Society's claim of Matt. 24:14 being fulfilled - What it could really mean

by Jourles 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jourles
    Jourles
    1975 had very limited printed exposure - most of the hoopla came from this very kind of "Bethel Elder Gas Leakage" during special events or assemblies.

The big difference between 1975 and 2007 is $$$. 1975 was during the hey days of growth. 1975 was used for growth. They must realize that growth has all but plateaued now. So if donations are down, publisher growth is at the very minimum, and the cost of printing literature isn't being recouped, what does that leave them with to do?

• They can try and raise donation levels - they've been at this for a long time; it doesn't seem to be working.
    • Boost publisher ranks - people are not as receptive as they used to be(too materialistic and they want an education); plus the internet is exposing their little scheme.
    • Cut literature expenses - stop printing so damn much; say Matt. 24:14 has been fulfilled
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

So true, Skully, but keep in mind that the WTS can convince the r&f to ignore
    the statements on face value and twist or spin it in print or during the next
    CO visit.

Yes, they are not ready for all the recording devices that will be used against
    them and they will continue to hurt recruiting. But if you get your captive
    audience, tell them anything. I think WTS is focusing on retaining JW's
    right now. New recruits, that will be a focus after they first fix the leak in the
    bucket.

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

They already put it in print in an 80's awake article that Paul was spear heading a work that would end in the 20th century. Then nothing was done about it. They changed the wording in the CD.

Blueblades

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

I think this was a trial balloon as well. Nothing official but because it was said by a Bethel speaker who indicated he was going off the prepared material (outline), many locations are simply not going to hear the statement. I don't believe for one second that this Bethel speaker did not have permission to make that statement. No way he would take that sort of liberty without approval from above.

Also interesting was the admission that the FDS is actually the Governing Body and not all the annointed as was previously taught. Again, this may have been a slip, because everyone knows that while not the official teaching, its certainly the practice.

I know they are trying desperately to raise the numbers and the Big A threat is always useful. Obviously, if they scaled back the preaching work, it would be a move to save money. The big problem I see is what activity would they use in place of "preaching" to keep the r&f busy and distracted from the fact they are being used? The solution would be to 1) clear out all old literature with special campaigns, 2) go to tract only work. The tracts are cheap, and can usually be "placed" easily.

I just can't see them making life any EASIER for the average JW. That would be far too kind.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    or they are going to have to accept the fact that these non-authorized statements are going to be readily available to people all over the world as fast as they spew out of the mouths of the Bethel heavies

The thing is, they know most of the jw's have internet access and email. They also know that there are quite a few in the audience that have recording devices. Combine the two and you have an instant viral email chain that will spread across the world if any statements of worthy note are made. I think that is part of their plan - whatever plan that may be.

Just imagine back to when you were a witness. Didn't everyone want to know ahead of time what was going to be said at the assemblies or which publications were going to be released?(it's part of that "I know something you don't know" mentality) With this sort of audio clip going viral, jw's that have received it will be asking all of their friends if they have heard "the latest." Some will spill it and others will make their friends wait for the assembly. The anticipation of hearing it with their own ears, in person, will get them all excited.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

"Claiming that the preaching work has ended(as the brother from bethel plainly said), would be the biggest news since the donation arrangement." - Jourles

The donation arrangement was a result of losing a legal battle in order to avoid taxes on their business.

Claiming that Matt 24:14 has been fulfilled could open up the way to get the rank and file "Witnesses" off the street in the near future to avoid legal liabilities. Face it, we live in a litigious world now. It comes down to the idea that even volunteers distributing literature for a corporate entity are agents of that entity. I could imagine them continuing the preaching work with "specially qualified" (i.e. not pedophile) pioneers. Indeed, one would have to "reach out" for such a privilege and be "above reproach" in order to qualify.

I actually know some people who love the door-to-door work. However, I think that the vast majority of the R&F would welcome this change. Perhaps some who would like to leave now would actually stay if they didn't have to go door-to-door.

Dave

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

UnderAGlassMoon asked,

A little help here, What is the Matt 24:14 prophecy ? What does the scripture say "more or less" and what has the WTS said was evidence of its full -fill - ment? Its not that we will have cleaner burning cars by 2015 right?

Matthew 24:14 says:

"And this good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come."

This is a key scripture in Watchtower misology and has been used since the days of "Judge" Joseph Franklin Rutherford, the second president of the WTB&TS, to justify the intensive "preaching" activity of Jehovah's Witnesses and the continual effort to increase that work - to reach "all the inhabited earth."

Prior to Judge Rutherford (Pastor Russell) there was absolutely no effort made to reach "the masses" - Russell considered that his job was to gather together those Christians who had already devoted themselves to God because the end was so close.

It is as close today as it was then.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Service is a purpose for the group's existence, a way to measure loyalty and commitment, a way to create an artificially high demand for printed items, a way to generate cash flow by way of donations, a brag item such as seen on the published yearly service report, a recruiting tool, an identity point, a competition among members, and an isolating tool.

Unpaid poor weather door to door literature distribution is a seen as a "privilege" to be earned and maybe taken away. I think Phineas Taylor Barnum had it right.

• JH
    JH

Maybe we should organize a last apostafest before it's too late.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Quotes from Gary's post. Just having some fun with you Gary! ;)

"Service is a purpose for the group's existence," - Being legally liable for the actions of a million "publishers" can alter priorities.

"a way to measure loyalty and commitment," - And also a BIG turn-off to many potential converts.

"a way to create an artificially high demand for printed items, a way to generate cash flow by way of donations," - One can barely GIVE Watchtower literature away. If anyone is "paying" for the literature, it's the publishers, and I'd bet those donations continue to decline.

"a brag item such as seen on the published yearly service report," - Many of us know that it's a padded figure.

"a recruiting tool," - The average Joe Publisher will never bring in any converts. Regular pioneers are more likely to bring in new "recruits".

"an identity point, a competition among members, and an isolating tool." - And a source of guilt and fear, too.

"Unpaid poor weather door to door literature distribution is a seen as a 'privilege' to be earned and maybe taken away. I think Phineas Taylor Barnum had it right." - Please pay $1 to see the extremely rare Egress. Thank you. This way please...

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit