Anyone here, have you had enough religion for the rest of your life?

by restrangled 88 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I could probably be called a Nihilist, I believe in nothing at all.

ya, i float back and forth between seeing a slight smile, and a poker face, in the universe. that is to say between meaninglessness and objectively manifested personal intention. and honestly, some days i much prefer the meaninglessness, in an objective/external sense. and believe it or not, i enjoy it. it's a sort of very fine balance. i guess i only believe what i know. but i believe it is important to always challenge your view. if you are a complete materialist/reductionist, then i say it's good to approach theedge of what you find believable, and explore it. i'm all for always being a little uncomfortable with the entirerty of what i believe.

but ya, you'd be hard pressed to get me to officially join any club.

tetra

• rowan
    rowan

yes, absolutely. today when we were driving to work, we switched to one radio station and a preacher was saying " there is no greater responsibility than that"(in reference to god worshipping) arrrrrrgggggghhhhh. It made my blood boil. we immediately changed the station but I vented all the way to work. greater responsibility than worshipping a god I cannot see, in comparison to raising and loving my (future) children who are going to be there depending on me for that??? what a load of BS.

• vomit
    vomit

"but i believe it is important to always challenge your view. "

Tetra, I get this a lot, but I often hear this from people who don't like my views. I think too much room has been given to the religious, then when I say I am pretty open minded, they usually retort that I should broaden my views and taste their brand of Kool aid. Being "open minded" has become a religion of peers itself and people use it to force you into accepting a view that is plain wrong.
    Its like being open minded about gays, yeah they are just people, but I don't afford them religious freedom or the right to marry. If you want to be of a religion say being Christian, the rules are pretty much that "god doesn't like fags" i just dont see the point of fighting religious dogma, when the whole thing is wrong. its buying into a fallacy then changing it to suit yourself. It would be much more productive to fully denounce religion.

Usually there is 2 views, "you are with us or against us". But if you dont even want to be involved in the debate, they want you to conseed to their views, i.e. "you should be more open minded" or "challenge your views". The thing is I have lived in 6 countries and seen a lot of extremes in my life. Been in various religions been in charitable organizations, but nothing ever changes, people will always object to something about you. It usually manifests as religion or "morals". I see the whole system as being closed minded since I have escaped it.

Spirituality, I never got it at all, I have no feeling. Though when I started leaving the JWs I visited the Coln Dome, and realy felt close to the piece of architecture, but that is what it was, awe at the shape of some stone. Nothing even related to a "higher power". I have been called spiritual, because I like going out and photographing or going surfing in typhoons. But the energy I feel, is a mix of endorphins and the low pressure of the storm affecting my inner ear. I just dont feel "spiritual".

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hey Rest,

Agree with Tetra and Lovelylill re: spirituality, and that redefined. The more I learn, the less I know. Strange that EVERYTHING has been pulled out from under me, but I have gotten past the panic and what-do-I-do-now? phase. Que sera sera?

CoCo

• startingover
    startingover

Yup, no more religion for me. Can't think of anything I dislike more than religion, organized or not. If something even comes close to religion I hate it.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey man, if you're comfortable, good for you.

if you're not comfortable, then perhaps it's because you're not as free from what you imply you are free from. but then, perhaps it's not! har har.

tetra

• vomit
    vomit

Rowan this god you described is not even god.

"yes, absolutely. today when we were driving to work, we switched to one radio station and a preacher was saying " there is no greater responsibility than that"(in reference to god worshipping) arrrrrrgggggghhhhh. It made my blood boil. we immediately changed the station but I vented all the way to work. greater responsibility than worshipping a god I cannot see, in comparison to raising and loving my (future) children who are going to be there depending on me for that??? what a load of BS."

The radio presenter may even be atheist( the worst kind of one, the one that doesnt have any conviction) but he cares about the spongers and dollars coming in. He will push religious crap for his listenership for all the soccer moms driving their children to Sunday school. Most american media seems like that these days. They denounce atheism and free will, for a quick buck and make the religious more fervent so the will fight the dollar Ideal more.

• becca1
    becca1

That would be a YES!

• vomit
    vomit

if you're not comfortable, then perhaps it's because you're not as free from what you imply you are free from. but then, perhaps it's not! har har.

Its a lot more difficult than that. We cant escape the consequences of other people religion. Ask all of those in the twin towers if the believe in Muhammad or not. The died for vindication of his name. It is just as impossible for me to be free of Jehovah, despite it is a made up god. How I was raised and even actions I will take in my future are affected by belief in him. The only way for me to be free would to be cut off from everything. Perhaps solitary confinement.

• Quandary
    Quandary

I am through with organized religion on any level. What works for me is the Sermon on the Mount. As far as I am concerned the guidelines for living that Jesus taught in the three chapters, Matthew 5-7 are all one needs. The Beautitudes give us the secret to happiness and the Golden Rule tells us how to be constructive members of society. It's just that simple, who needs all the complicated man made rules and regulations which make up religion? Not me!!

Q

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit