How's your recovery from the WTS coming along?

by Frannie Banannie 68 Replies latest jw friends

• Gill
    Gill

That's an interesting post Fullofdoubtnow!

I think it is easier for someone to leave 'all that behind' when they were NOT born into the madness.

However, I was brought up a freaky JW. I have to admit to still being quite disfunctional in many ways and things are only slowly improving.

After four going on five years I still see a counsellor! I think we have both learnt from eachother but she is adamant that my 'problem' is brainwashing and one of the good things I think I have achieved in continuing seeing her is educating the mental health people in my area to what extent the Watchtower is a brainwashing/mind control cult. My counsellor even went to visit KH's in the area and reported that they looked like prisons!

To be honest, I am finally breaking free. But I may have had to 'chew my leg off' to be free. Therefore, I shall always walk with 'a limp'!

The price of freedom is very high and it hurts badly, but is worth every moment of pain and effort!!!

• parakeet
    parakeet

Hi, Frannie. Having freed myself from the WTS/JWs more than 25 years ago, my personal recovery is as complete as it's ever going to be. I started visiting this site a year ago to get up-to-date info on the WT in case my JW parents started another "you've-just-GOT-to-come-back" campaign.

What I found out about the WTS/JWs far exceeded even my pretty scathing opinion of them over the years. Pedophilia, murder-by-blood-policy (I knew it happened, but not the extent of it), the theft of minds and lives, and the cruelty -- I was astounded and still am. The information triggered a latent anger about my own experience, and this forum allowed me to get it out of my system.

I understand now that the shabby treatment I received from the elders and JWs pales in comparison to the truly vicious treatment others received, some of whom may suffer the rest of their lives from it.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi Gill,

I wasn't brought up as a jw, I entered the wts at the age of 21. I can see how hard it would be for those brought up with it to escape, for most of your life you knew nothing else.

Trev had been out almost 6 years when I started to visit him discreetly, and knew just what to do and say, what information to show me, what websites to click on, to help me to escape. He always prepared very well for his assignments as a jw, and thankfully, he prepares just as well now. He got me to sign up here when he knew I was on the verge of leaving, and knowing that there was somewhere else to go, with like-minded people, was the final push I needed to leave the wts behind. Then he got to work on freeing me from wts influence, and he's done a great job there as well. I know I'm luckier than most to have had someone like that to help, as well as having had a life before the jws.

Trev used to quote a couple of things to me when I was first exiting. In fact he has the quotes framed and hung on his wall. One is by Antoine de St. Exuplery, and says "I know but one freedom, and that is freedom of the mind". He used to say to me that when I had that freedom, I would be truly free of the wts. I feel that am very close to having it now.

The other quote is from T.S. Eliot, his favourite poet: "Liberty is a differrent kind of pain from prison" He used that to show me that leaving the wts may be a painful process, but ultimately worthwhile.

Those quotes meant a lot to me when I was first leaving the wts, and still do, so I thought I'd share them.

Linda

• ninja
    ninja

mines is getting rawer by the day...(today I was in the perfect storm)but I know things will work themselves out

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

My recovery is getting there, but not as quickly as I'd like. I no longer have any contact with any JWs - I've been separated from my spouse for over 3 years now, and my mom, who never shunned me, passed away recently. I still find myself transferring my anger toward people who are not JWs, but sometimes exhibit behaviour similar to the JWs. I have no tolerance for anyone who in any way tries to interfere in, police, inquire about, or in any way invade my personal business or personal space. The closer people try to get to me the more I push them away. I was virtually friendless during my 20 years as a JW, and it seems that solitude is what I've become comfortable with.

((((W))))) I'm so sorry about your Mom, sweetie. And I've felt and done a lot of the same as you have. I think it keeps me pretty much isolated from people now, but then, that's not all bad. Gives me time to think and do things that I like and want to do.

What I found out about the WTS/JWs far exceeded even my pretty scathing opinion of them over the years. Pedophilia, murder-by-blood-policy (I knew it happened, but not the extent of it), the theft of minds and lives, and the cruelty -- I was astounded and still am. The information triggered a latent anger about my own experience, and this forum allowed me to get it out of my system.

I understand now that the shabby treatment I received from the elders and JWs pales in comparison to the truly vicious treatment others received, some of whom may suffer the rest of their lives from it.

Amen to ALL of the above, (((Parakeet))).

Trev had been out almost 6 years when I started to visit him discreetly, and knew just what to do and say, what information to show me, what websites to click on, to help me to escape. He always prepared very well for his assignments as a jw, and thankfully, he prepares just as well now. He got me to sign up here when he knew I was on the verge of leaving, and knowing that there was somewhere else to go, with like-minded people, was the final push I needed to leave the wts behind. Then he got to work on freeing me from wts influence, and he's done a great job there as well. I know I'm luckier than most to have had someone like that to help, as well as having had a life before the jws.

(((((Fullofdoubtnow))))) You are so fortunate to have someone like Trev to help you, as you say. I, too, wasn't raised as a JW, but joined when I was 28. They caught me at a vulnerable time. If I try really hard, I can imagine the difficulties that those who were raised as JWs go through in their exodus from the WTS. And everytime I read one of their JW bios, I marvel at their strength of character and profound determination in undergoing the exit process, whatever it may personally entail for them individually.

one of the good things I think I have achieved in continuing seeing her is educating the mental health people in my area to what extent the Watchtower is a brainwashing/mind control cult.

(((Gill))) Thank you for that. You're SO right about that, too. Most of the mental health people ARE unaware of the hidden agendas of the WTS practices and teachings. My psychiatrist told me she was totally unaware that the WTS is a religious cult. She had her eyes opened when I gave her my experiences with them to read.

mines is getting rawer by the day...(today I was in the perfect storm)but I know things will work themselves out

(((((ninja))))) I'm so sorry. How long have you been out? You're right. It will work itself out, but it does take time.

Frannie

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Frannie:

I'm a fader because of circumstances. Even though I am not officially "out" I consider myself to be "over" it all. There is residual anger here and there, especially when I hear about certain topics. The only time I think I will get angry is if somebody tries to get in my business and inquire, etc. Then I will have to be "unavailable" or else I will seriously tell somebody off. I think it is healthy that people move on. But, I don't want to be judgmental about those that can't yet.

Abandoned:

You have a very healthy attitude. You are right about not letting anybody piss on you. They expected to piss on you and tell you it was raining and you were supposed to believe them.

LHG

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

thought I was doing quite well. Everything went alright.

Until recently, that is. Guess it just starting....

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I'm a fader because of circumstances. Even though I am not officially "out" I consider myself to be "over" it all. There is residual anger here and there, especially when I hear about certain topics. The only time I think I will get angry is if somebody tries to get in my business and inquire, etc. Then I will have to be "unavailable" or else I will seriously tell somebody off. I think it is healthy that people move on. But, I don't want to be judgmental about those that can't yet.

((((LongHairGal)))), there are many posters here, some still in but fading, some still in and unable to fade, and many of us are out. I don't think anyone here is judgmental when it comes to those who're still in the WTS because we understand the need for family contact, which could be seriously disrupted if those looking for a way out were discovered. Eventually time heals. Those of us who've healed understand that. And there is no specific time limit on healing. We understand that, too. I'm so glad you've been able to successfully fade. It isn't always possible. And all your feelings and reactions are normal, under the circumstances, chere.

Frannie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

thought I was doing quite well. Everything went alright.

Until recently, that is. Guess it just starting....

I'm so sorry, ((((Danny)))). I checked your current posts and topics and didn't see anything posted that's going on with you. Maybe you could start a thread on what's happening with you and someone can help or at least send along some encouragement, eh?

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit