Society's claim of Matt. 24:14 being fulfilled - What it could really mean

by Jourles 93 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
    Gill

Emma - A 'Big Change' has been rumoured for quite a few months.

Time will tell!

• metatron
    metatron

I find your comments to be hopeful - but , as others have said, it needs to come out in print.

We may simply be seeing a comment intended to fend off any notion that the end of the preaching work ( and

Armageddon) are far off because 'we gotta preach to China'. Even guys like Harry Peloyan personally worried about

this. In Russell's day, I think they claimed that the preaching work was fufilled because they could preach to every

nationality in NYC!

Consider the desperation that might be behind any such official pronouncement - if it is clearly stated.

There would be little left to do but wait for Armageddon! Why preach? It's done! Another thought to consider

is - could it be possible that they need to reduce the preaching work discreetly to save money and preserve

their collective positions now that Bethel has been downsized? Have they completely run out of ideas?

Is there nothing left but "Armageddon, Armageddon!"? Or have they secretly lost faith in all of it?

If you like my Soviet analogies, it would similar to sneaking capitalism back in after you have denounced

the "traitors" ( i.e. "apostates") for suggesting such a thing.

metatron

• Jourles
    Jourles
    A 'Big Change' has been rumoured for quite a few months.

If this isn't the mother of all big announcements, I don't know what would be! The False Religion tract was nothing. Claiming that the preaching work has ended(as the brother from bethel plainly said), would be the biggest news since the donation arrangement. (I would say the generation change personally, but half the jw's didn't get that one so it doesn't count)

• Jourles
    Jourles

Have they completely run out of ideas?

Is that even possible?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I won't believe it is official that Matthew 24:14 is fulfilled until I read it in print in a WT publication.

While I fully agree with Blondie's statement above, the WTS often sends out the word thru CO's and
    convention talks- gauging the response. This way, if the response is negative, they won't print the
    word and they can deny it in the future. If the response is positive, they consider printing it.

In the past, this was probably more effective. Now, so many people record all the talks that they
    will continue to have to guard their spoken words. Of course, they can always claim rogue
    Circuit Overseers spoke without authority.

• Scully
    Scully
    The False Religion tract was nothing. Claiming that the preaching work has ended

Perhaps this "announcement" was the outcome of the False Religion's End Is Near tract campaign. The theme of the tract ties in with the passage at Revelation 17:15-17 that he read.

It sounds like the world-wide tract campaign was all part of a carefully contrived plot to make the claim that the scripture at Matt 24:14 has been fulfilled.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Blondie, I think, is onto something here -

I won't believe it is official that Matthew 24:14 is fulfilled until I read it in print in a WT publication. Ciro Auclino gave a talk where he suggested that the Muslim nations were the king of the north. That was in 2001 and I still haven't seen anything in print in a WTS publication.

Just because a Bethel Elder (well, make that Bethel "Heavy" or even GB member) said at a special talk or assembly does not mean the idea is verifiable. Remember 1975?

1975 had very limited printed exposure - most of the hoopla came from this very kind of "Bethel Elder Gas Leakage" during special events or assemblies. Even if they were scripted, it was not always "word for word"...and the society always had "plausible deniability".

How cynical this would indeed be if they are doing another "we hinted around about it but never really said it". And then blamed it on the publishers who "ran ahead of the organization".

However, my guess on this one is that it was an individual or two making their own effort to accelerate the "time of the end frenzy" without thinking too much about the implications of this claim. Or, maybe a ham-handed attempt to explain why they cannot get the preaching work done in China, Communist nations, or Islamic nations.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    It sounds like the world-wide tract campaign was all part of a carefully contrived plot to make the claim that the scripture at Matt 24:14 has been fulfilled.

That does make sense. I can even imagine them printing in a book 20 years from now illustrating how that tract ended the fulfillment of Matt 24:14. The same way the conventions in the 30's were compared to the trumpet blasts in Revelation.

• blondie
    blondie

Final judgment message: I understood that this happens after the destruction of Babylon the Great.

w843/15pp.18-19God’sUnited"MightyNation"toFilltheEarth***

The expanding visible organization of Jehovah is nearing the time when he will use it in another mighty way: to deliver his final judgment message against this system. This may be likened to the time when the Israelites, who had already marched around Jericho once a day for six days, were instructed: "On the seventh day you should march round the city seven times and the priests should blow the horns. . . . When you hear the sound of the horn, all the people should shout a great war cry; and the wall of the city must fall down flat." So on the final day the work speeded up by seven times! Then the horns sounded, the people shouted a war cry and "the wall began to fall down flat."—Joshua 6:2-5, 20.

Today the "soft" waters of truth are being taken to the people to encourage them to turn to Jehovah. But the day soon will come when the message will turn "hard." It will announce the imminent end of this entire satanic system. The soft waters of truth will congeal to become the hard hailstones of truth. So powerful will these final judgment messages be that they are likened to "a great hail with every stone about the weight of a talent," that is, of gigantic size. That is why Revelation 16:21 states: "The plague of it was unusually great."

• Scully
    Scully
    Remember 1975?

This is where modern technology, electronic media and the Internet are going to be able to bite the WTS in the @$$.

Back in the pre-1975 hoopla, it was rare for someone to have recording devices - the ones that were available were expensive (by 1970s standards), bulky, cumbersome to use, and subject to mechanical failure, tape degradation and breakage. Recordings are rare and valuable items. Not so in the 21st century! Modern recording devices are extremely affordable, portable, user-friendly, and require only virtual storage space. The Internet provides an instant and easy distribution point.

The WTS is either going to have to instruct their Bethel heavies to stop making such statements - and severely discipline those who are non-compliant - or they are going to have to accept the fact that these non-authorized statements are going to be readily available to people all over the world as fast as they spew out of the mouths of the Bethel heavies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit