Anyone here, have you had enough religion for the rest of your life?

by restrangled 88 Replies latest jw friends

• never a jw
    never a jw

I'm 48 and I just started getting religion. It drives me nuts, but I don't seem to get enough. I'm a masoquista.

Having very little indoctrination in my childhood, I easily walked away from religion when I was 13. I went back to studying religion right after my daughter asked me for permission to get baptized and become a JW a year ago. I am hooked, but I am angry too.

Th Watchtower is controlling my life too. Unbelievable!!!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I posted this on my facebook today:

"Yeah, those pesky Christians, trying to end homelessness and hunger in West Michigan."

1st comment is from JWN member XXXXX who is not a Christian nor is she a believer:

" The nerve! ;)"

2nd comment from me:

" This is the Mel Trotter thrift store in XXXXXXX. One of the things I can proudly say about my kids and grandson Julian is that they cherish great thrift store finds. Julian volunteers at the St Mark's Breakfast Cafe' when called. " (Julian's an atheist.)

Dot. Dot. Dot. (comments about thrift stores and the bargains)

Me: " Yes, I mean what are they thinking, XXXXX? Reaching out to the homeless of XXXXX XXXXXX and feeding and housing them and stuff? They even have this dastardly car ministry where they teach poor people to repair autos (providing training for a skill that can lead to a trade) and then sell the cars to help even more homeless and poor people."

JWN memberXXXXX : " Oh the horror! :O . LoL"

I don't want anyone forcing their beliefs, whether religious, atheistic, agnostic or political on me. I appreciate good done for our fellow humans, especially the most vulnerable of society, no matter who is doing it.

I have a deeply spiritual side: it goes me where ever I go. I don't need a formal place to express it. When I do though, it's at the Episcopal Church usually. I am definitely universalist though. The Unitarian Church doesn't give communion. If I'm going to go to a religious service, it needs to have the ritual of communion. Likley, it means something different to me than it does to anyone else. Having the bread and wine is a traditioin in my family. It makes me feel connected to my childhood and to my mother who has passed on. It's also very beautiful. I can understand why ex jws who are born in or raised in might not feel comfortable with it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Julian, my atheist grandson. He's 17. He's a member of GREY youth group. He has been on mission trips, helping poor and homeless people. He volunteers at St. Mark's at least once a month, feeding the homeless and desperately poor neighbors a wonderful breakfast. He goes sometimes to have communion, too.

Here he is in the outfit we got him from Goodwill and Mel Trotter. New hat, like new sweater, like new pants. He has come back to live with me. Can't say I'm disappointed. He had me take his picture earlier today. 6'1" and 155 lbs of awesome young man.

• tec
    tec

Oh, I'm so glad he has come back to live with you! I was sad for you that he had left. I mean, they leave of course, and live their lives, as we want for them. But you just love him so much, and it is so easy to see from the way you talk about him. Who couldn't use having that kind of love in their life?

Peace,

tammy

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Thanks, Tammy. I'm going to send you a PM.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Yes, restrangled, I have. If I even hear talk of any religion or even spirituality, my eyes just glaze over and I can't wait to change the conversation to anything else. I used to think that women talking about their makeup and diets was so inane but now even that's more interesting to me than religion.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Hi FHN

Long time no see! Your last two posts are interesting to me because they illustrate beautifully two sides of the same coin Humanitarian aid is very interesting to me because it addresses doing something concrete to address man's true basic needs. And whether it's those pesky Christians doing it or your atheist grandson is totally irrelevant.

That's how I think about religion now and even talk of spirituality, that it's irrelevant. People can believe whatever they want and talk about whatever they want, but it is what they do that counts. Doing something constructive and beneficial for society is challenging and interesting. Arguing about the superiority of one belief over another is just ego and sounds like blah, blah, blah to me now.

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

That would describe me perfectly!

Bill

• designs
    designs

Thrift Stores can be great, I buy all of my shirts there, Tommy Bahamas go for $3.00.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit