What's your culinary specialty?

by pmouse 81 Replies latest jw friends

• pmouse
    pmouse

LynnA - Love it! Spill the goods!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I make a reasonable tuna and vegetable stir-fry from the raw ingredients. Also, crepes to die for!

LT! Let's have that crepes recipe .....the ones I'm supposed to die for!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Frannie:

Crepes

• 4 tablespoons white flour
    • 1 medium egg
    • a pinch of salt
    • half and half water and milk, added to the right consistency

Fried both sides, dripped with lemon juice, sprinkled with sugar, and rolled.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Thanks, LT! Your recipe reminds me of those wonderful German Pancakes they used to serve at the Southern Pancake House in Dallas!

Deelish!!!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Thanks to all, nothing like our backgounds and experiences as cooks to add to our forum here!

I think eventually we should start a thread on tried recipes from JWD.

Once again, thank you good friends!

r.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Here in the south we are addicted to "Sundrop". Here is a cake reciepe using it, or since it's not available in the North, any citrus soda should work! The cake is so moist & sooooo yummy!!

SUNDROP POUND CAKE:

3 Cups Sugar

3 Cups Flour

5 eggs

2 sticks butter or margarine

1/2 cup Crisco

1 tsp. vanilla flavoring

6 oz. Sundrop (or any other yellow citrus soda)

Cream sugar, butter, and crisco. Add flours & eggs and beat until blended. Add vanilla flavoring & Sundrop. Mix well. Bake in teflon tube pan at 325 degrees for 1 hr 15 min. After cooling remove from pan to platter. Add icing after cooled.

SUNDROP ICING:

2 cups powdered sugar

2 oz. Sundrop (or any other yellow citrus soda)

2 Tbsp. butter

Mix all together until well blended, pour over cooled cake.

ENJOY!!!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

R, did you know that Lady Lee has published recipes collected from JWD posters in books? PM her and ask her abou them. One of them is downloadable online.

• LynnA
    LynnA

I know why so many men like tuna casserole. Think about it. It has tuna and mushroom soup... what does that smell like? Hot sex! it's comfort food because it's a familiar smell...

Last night I had no cream soup so I made a cream sauce instead, and the boys called it 'lesbian tuna casserole'. When I don't have noodles, I use boxed mac&cheese.

2 boxes mac&cheese

2 cans tuna, drained

I can cream of chicken or mushroom soup

I 1/2cup milk

1/2cup butter or marg.

2 cups frozen peas

1/2 teaspoon cayeene pepper

Cook mac just to hard al dente, put peas in colander, drain mac over peas to thaw them. (I cook this in an oven-proof pot; one pot to clean.) Add cheese sauce packets, milk, spread, and soup to pot, stir to mix, add mac and peas and tuna, season with cayenne and whatever you like. No salt! This is salt overload from the fish and mac sauce. Top with buttered bread crumbs. Bake 375 degrees F for about 20 minutes. Super simple and older kids can make this for themselves. My kids like crushed potato chips on top.

I've used garlic mushroom soup for this. We like cream of chicken soup better than mushroom. Use plain egg noodles if you don't like cheesy tuna.

Cheap food is my specialty...

any bread bakers here?

• Mary
    Mary
    any bread bakers here?

I am. We used to go to this "English Tea Room" after the meetings on Sunday, and I'd always have their Ploughman's Lunch which came with the most wonderful home made bread I've ever had. I talked the owner into giving me the 100+ year old recipe and I make it in my bread maker at home.

If you take the ingredients for Little Toe's crepes, and then add the following, it makes a really yummy dessert:

1-2 tbsp. of butter melted in the frying pan.

Add about 1/2 cup of brown sugar and stir. Add some dark rum. Light rum will do as well. Add some sliced banana or peaches to the mixture, making sure they're well coated. Once it starts to thicken, turn the heat off. Spoon the banana or peaches onto the crepe and roll up. Then pour the sauce over it and put a dollup of whipped cream on top.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's one for Cinnamon buns that is really simple, quite yummy without being too sweet.

1 package of Pillsbury Cinnamon rolls. Seperate them and put them either on a cookie sheet or in a casserole dish. Brush some pure maple syrup over each one and sprinkle with a few chopped pecans. Bake according to instruction. When they come out of the oven, brush them once more with a bit of maple syrup and serve.

This actually tastes much better than with the icing that comes with it, if you don't like your desserts too sweets. Great for brunches!

• pmouse
    pmouse

LynnA - going to try that tuna casserole. You're right...hubby loves that stuff.

Does anyone have a good recipe for flatbread? When we were out west traveling in Utah, we were served all kinds of good food including flat bread. I had never had it before then. Delicious!!!!! Crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.

Anyone know how to make it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit