How's your recovery from the WTS coming along?

by Frannie Banannie 68 Replies latest jw friends

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Hi Frannie,

I'm pretty much recovered nowadays. When I walked away in 1999, after 8 wasted years in the org, I didn't believe it then, having read Crisis of Conscience and done some other research a few months earlier. I lost all the dubspeak after about 6 months, and haven't referred to it as the "truth" since I left. I usually caal it the lie now, an apt description I think, as that is what it is.

One thing I haven't, and never will, let go of is an absolute hatred of the org and its teachings. I oppose them in every way I can nowadays, not for myself so much but for those who are still trapped in the watchtower. I make it my aim as far as the wtbts is concerned to help those who are having doubts to leave, and I have had a bit of success so far. I helped Linda leave, of course, and a couple of others have either da'd or become inactive with my willing help and encouragement since. The jws know what I'm up to as well, especially since I added a page to my website offerring help to those thinking of leaving the wtbts, and I'm glad they know, as there is nothing they can do about it.

I don't know if the watchtower will fall in my lifetime, I am 56 in a couple of weeks, but I hope to see the foundations crumble a lot more, as well as doing as much as possible to help that happen.

dedpoet

• becca1
    becca1

FB: thank you for this thread and your kind words

Gill: I can relate to a lot of what you experienced. Hang in there.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Sorry Frannie - it seems that though this is slightly off thread, the fall of the WTBTS is very much tied up with people's vindication at leaving, and recovery from the WT experience.

No problem, Gill. As you say the two subjects are tied together.

Frannie

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I don't know if the watchtower will fall in my lifetime, I am 56 in a couple of weeks, but I hope to see the foundations crumble a lot more, as well as doing as much as possible to help that happen.

Dedpoet, I don't think there's anyone posting to this board (except the occasional troll) who doesn't empathize with your sentiments about the WTS. And as for your hope of seeing the WTS fall to the ground, I share it with you. I live to see that day.

FB: thank you for this thread and your kind words

((((Becca)))), you deserve them right along with everyone who's suffered at the WTS hands. I figure this thread would give anyone who ventured to post a reply the opportunity to examine their progress. It always helps in the healing process to give our personal thoughts and feelings up to the light and air them.

Frannie

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Well, I had already sent this to Gill as a PM, but if Frannie (thread starter) Banannie says it's okay, it's okay.

Gill,

The findings in the California rulings only apply to California, at present. However, the findings were based on an interpretation of the law as it currenly reads in about half the states in the Union.

In short, the finding was that if the penitent has no expectation of confidentiality there is no privilege coverage for the communication. Since JW penitents know it may be communicated to others beyond those to whom they directly reveal these things all communication between penitent and elder, between elders regarding penitent, and between elders and the Society regarding penitent is open to the rules of discovery.

The only way for the WTBTS to close this discovery hole is to say that the elders cannot discuss the penitent or the penitent's situation with anyone else, including the Society. They know this is a potential powder keg for them, especially in states where the laws on admissable recordings extend to situation where at least one party to the conversation knows the recording is occurring. Most of the states with these admissable recording laws also have "black letter" laws (or something similar) governing what qualifies as privileged communication. This means a rogue elder (or plurals of them) who wanted to take down the Society could do so simply by recording elders meetings and phone conversations in states where such evidence is admissable. The current authority structure would either isolate and atrophy to the point of ineffectiveness or maintain status quo and expose the religion/congregations/Society to lawsuit. In either case, the hold over the lower echelon would be greatly reduced.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Gill
    Gill

Thanks AuldSoul!

If the Society's hold over the 'lower echelons' goes then the Society will fall.

There is a saying in the firm where my husband works, that a Manager is only as good as the men under him make him.

In the ten years he has been at the firm he has seen managers come and go and why, because the men under them can make them look good, in which case the manager leaves only when he wants to change jobs, or they can choose to make them look bad and get rid of them.

It is no different in any other organization, company, firm or even religion.

The WT has feet of clay......its followers who are waking up are playing a clever game. There may be only a few at the moment, but more will follow, thanks to sites such as this one.

Barbara Anderson has proved that the WT can be exposed for what it is if a person can keep their cool, collect their information carefully and bide their time to strike.

• Gill
    Gill

((((( becca )))))

I'm hanging in there! I'd just so like my 'pound of flesh' from the WTBTS. Like Frannie, I don't plan to take my last breath till they crumble to nothing and I shall die with a smile on my face!!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

My recovery is getting there, but not as quickly as I'd like. I no longer have any contact with any JWs - I've been separated from my spouse for over 3 years now, and my mom, who never shunned me, passed away recently. I still find myself transferring my anger toward people who are not JWs, but sometimes exhibit behaviour similar to the JWs. I have no tolerance for anyone who in any way tries to interfere in, police, inquire about, or in any way invade my personal business or personal space. The closer people try to get to me the more I push them away. I was virtually friendless during my 20 years as a JW, and it seems that solitude is what I've become comfortable with.

W

• Gill
    Gill

FF - I know what you mean about being intolerant of policing. However, I take it that Rocco is your best friend at the moment!

I too find any busy bodying by anyone at all too much to tolerate and they may end up with a proper 'ear bashing' from me if they attempt to criticise in anyway. However!!! My parrots are allowed to say whatever they want!

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

In the 15 months since I da'd, I guess I have recovered pretty well. I have Trev to thank for that, and of course this forum.

I still have the odd flashback to jw days, but very rarely nowadays. I am so much happier away from the wts that even though I was a jw for almost 25 years, it seems a distant memory now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit