Specific banned shows, songs, etc...?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Don't forget the cartoon "Smurfs"!

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Just thought of another one I forgot to mention in the original post; as a teen I was told AC/DC could not be listened to. The reason? (Other than being rock, which was banned anyway) Because, it was explained to me, "Back in the early days of electricity, there was no standardization...many appliances were either run on AC or DC, and useless if you had the wrong type in your town. So some began being made that could take either one, and were said to 'work both ways'. Bisexuals 'go both ways', so the band must be all a bunch of queers."

• StillGroggy
    StillGroggy

AllAlongTheWatchtower, Are you freaking serious???

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I heard of guys getting the boot at Bethel for having in their posession music by ZZtop, INXS(for the song Devil Inside), and the list goes on and on.

We could do this for days,

Nvr

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A CO told the elder body that Bethel had decided to ban Tae Bo videos because of the
    "Ying and Yang" symbol in the background. He said it was a personal decision for individuals.

(He really meant, if you want to be an elder, get rid of it or hide it from others.)

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Ah,yes Buddy! Reminiscing about the pioneers. Many, not all of course, proved that mental stability was not a prerequisite for the job.

In keeping with this thread, remember some pioneers liked to "rock out" in service, listening to the radio, while others strictly banned any music other than the Kingdom Melodies? What a blast.

What a way to spend the best years of your life,

Nvr

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Bewitched...back in the 70's.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad!!!!!!!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

THE # 1 BANNED MOVIE-

THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST

• Faded-out
    Faded-out

Anything by John Denver. I guess he hated witnesses.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

My mother and father would change the channel if Roy Orbison would come on tv, since we werent allowed to listen to the radio, only to my parents oldies vinyl records.

I think they went to a roy Orbison concert, and if memory serves me correctly, (according to my parents story), he made an accouncement that all JW's were to leave. I doubt this was true, but this was the reason that they refused to watch him or listen to his music.

Twisted Sister - I remember that was considered very heavy metal and very bad.

(I'm a child of the 80's)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit