QUESTIONS FROM READERS----CHECK THIS OUT!

by Mary 87 Replies latest jw friends

• Clam
    Clam

Jehovah has shown inconsistency in his dealings with the pomegranate. Surely he won't worry about clinking of glasses? It would be a tragic technicality to be caught out on at Armageddon.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Mary, thank you for posting some food at the proper time. It's so confusing sometimes as to which pagan influenced mundane routine to use, and which one to repulse. Watchtower Food (I guess that is what you meant by "WTF") at the proper time indeed.

steve

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The reasoning in that particular article begs for the question, why wouldn't a JW simply solve the so-called ambiguity of the "appeal to heaven" by saying/thinking "Jehovah bless you"?

It reminds me of one of the very rare family meals I attended after I was df'd, ten years ago or so. The only JWs in the whole group (about 15 people) were my father, my stepmother, her daughter (my stepsister) and her husband. Both men were elders. At some point my "step-brother-in-law" (neologism?) casually mentions a different "origin of toasting" he had just read or heard somewhere (it would have implied originally not only the clinking, but the partial mixing of cups just before drinking, to dismiss any doubt about poison in the middle-ages when poisoning was common). True or not I don't know. My father immediately started to "reprove" him by saying "it is not what the Society (sic) teaches and we should pay no heed to anything contrary to what the Society teaches". All of this before a majority of non-JWs

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

I had been to a jw wedding not to long ago and there was toasting and I asked one of the active JWs about it and they had said it was a conscious (I know I am not spelling that the JW way, but I cannot remember it, but anyways) matter. So it must have gotten back to the WTBTS that the dubs were starting to stray and they needed to reign them back in. Let's strain the gnat about this crap but let's stick to the whole 2 witness rule to allegations of molestation.

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

Nark, maybe it's a French thing, because the mixing of drinks to show no poisoning is what my wife (who's a Frenchie) says. BTW, she also says that if you don't 'look each other in the eye' while doing this it's seven years bad sex! LOL.

steve

• looking_glass
    looking_glass

Come on Nark, as we all know the WTBTS is all about revisionist history (like a lot of American school history books). Why in world if they found out about the clinking coming from something other than a "pagan origin" would they ever fess up to it.

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

They used the same logic to allow a wedding ring, by saying most don't see the religious symbol of them, but see them as a sign of being married. And then say most don't see the religious symbol of toasting, but as christians we can't do that.

If there is no longer a non-christian signifigance, to it, then what's the big deal. It's a toast, not bowing toward a statue.

IDIOTS!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

What I find utterly hypocritical is that they fully recognize the pagan origins of wedding rings and using wine in religious ceremonies (like the memorial), yet they only apply the prohibition to some items. They also forget that baptism began among pagans.

• Mary
    Mary
    Watchtower Food (I guess that is what you meant by "WTF")

Um.......no that's not what WTF stands for hon.......I'll let someone else explain.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Interesting also that they mentioned the "raising of hands" in Israelite worship but not the libations (or "drink offerings"), or Psalm 116:13: "I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the LORD."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit