Specific banned shows, songs, etc...?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

Okay I have read the entire thread so far and I'm thinking why do I not know of ANY of these so called "bans?"

Star Trek, watched it with my father who was an elder. Smurfs, sorry to say I watched them as now I see them as quite possible the LAMEST cartoon ever made. Bewitched, saw BOTH Darrens! I know of some who chose not to watch "Scooby Doo Where Are You?" That's their choice but I still watch Scooby Doo.

As for movies we went to all of the Star Wars, all the Indiana Jones, all the Star Trek.

Music, I first heard the claim that Kiss stood for Kids In Satan's Service from a born again neighbor who said he got it from his minister. I know of no ban on Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Eagles, Beatles or any other act.

Seems to me that you let others' opinions sway your thinking, ("If Brother X said it, it must be true.")

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    The only thing that was specifically banned was Halo: Combat Evolved, from the PO.

Not too long ago, Bethelites were dismissed for playing Halo.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

G. Losch of the GB thinks that Witnesses should not watch American football. Don't know his position on soccer.

• exwitless
    exwitless

In our former congregation, there was an ultra-pure elder, married with three small kids. He said he would NEVER let his children watch Barney, because Barney practices magic (i.e. practices divination of evil spirits).

• patient
    patient

What a great read - these are so funny - and I do remember some of them - also lost some Vinyl in the days following conventions!!!

Beep,Beep - do not know which cong you were in but I am jealous - lived in SouthAfrica and UK growing up - remember many bans on fun entertainment - now live in the USA and there too, many bans - in fact remember some elders just before I exited sharing how they sacrificed willingly their Eagles albums as they were demonistic - they were counseling me that I worked too much (also demon inspired) and should give things up for Jehovah!!! Hell I thought I can work less but you are not having my Eagles CDs!!!!

Also remember "oficially" from the DC platform that AC/DC was "anti christ/devils child" - where did they dream up this BS? wonder what they think BS means!!!

Patient (ly) laughing all the way through this thread!!

• lighthouse19something
    lighthouse19something

The Fightin' Side of Me- M Haggard

Couldn't watch westerns(parents)

Vampire movies- eating blood and use of crosses, but watched Wizard of Oz at CO's house

My father destroyed "Behind Closed Doors' 'cause my mother played it so much

• choosing life
    choosing life

LisaVegas420

A Horse With No Name was about heroin addiction. May be why they frowned upon it.

When I joined the jws, they convinced me to throw away much of my album collection. I had a huge selection and how I wish I still had them. Each one was related to a period in my life that I prefer to remember with fondness. I have replaced many with CDs, but I still have a fondness for the old album covers.

• undercover
    undercover

Okay I have read the entire thread so far and I'm thinking why do I not know of ANY of these so called "bans?"

Outside of Bethel there weren't any real "bans" on music/movies/books/etc. It was all insinuated. Constant talks and parts about the evils of worldly entertainment gave the impression of certain things being banned, even if it was not officially banned. In some more conservative areas, some elders took it upon themselves to actually list things that they thought should not be listened to, watched or read.

That's what happened in my area. A list of "questionable" music artists was distributed at a circuit assembly. It may have been an over zealous dub who got it started but it coincided with a talk on the evils of worldly music and many took the list as official.

That's also why in one congregation, Star Wars was considered evil, but the congergation across town was enjoying it without sanction...all because one person, or a small group of people, determinded for the group what was acceptable or not.

Seems to me that you let others' opinions sway your thinking, ("If Brother X said it, it must be true.")

Of course. That's the life of a JW...to let others do the thinking for you. If Brother X, who is giving an assembly part, said it, it must have come from the Governing Body and we all knew that the Governing Body had Jehovah's spirit. Were we going to grieve the Holy Spirit by disobeying?

• dark angle
    dark angle

here in our place almost all witnesses forbid us to watch THE DAVINCI CODE. but one elder had a novel and he gladly lent it to me. moreover, i also bought the dvd movie for myself.hehhehehe. i also love to play COUNTER STRIKE. THEY MISS HALF OF THEIR LIFE NOT ABLE TO PLAY IT!!

• jinjam
    jinjam

tori amos, my mother read the back of the cd, one of the songs called, "she's your cocaine", she threw it away without ever telling me!lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit