Specific banned shows, songs, etc...?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

I know the society tells people not to listen to rock n roll cause its from Teh Satan, not to watch R rated movies because they're "worldly", etc. But I was wondering if folks had any specific instances where one song, one show, one movie, or whatever was singled out as being particularly 'evil', and banned on an individual basis? I was never a JW, but was in the Worldwide Church of God...the two are rather similar, I've seen many (and made quite a few myself) comparisons on the board; and I can remember as a child that every once in a while certain things would get brought up as being more evil and worldly than others.

Examples of specific bans:

'I Did it My Way' - Frank Sinatra: Specifically mentioned in sermons and articles several times, saying that things should be done GOD'S way, not MY way, this is what's wrong with the world...etc etc.

'Its Hard to be Humble' - Mac Davis: Specifically mentioned because the lyrics go "oh lord its hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way" -no mere man is perfect; obviously the song promotes a lack of humility.

'Papa Don't Preach' - Madonna: Often talked about as an example of today's youth in "satan's world", was usually mentioned in any sermon having to do with children being obedient, the evils of teen pregnancy and premarital sex, etc.

'Star Wars' Vilified on many occasions as being an allegory of good vs evil/god vs devil, and therefore bordering on sacrilege, it was often claimed that 'the force' was a reference to the holy spirit.

I'm sure if I thought on it, I could come up with some more of these, but you get the idea...anything like this in dubland?

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I remember it being said that we should not be watching X Files at one circuit assembly. There was also the vilification of Judas Priest.

• jeanV
    jeanV

one WT once made clear reference to Basic Instinct (without naming the title of the movie).

When I was a teen I remember seeing all sorts of lists of "banned" music circulated among the brothers. Not to talk about LP that played on reverse mode would contain satanic messages, like stairway to heaven of Led Zeppelin, Hotel California, and many more.

Nowdays, Harry Potter and Pokemon were specifically mentioned by the CO as not for JW's.

• DJK
    DJK

If loving you was wrong, I dont want to be right.

That song was banned, it's about a married man in love with another woman. I like the Rod Stewart version.

• DJK
    DJK

Dark Shadows. Very evil to JWs.

• penny2
    penny2

I remember a CO saying anyone who went to a U2 concert was not "in the truth."

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

The sister that studied with me mentioned the song "a horse with no name" she said it was evil and mentioned during a talk. I didn't hear it and never did figure out what was wrong with it.

I had bought Rod Stewarts album "blondes have more fun" (featuring the hit "do ya think i'm sexy") it was distroyed.

lisa

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

don't know about specific bans on movies etc. Didn't need them though. Parents did a fine job of banning almost everything. They wouldn't even let us see aristocats cuz there was a kissing scene between two cats in the anime. We were forced to walk out of the movie Terms of endearment cuz there was one swear word.Hell my mom would rip the cover off the TV guide if there was too much clevage showing.Never got away with anything, ever.I wasn't really even aware, what metal was, in the 80"s, and missed all kinds of music. My dad doesn't listen to any rock, only classical.

• DJK
    DJK

My father was an elder when I bought the album, Journey to the center of the mind, by the Amboy Dukes. Every song on it was about or entitled by the name of a drug. Worse than Strawberry Fields. He went ballistic and destroyed it.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

LOL! Penny2:

I remember a CO saying anyone who went to a U2 concert was not "in the truth."

I guess that's where my downfall began, back in junior high school.

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit