QUESTIONS FROM READERS----CHECK THIS OUT!

by Mary 87 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Mary,

Thanks for sharing the latest load of BS straight from the Borg! It is absolutely amazing how they pick and choose what they want to accept and want to reject. They are not consistant in their line of reasoning, and because of that, it makes it much easier to reason with those who we want out!!! This kind of crap and cult control just makes me sick..GRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Again writing things that are not mentioned in the Bible, going above the things written. I don't know if toasting is wrong but being toasted is.

abr

• rebel8
    rebel8
    can be viewed as asking 'heaven' for a blessing, as if seeking aid from a superhuman force."

Um, isn't that what they do at the meetings and the ASSemblies? Asking 'heaven' for a blessing?

The March Kingdom Ministry addresses this by propulgating a new regulation allowing chinking of glasses only if you say, "I toast to you, in Jesus' name, Amen."

• chasson
    chasson

I think that some french's JW teacher will ask themselves some question after reading this article. In a special meeting in France in 1997, only for JW working with children, including all the JW teacher, Guy Canonici, himself, one of the head of the JW in France, said that toasting was a matter of conscience.

Bye

Charles

• nelly136
    nelly136

so whats the memorial if its not a ritualistic

ceremony to pay hommage to a dead geezer?

maybe theyre running short of annointed and need to phase that out.

• Confession
    Confession

This is a real knee-slapper. I'd say it might just flip a few current JWs already experiencing cognitive dissonance.

They used the same logic to allow a wedding ring, by saying most don't see the religious symbol of them, but see them as a sign of being married. And then say most don't see the religious symbol of toasting, but as christians we can't do that.

So plain. So arbitrary. So obviously ridiculous.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

That last paragraph is really baffling, where they say there are valid reasons why a christian wouldn't join in a toast, then don't provide any, apart from a scripture from Exodus that doesn't appear to have anyhting to do with toasting:

2 You must not follow after the crowd for evil ends; and you must not testify over a controversy so as to turn aside with the crowd in order to pervert justice.

I can't see how the act of toasting would be covered by that text.

Perhaps they don't give valid reasons because they don't have any?

• Mary
    Mary
    Perhaps they don't give valid reasons because they don't have any?

Ya; kinda like their reasons for not:

1. celebrating Christmas, Birthdays, Mothers Day, Fathers Day, New Years, Easter or Thanksgiving
    2. allowing brothers to grow a beard
    3. getting a tattoo
    4. saying "We were wrong"
    5. letting your kids go to university
  • Snoozy
    Snoozy

It's funny to me as I read this..In my opinion Wedding rings are still a religious symbol...and yet they wear them!

When people get married they have the rings on a special pillow..like it is an offering...

Then they sometimes bless the rings..in certain religions...

Then when it's all over they take special pictures of "The rings on the fingers"...

And god forbid if you lose them at sometime in the marriage..bad luck...

That's why a lot of folks won't buy their rings at a pawn shop..

And yet they can (JW bosses ) overlook these points so they can do what they want...they figure the JW's probably wouldn't stand for that to be a false religion thing so they make excuses ...

Yep..lots of "Religious" ties to a wedding ring..the toast and EVERTHING else in the wedding feast!

I can remember when they didn't even approve of alcohol at the receptions..

And the wedding party were not allowed to think they were special that day..Sad....
    And you weren't allowed to sign your present...didn't want you to get praised over another present that may not be as good..

Snoozy...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Narkissos....Looks like Bono from U2 made the connection between Psalm 116 and toasting:

What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me? I'll lift high the cup of salvation -- A toast to God! I'll pray in the name of God; I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, And I'll do it together with his people.

Sound familiar? Bono recited these lines, or some variation on them, before "Where the Streets Have No Name" throughout the Elevation tour. U2-watchers online quickly traced them to Psalm 116. You'd be hard-pressed to find an expression like "a toast to God!" in the Bible on the family bookshelf, however. Most fans, if they gave the matter any thought, probably assumed Bono had done a little creative paraphrasing. Bono putting an ear-catching spin on Biblical passages is, after all, nothing new.

http://www.atu2.com/news/connections/peterson/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit