The Artist formally known as Prince

by Sasha 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sasha
    Sasha

Did any of you Floridians see the article in the Palm Beach Post.? It seems they were giving a party for Prince the other night (He's performing at the super bowl in Miami toinght) and he would not show up because there were designs of Dragons on the walls. The article went on to say that Prince is a "devoted Jehovah's Witness" and therefore believes that you can't look upon dragons because it is a symbol of the devil...Now, my question is: Have ANY of you current, or former witnesses ever heard of that? I studied with and without witnesses fo 40 years in November, and have NEVER heard of that superstition. What ya' all think of that?

• dh
    dh

I've never heard of that.

• blondie
    blondie

It is one of those unwritten rules that JWs develop. I'm sure that some overly scrupulous JW used it as a way to get him not to go to the party. and associate with evil bad association.. Prince has been going to many "worldly" events that probably are make many JWs and ex-JWs wonder why he can do that and they can't or couldn/t.

Blondie

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I wonder if his background singers in the tight little shorts are sisters and pioneering?

abr

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I've never heard that one, it's probably as blondie says - some other jws way of persuading him not to go.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

When I was a witness, I never heard anything like that. And my daughter who is into Japanese art, decorated her room with dragons. No one said anything to us. Of course it depends on the Witness, some are more looney devout than others. Lilly

• Hoping4Change
    Hoping4Change

He's performing at the Super Bowl this year isnt he? I'd say that's pretty 'wordly' of him. (Only cultural arrogance would "insist" that dragons are evil.)

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Straining the gnat....

Perform at Super Bowl - OK
    Go to worldy party - OK
    Go to worldy party that has dragons on wall - NOT OK

• Honesty
    Honesty

I can't wait for the Prince party tonight.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

I understand Bro. Prince's stumbling at dragons. They were forbidden in our home. Satan is the great dragon in Revelation hurled down from heaven by Michael (aka Jesus)!

When my aunts and uncle traveled to China, they brought back carvings and paintings depicting dragons. Mom wouldn't accept any as gifts.

When my uncle (who teaches "pagan" Tai Chi) married his Taiwanese wife, the wedding invitation was bright red with a beautiful golden dragon on the front. We were instructed to rip the card in half and discard the dragon, but its was okay to keep the rest of the invite!

Later my aunt tried to explain to mom that in her culture, dragons are harmless good luck symbols. But we know Witnesses don't believe in "luck" or wishing good luck to others, so it was a moot point.

Pinatas: YES. Dragons: NO.

~Sue

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit