Society's claim of Matt. 24:14 being fulfilled - What it could really mean

by Jourles 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jourles
    Jourles

I've had this thought for quite a while and wonder if fits with the recent talk about the WTS claiming that Matt. 24:14 has been fulfilled. My thought was this --- In the wake of the recent cutbacks at Bethel, scaling back of literature, and other cost cutting measures, could the WTS be preparing the r&f for the complete or massive reduction of literature that would normally be placed with "householders?" As we all know, the WTS is bleeding red ink. Everything they have done over the last several years points to this fact. In order for them to survive, they must reduce expenditures while at the same time keeping roughly the same amount of cash flow coming in. By eliminating all of the WT's printed over a count of ~15 million, this number would just cover the amount of publishers and their families and studies. They could do away with the Awake altogether. Other literature items could be scaled back to just cover the publishers and family.

I remember a few years ago trying to guess what steps the WTS would take to cut back on expenses(scaling back the Awake to once a month!). Applying Matt. 24:14 was genius. I never even thought of that route. What a great way to eliminate a wasteful printing program. Tie it into bible prophecy - the r&f will easily fall for that excuse. Plus, it covers over the fact that they are getting killed with their expenses. The jdubs will never know what is really going on. They will simply get all fired up that the work is ending and armageddon is sooo close now! I wouldn't be surprised if they just used tracts out in service, if they continue to go out in service. I imagine that there will still be some sort of field activity to qualify brothers for work and to keep tabs on the r&f's "faith meter."

So, what do you think? Plausible? Or could there be another reason for these talks? Remember, how could these talks be tied to money? Answer that question, and I think we'll find where they are heading.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Or since multiple translation is very expensive and I truly doubt they get loads of contributions for Urdu or similar - could reduce printing to all the basic huge growth araes, English ,Spanish, Portugese, English ,French, Chinese, Russian, Japanese etc - so by saying Mt 24:14 is fulfilled could then justify cutting back on translation

• garybuss
    garybuss

If Matt 24:14 is satisfied, why do "service"? The book publishing side of the business is a bust. Has been for years. The door to door book sales are about done.

Income now only comes from the cells (congregations), conventions, and solicited donations and grants and wills. New members come more from breeding than reading. They'd have better increases if Witnesses stayed home Saturday morning and . . . . :-)

Offers for 2006
    Jan: Literature offer for January:
    Any book published prior to 1991
    that the congregation may have in
    stock

Feb: Literature offer for February: Draw
    Close to Jehovah. If this publication is
    not available, you may use the Revelation
    Climax book as an alternative
    offer.

Mar: March: What Does the Bible
    Really Teach? Make a special effort to
    start Bible studies.

April:The Watchtower and Awake! magazines.

May: The Watchtower and Awake! magazines.

June: Learn From The Great Teacher. If individuals
    say they have no children, offer the Family Happiness book.

July and August: What Does the Bible
    Really Teach? When householders already have
    this publication, use an appropriate brochure
    that the congregation has in stock.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1
    By eliminating all of the WT's printed over a count of ~15 million, this number would just cover the amount of publishers and their families and studies. They could do away with the Awake altogether....
    They will simply get all fired up that the work is ending and armageddon is sooo close now! I wouldn't be surprised if they just used tracts out in service, if they continue to go out in service.

That very well may happen. It would be great if it did. This plan could spell great trouble for them in the long run. When previous predictions failed, there was still more magazines to hand out and more diciple making work ahead. Now if the average JW loses that zeal to get out there and make diciples, what is to keep the average JW from quitting for good?

Now if they just used tracts and campaigns like Kingdom News 37, that would work for the short term. JWs don't actually talk to anybody, but are instead no different than the local paper boy. But in the long term, how many "special messages" can one deliver to the masses before the messages aren't that special anymore?

• Scully
    Scully

They would eliminate a great deal of expense if they started putting the publications in PDF format and setting up an electronic subscription format for JWs. They could use that for personal copies of the magazines and study publications. The annual minimum electronic subscription donation of $X per year would ensure that each subscriber received all the issues and an updated CD-ROM each year.

Bibles and reference works like the Insight volumes could be offered for "minimum donations of $X", the way some charities operate.

Since the preaching work has been fulfilled, there would be no need to publish nice copies for JWs to distribute. They can print their own study articles on toilet paper for all the WTS cares... it isn't $ coming out of their coffers.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Hmmm, set up a pay site for .pdf literature. That would even get former JWs to pay for literature.

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

A while ago, I made a fairly cynical observation on the future of the publishing business; conversion to PDF distribution has benefits as you can get the R&F to print out as much as they need. It would probably displease Jehovah to use dot matrix though......

Plus the fact that you can have as much new light as you want without having to reprint.

h9k

• Jourles
    Jourles

Regarding electronic distribution, maybe we should bump this thread.

• Scully
    Scully
    Hmmm, set up a pay site for .pdf literature. That would even get former JWs to pay for literature.

The downside, of course, would be that the WTS would have all your personal information, including a viable credit card number.

Don't be surprised if you get an unsolicited visit at your door....

Still interested??

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

Scully, I'm not interested, because I don't even touch the Watchtower .pdf books that surface on the net now. But since you said they could get your information and make an unsolicited visit to my home... I'M REALLY NOT INTERESTED... (SHUDDER)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit