What's your culinary specialty?

by pmouse 81 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

pmouse, this link is to a site that has all kinds of flatbread recipes, including pita, cibbatta (sp?) and focaccia:

http://www.thatsmyhome.com/bakery/flat/index.htm

• averyniceguy
    averyniceguy

I do not cook! Can someone cook for me?

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

My specialty: Grilled chicken and Eggplant Parmesan, Roast Chicken with vegetables, steamed mussels, and Beef Stew.

• LynnA
    LynnA

Biscuits and gravy, hillbilly style...mmm. Must be good cause I overheard my brother telling a pal that my biscuits are almost as good cold the next day as they are hot from the oven. Learned to make them by watching my mom when I was a tadpole.

• Pubsinger
    Pubsinger

KFC

• zagor
    zagor

Margherita Pizza

The most popular pizza in Italy, it's named after Queen Margherita. Serves 4.
    Ingredients
    450g/1 lb canned tomatoes without juice if canned
    1 medium pizza dough (see below)
    350g/1 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
    10 fresh basil leaves, torn into pieces
    salt and freshly ground pepper
    2 vine-ripend tomatoes, chopped
    3 tbsp olive oil

Preparation
    1. Pre-heat oven to 250C/475F.
    2. Roll out the dough and place on a pizza tray.
    3. Place the dough only in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the dough is slightly brown.
    4. Remove the pizza dough from the oven and flip the dough over.
    5. Chop then mash the tomatoes with a potato masher.
    6. Spread the tomatoes on the pizza dough.
    7. Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly over the tomatoes.
    8. Dot with the basil.
    9. Sprinkle with salt and the pepper.
    10. Drizzle with the olive oil.
    11. Place the pizza in the hot oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is bubbling.

Topping Variations Add slices of salami or ham, pieces of artichoke, anchovies, olives or sliced button mushrooms.
    Basic Pizza Dough - for 2 medium pizzas
    Ingredients

15g/1 1/2 tbsp of active dried yeast
    250ml/1 cup lukewarm water
    pinch of salt
    1 tsp slait
    400g/3 1/2 cups of plain flour
    Preparation
    1. Put yeast in a medium mixing bowl and add the warm water. Stir in sugar, mix with a fork, leave until the yeast has dissolved and starts foaming. (5-10 minutes)
    2. Mix in salt and one third of the flour with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a mass and pull away from the sides of the bowl.
    3. On a lighlty floured surface knead the dough gradually working in the remaining flour. Knead for 10 minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic. Roll dough into a ball.
    4. Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover bowl with a tea towel, leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.
    5. Punch dough down with your fist and knead for 1-2 minutes.
    6. The dough is ready to be used.

The dough can be frozen to be used at a later time. Also try a bread machine using the dough making setting. The recipe comes with the machine. This works just as well and requires much less effort.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Faccia di Vecchia (Italian for "old woman's face" - a deep dish pizza)

Ingredients:

prepared pizza dough for pan pizza (you can also use parker house rolls from the freezer section of your grocer's)

9" X 13" greased baking pan

2 to 3 cups Wild Sicilian All-Purpose Spaghetti Sauce

grated Pecorino Romano Cheese

grated Mozzarella Cheese

Italian bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place dough in greased baking pan and spread it to the edges evenly. Pour 2 cups of sauce over the dough (use the other cup if you need it) and using your fingers punch holes into the dough. This will allow the ingredients in the sauce to be laced throughout the pizza crust. Sprinkle with cheeses and dust top with Italian bread crumbs. Bake at 375 degrees for approx. 40 mins. or until crust is browned and top is golden and bubbly all over.

This is usually baked in round pans, and is named for what it resembles when it's done. :)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

wow - what a lot of posts. I was offline a bit, stuff going on, but I caught up this morning on this thread. So many wonderful recipes! Frannie, do you remember a recipe for carrot cake that was in an Awake magazine many many years ago? It was actually quite good. Mary - your fettucine recipe sounds wonderful, as I am on a low fat diet, I think I will try it. Sparkplug - when I started reading your post, I thought you meant the other kind of cocktail - like a bloody Mary. I make a good bloody Mary with the Trader Joe version of V8 juice, plus lots of fresh lemon juice, worcestershire, a little grated onion, celery sticks (must have the celery), and vodka. I think that's all - I'll have to look up the recipe. Oh yes - black pepper.

Restrangled - I never thought of using mushrooms instead of meat with the taco seasoning, I will definitely do that asap. And I love Margherita pizza, in fact any pizza, and fortunately it is possible to find low fat pizza.

Chicken with dumplings is one of my specialties too. I make it with chicken parts simmered in chicken broth until tender. Then I take out the chicken parts, let cool a bit, and strip the meat off the bones and put the meat back in the broth with whatever vegetables I have in the frig, esp. celery, onion and carrot. Then I use biscuit mix to make the dumplings and cook with the lid on for ten minutes and then off for ten minutes. Used to used Fisher biscuit mix but can't find it any more, so I use the old standby.

I love all foods Mexican, of course, since I was brought up on the border. I have my very own tortilla press and I can buy fresh masa in town and there is nothing better than fresh corn tortillas for dinner. Takes about ten to fifteen minutes to make a dozen tortillas.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

WOW, Hortensia!!! Do you have a mulcajete, too? I've got a big one that a friend of mine brought back from Mexico.

• pmouse
    pmouse

I'm 'resurrecting' this old thread (no pun intended re: witlesses); but I am asking any of you southern belles and gentlemen out there if any of you has a good southern "green" or vegetable dish to go with a baked spiral ham.

My parents and grandmother are on their way up today from Florida and I have decided to have ham, potato salad, baked beans and Frannie Bannanie's yummy sounding P-Nutty Banana Cream Pie posted on this thread. My stepmother and her mother are as close to my real mom and grandmother as you can bet and I would like to honor their southern heritage by not screwing up anything.

My dilemma is the "green" side dish. I really don't want to do the old standby Green Bean Casserole, so I was thinking possibly a spinach souffle...turnip greens? Any ideas?

Thanks ladies/guys!

Paula

PS.... This is not excluding the Yankees out there! Your ideas are more than welcomed and hoped for as well!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit