Specific banned shows, songs, etc...?

by AllAlongTheWatchtower 79 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• westvic
    westvic

The Elders at my wedding reception VERY quickly informed the DJ to turn off Chubby Checker's "The Twist"----I guess they claimed it had roots in an ancient African pagan fertility dance.

I wasn't raised a witness. All I could do was laugh and think "uhh--maybe the song is a simple song about 'twisting' your body. LOL

• unique1
    unique1
    I think they went to a roy Orbison concert, and if memory serves me correctly, (according to my parents story), he made an accouncement that all JW's were to leave.

I heard the same thing about John Denver.

Of course Marylin Manson was banned. My dad used to tell me that Poison poisoned my mind and that Def Leppard would make me deaf. Those tapes mysteriously disappeared. I will never forget pulling up to a trailer and the car had tons of Manson and NIN stickers and everyone in the car was terrified to go to the door. I a 17 year old girl at the time ( who secretly loved NIN) told them they were all crazy and went and knocked on the door. A bunch of kids my age answered and invited me in, offered me a hit of their bong (which I refused) and listened to what I had to say. I actually think they got a real kick out of a crazy religous chick being there. The car group was so excited to see me emerge from the house, cause apparently they were scared I was being tortured in there or something. Losers.

I would assume that the show Medium would be frowned upon as well as Charmed or anything dealing with the supernatural.

• KW13
    KW13

A few i remember...

Oasis - NO listening to Oasis as they were bad influence

Eminem/50 Cent other Rappers - Because of what they say in their music and 'how they live' doesn't glorify God.

Harry Potter Films/books - One day i came home from school one day to stepdad reading my book. He rambled on about the things in the book are what Jehovah despises, mum told me she believed that the author used Spirits to inspire her e.t.c

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

"Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" with Robin Leach because it promoted materialism.

"The Simpsons" and "Married With Children" because the kids were disrespectful to their parents.

I heard about AC/DC... didja' know Rush stands for "Rise Under Satan's Hand?"

~Sue

• merfi
    merfi

I remember Madonna being specifically mentioned from the podium. And maybe Britney Spears. The movie "Ghost" was mentioned in a #3 talk I think...

I remember my very.first.talk -- it was on astrology and I had my householder open it up by reading my horoscope. lmao oooopsies. I never got counseled on it as I was pretty newbie, but I think it's kinda funny now...

~merfi

• DJK
    DJK

Louie, Louie, because of a phrase in the song. I haven't heard that in so long I can't remember the words.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

MMmmmm, good times - I remember a DO named Yasko pontificating on ET from the platform. He was such an arrogant little SOB. I couldn't stand him even then.

• jeanV
    jeanV
    I think they went to a roy Orbison concert, and if memory serves me correctly, (according to my parents story), he made an accouncement that all JW's were to leave.

we should open a thread about urban legends of JW's as I heard exactly the same story about Zucchero that asked that all JW's had to leave the concert (otherwise the demons would not help him...).

AC / DC in my days was supposed to mean Anti Christ / Death to Christ....

• jinjam
    jinjam

i remember very well at one circut assembly,

meatloaf- i would do anything for love...

reason being according to the lyrics " prayed to the gods of sex and drums and rock and roll" ( not sure if its right), Any way refering to the worship of idols or false gods! (rolling of eyeballs)

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

My girlfriend from high school had an elder dad who thought Rocky was too violent, so she spent the night at my house so we could sneak to the movies LOL

Basically the JWs would say something about pretty much any singer because all of them were WORLDLY. Beatles did drugs, Elton John was gay, many were said to have Satanic influences.

My JW sister, after seeing a bunch of Buffy the Vampire Slayer videos in my daughters' room and a few very innocent Rock band posters, decided that it could be contributing to whatever issues I had going on at the time with my kids. LOL I just tried to stifle a laugh and later laughed about it with my oldest daughter who was 18 at the time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit