What's your culinary specialty?

by pmouse 81 Replies latest jw friends

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

beans on toast

take one tin of heinz beans...(hp only if heinz arent available and branston if really pushed)

empty half a tin onto a plate and microwave for 2 minutes stirring after a minute.

take one slice of thick white bread...(brown bread is not acceptable) place in toaster and wait till it pops up...then butter it (margarine shouldnt even be in your fridge)

pour beans onto buttered toast...grate some mature cheddar cheese over (dont even start me on mild cheddar)

add a little salt...and then smother with hp brown sauce (you did notice it must be hp didnt u)

magic every time

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Couldn't find the Fried Eggplant Parmesan recipe, either, but here goes:

Fried Eggplant Parmesan

1 or 2 lg eggplants, sliced 1/2 inch thick (depends on how many are eating)

salt

flour

eggs

grated Parmesan cheese

Garlic Powder

Olive oil

In large roasting pan, place a layer of eggplant slices and sprinkle with salt. Keep placing layers of eggplant slices, sprinkled with salt, until all the slices are in the pan and sprinkled with salt. Allow to sit until you see black juice filling the pan. (The salt draws out the bitter flavor in the eggplant, which is in the juice.) Squeeze stacks (3 or 4 to stack) of the eggplant slices with your hands so the excess juice will be removed from the eggplant, and set the squeezed slices aside.

Beat a couple of eggs (you can always get more and beat 'em if you need to). in a shallow bowl and individually dip the eggplant slices in the egg, then dredge them in flour and lightly brown on both sides in skillet over medium heat, using the olive oil (about 1/2 inch deep).

As the browned eggplant slices are removed from the skillet, place first layer on paper towels and sprinkle immediately with light sprinkle of Garlic Powder and Parmesan Cheese. Sprinkle garlic powder and Parmesan over each succeeding layer, as well.

These can be served hot or eaten cold. Believe me, you'll love 'em even when they're cold.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Stuffed Grape Leaves

One of my alltime favorites. Thanks,r. Delicious!

• restrangled
    restrangled

Greek Bread,....a version of garlic bread but much better.

Bring to room temp 1 package of cream cheese, and yes you an use the lower fat version. Once at room temp in a Mixer or quesinart add one 6oz package of crumbled feta with tomato and basil.

Combine until mixed and creamy.

You will need two loaves of nice french or cuban bread. Split them lenghtwise and sprinkel with olive oil. Sprinkle garlic powder over and then spread with above room temp mixture. Thinly slice some ripe tomatoes over making sure they over lap each other. Then add thinly sliced sweet onion over that. Sprinkle with Basil and Oregano. Cover with shredded Mozzerella and broil until very light brown and bubbly. Slice into nice sized servings.

• pmouse
    pmouse

Restrangled....ever been to Tarpon Springs FL and had the Louis Pappa's Greek Salad? They put potato salad in it...It's unique to the area....I've not been able to locate it any where else but FL.

My mother had the recipe from years ago....I've got to go through her recipe box and see if I can find it.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Hortensia, I LOVE Fideo!!! I love Menudo, too! Thanks for that easy tip. One of my aunts was from Mexico City and she taught us how to make all the gooooood shtuff.

Restrangled, I love Dolmades, too. Athene (Country Girl) is Greek and her Dad owned a Greek Restaurant in Austin until just this past year or two. She sent me the recipe for Tzaziki Sauce so I could feed my pashion for Gyros Sandwiches.

Also, I used to work with a Lebanese woman that was a former restaurant owner. She used to bring us kibbie, dolmas and other assorted Greek and Lebanese treats that were to die for!

BTW, R....that Greek bread sounds scrumptious!!! I'm gonna hafta try that.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

apricot sweet potatoes
    5 pounds sweet potatoes
    1/2 cup or more minced dried apricots combined with 1/4 cup or more bourbon (I like Jim Beam)
    a little orange juice

Bake sweet potatoes in the over or microwave until very tender. Cool and peel. Mash the potatoes with the apricots and bourbon. Add orange juice if necessary to make the mixture creamy. Put in a casserole dish sufficiently large to hold the entire mixture. Refrigeratoe overnight if you want to. Bake at 350 degrees for about half an hour, or until hot all the way through. The original recipe also had a lot of butter, but I found out you can completely omit the butter and it is still creamy and good.

thanks for all the other recipes too - I'll be saving them and trying them all, except maybe for beans and toast which was served to me once as a special treat by an English friend who went on for quite a while about the right beans to use and the right bread. Was she pulling my leg?

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Have you ever used bacon fat for making the roux?

LOL! Yes, R, I have used bacon drippings. I also use the drippings from browning the sausage and chicken. The bacon drippings sure do add flavor.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Sweet Treat time!

Graham Cracker Cookie Bars Ingredients: Box of Graham crackers crushed (3 wax-wrapped pkgs. to a box) 2 cans Eagle Brand or any sweetened condensed milk 14 to 16 ozs. chocolate chips 2 cups chopped walnuts Butter-flavored baking spray Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray baking spray to cover inside of large rectangular baking pan (approx. 8" X 12"). Mix all ingredients in large mixing bowl until well blended. Mixture will be very thick. Spread mixture in baking pan and place in preheated oven for 45 mins. to 1 hr or until golden brown and the side is coming away from the sides of the pan. Allow to cool until cookie bars are still nice and warm (approx. 30 to 45 mins.). Cut into bars and serve warm. The number of bars depends on how large or small you cut them.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Fudgy P-Nutty Banana Cream Pie (if you need to know how to substitute any of the ingredients, let me know)

Crust 1 box Jiffy Brownie Mix 1 egg 8 Tbsps. water 3/4 cup crunchy peanut butter 1 large banana, peeled and sliced Mix ingredients (except banana slices) well and bake in buttered pie pan at 350 for 25 mins. or till toothpick stuck in center comes out clean. Cool.....scoop out center, leaving 1/2 inch brownie "crust"...place scooped-out brownie "crumbles" in a small bowl and set aside....line brownie "crust" with banana slices. Filling 1 sm. box instant banana cream pudding/pie filling mix 1 large banana, peeled and smushed 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter 1 cup milk brownie "crumbles" Mix ingredients well (except brownie "crumbles") and fill brownie "crust", spreading evenly to inside edge of crust....top with brownie "crumbles".... Topping 1 cup heavy whipping cream 1 TBSP sugar 1/2 tsp. vanilla 1 small banana, sliced handful of shelled peanuts chocolate syrup Beat cream until it forms soft peaks, and spread over top of "pie." Sprinkle with banana slices, peanuts and drizzle lightly with chocolate syrup.
    hmmm.....you might want to double this recipe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit