beat as fast as you can and then add the entire mixture into the pan and continue beating.

After the above add 1 T. Vanilla, and ! T. Butter.

The entire mixture in the pan must get thicker than coating the back of a spoon....like a loose pudding. (You cannot stop stirring)

Once thick enough, shut off the heat. Slice 3 nicely ripe bananas into your precooked piecrust and spoon over the above cooked misture. Cover with plastic wrap tightly.

Refrigerate overnight and serve when ready.

In order to have chocolate cream pie, add 6 oz. of semi sweet chocolate into cream mixture and allow to melt before spooning into pie shell.

Both should be served with fresh Whipped Cream.

You will never have in this day and age a pie like this if done right.

They are all done with Geletin, or cornstarch. If you have the patience, these pies are to die for!....I have made probably 50 to 100 in my lifetime for my family.

r

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    I generally don't measure quantities.....I just eye-ball them, so this may not be exact:

LOL! Neither do I, Mary. I had to cook each of the recipes I posted and measure the spices I was putting in them by sprinkling them out on a piece of waxed paper and pouring them into measuring spoons so I could write up those recipes.

I love your Fettucini recipe, Mary! I'll hafta try that.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Make your own Chicken Fingers using the below batter mix.

Add water to mixture to make a batter

Cut up strips of skinless, bonless breast of chicken in to bite size peices.

Get your batter mix into a type of pancake like consistency. A little lighter than usual creates a really nice coating when coming out of the deep fryer.

Let them go for about 8 minutes in a deep fryer. When they begin to float and they're a nice golden brown, they're ready for eating.

The really good part is the special honey and mustard sauce that I make to compliment them.

3 parts mayonaise, to one part honey and half a part of brown mustard.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

You can make your own pie crust or purchase Pilsburys...which is what I do and pre bake them.

R, did you know that Pillsbury's also owns the Pet Ritz pie crust which comes ready to bake in a tin, deep dish and regular crusts? Pet Ritz wins out over even the Pillsbury pie crust in the dairy case with a slam dunk. Pet Ritz is more tender and has more flavor and tastes just like the ones my mom taught me to make. But I'm like you....why go to the trouble to make a crust from scratch when you can buy the real deal, ready to bake?

• Mary
    Mary

Restrangled, that Banana Cream Pie sounds really good.....I'll have to give it a whirl as I hate the packaged fake-banana flavored goo they sell.

Frannie said: I love your Fettucini recipe, Mary! I'll hafta try that.

Lemme know what cha think!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit