What's your culinary specialty?

by pmouse 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Today it is Coctails

4-5 juice of limes

Big bag of shrimp (2 freaking lbs)...tail on oversized because it was on sale. BOOH yeah

2 white onions chopped small very small

about 8 tomatos roma. chopped small. Very small

garlic minced. 2 big whopping spoons

can of tomato sauce

sea salt to taste

a bundle of of cilantro chinese parsley clean and diced.

(I know this sounds gross...but a big squirt or three of ketchup)

jalepenos. about 4 depending on heat. diced small. minced even.

all mixed in bowl stirred quite well till they make a soup of sorts. a very thick and chunky and not at all runy soup.

Then take the insides of about 5 avocados.

Dash of Worchestershire sauce.

Open and cut into cubes inside of the halves. scoop out and carefully fold into the mix so they do not mash up. They need to stay chunked.

Serve with Saltine crackers.

Ok...It is kind of a bad pic, but it should look something like this when done. Yummy!! One of my favorite!

I will let you know if I left off an ingredient whne I am done making it. If so, I will come back and let you know what it was. Oh yeah, some places serve it witha a shot of top shelf Tequila in it. Now that makes it really awsome!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Make your own Chicken Fingers using the below batter mix.

Proph, those are terrific dipped in Lemon Sauce, aka Lemon Chicken! I've never thought of trying that mix before. Will hafta try it!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Wow Frannie, thanks... Ritz will be my next purchase.

My mother still makes her own pie crusts for those cream pies, but for the life of me, for some reason I don;t have the paitence to make them.

If anyone has problems or questions on those cream pies let me know....I have never eaten or ordered in a restaurant that came close to the recipe I sent in.

I would love it if my grandmothers recipe lasted into the next 100 years.

r.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Ritz will be my next purchase.

Here's a tip, R. I always re-flute the edges of the pie crusts before I bake them and no one knows I didn't make them myself.

Also, if you're making a double crust pie, just flip one over on top of the other filled pie crust and flute the edges together before baking.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Someone mentioned quicky dinners they wouldn't serve to guests.....I have one, but actually would not hesitate to serve to guests. (takes about 10 minutes.)

In a large saute pan heat up some olive oil.

You will need the following

1 package flour fajita shells available fresh in your local grocery.

Purchase a large container of sliced mushrooms. 2 Packages of Shredded mexican cheese, 1 package of Taco seasoning, some olive oil, a container of sour cream, a container of good quality salsa, and ripe avacados.

Fry up your mushrooms and add the Taco mix . Make sure it is nicely cooked and place it on 1/2 of the flour fahitas. Add a good portion of the shredded cheese and fold in 1/2. Fry in the olive oil until nicely browned on both sizes.

Place on plate and cut up like pizza slices. with sourcream, Guacamole, and salsa.

This is one of my family's favorites for a quickie dinner.....Also great for a movie night with lots of teenagers.

r.

• pmouse
    pmouse

Pmouse,.....please find the recipe! I am of sweedish and irish desent but being born and raised in Chicago, learned to love greek food!

Finally found it! Remember, this was my mom's -she got it out of a local newspaper in the early 60's and her notes aren't the best. There are some items I'm not totally clear on...but you catch the drift....

Louis Pappas Famous Greek Salad

Make a potato salad from these ingredients:

• 6 boiled potatoes
    • 2 medium onions
    • 1/4 cup chopped celery
    • 1/2 cup sliced green onions
    • 1/2 cup salad dressing*
    • Salt to taste

Salad Ingredients:

• 1 head lettuce
    • 3 cups potato salad (above)
    • 12 Roka leaves
    • Tomatoes cut in wedges
    • Cucumbers cut lengthwise
    • 1 avocado
    • Feta Cheese
    • 1 green bell pepper
    • Cooked beets
    • Cooked shrimp (large jumbo fresh if possible)
    • Anchovies
    • Black Greek Olives
    • Whole green onions
    • 1/2 cup white vinegar
    • 1/4 cup olive oil and salad oil, blended
    • Oregano to taste

Arrange the above ingredients on a large platter and serve with toasted crisp greek garlic bread (Restrangled's sounded good). Potato salad under all of the above.

Louis' Dressing

• 1 cup mayonaise
    • 1/4 cup whipping cream
    • 1/4 cup chilled sauce ?
    • 1 T. lemon juice
    • 1/4 cup green pepper chopped fine
    • 1/4 cup green onion chopped fine

Blend first four ingredients - add vegetables. Mix well. Serve ice cold with any seafood salad, preferable with crab meat then shrimp, etc.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Kôfte (turkish meatballs in sauce):

Meatballs: 500 grams of grinded meat, 3 eggs, smashed garlic, pepper, a spice called garam masale (two spoons), a little salt. Mix it all together, make little meatballs with a spoon and your hands. Fry on medium heat.

Sauce: A can of paprika-purè called "Ajvar". Use less than half the can (if its a big one, cause it has a bitter taste). Two cans of canned tomatoes. One desiliter water. Add sugar while you taste, the sweetness weighs up for the bitterness of the paprika. Stop when it`s just right.

Tastes great with rice and/ or fried potatoes.

Yummmmi

• Twitch
    Twitch

Damn!

Now I'm hungry,.......

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

All this talk of food is making me a little peckish, too!

I make a reasonable tuna and vegetable stir-fry from the raw ingredients. Also, crepes to die for!

• LynnA
    LynnA

This is what my oldest son always wants when we get together. Too too simple, adaptable too. Tater Tot Casserole 2 lb very lean ground beef(if you hacve to use cheap ground meat, brown and drain first) 2 cans of green beans I can mushroom soup 2 cups sharp cheese, shredded I package tater tots Pat the meat into a 9x13 Pyrex dish, season as you like. Drain the veg and scatter over the meat. Spoon soup over all, top with cheese, and arrange tots over the top. Cover with foil and bake about 45 minutes at 375 degrees F. Remove foil, bake another 15 minutes or so. Cool ten minutes before cutting. You can use any veg, canned, frozen, or blanched fresh, and any soup you like. My son sometimes makes it with canned chili, corn, and a can of black beans. Mmmm. Now, tuna casserole... love it or hate it?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit