QUESTIONS FROM READERS----CHECK THIS OUT!

by Mary 87 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    WTF... Welcome to finland Water the Flowers Where's the Fly

How about: (the) Watchtower's Fried

• BrentR
    BrentR

Where's The Fun? Remember you can only use that question on Wed, Thur or Fri at the latest.

• CharlieBrownsLovelyDaughter
    CharlieBrownsLovelyDaughter

WTF??

What the ____ (rhymes with luck, or suck, or muck, or duck ... or yuck)

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Weddings are FULL of Paganism, that the JWs follow.

http://english.montrealplus.ca/feature/wedding/8636/symbols_traditions.jsp

The Significance of Colours

Don’t be grey—it’s your wedding day! Many superstitions are associated with colours, and weddings are full of those! Before choosing your bridesmaids’ dresses, ribbons for your flowers and tablecloths, find out about the significance of colours:

• White means virginity and is reserved for the bride
    • Red and fuchsia represent love and happiness
    • Blue is synonymous with fidelity, but also the pureness of the Virgin Mary
    • Grey is often a good omen for those who want to go abroad
    • Green is the colour of fertility and chastity
    • Yellow symbolizes adultery
    • Gold is a symbol of the engagement

Say It with Flowers

The all-important bridal bouquet is a symbol of fertility. In the old days, young brides wore wreaths of flowers around their heads to highlight their one day as a princess. Since the Middle Ages, daisies have been associated with indecisiveness and roses with passionate love. Lilies are the flower of purity and lilacs mean tenderness. Avoid carnations at all costs since they attract the evil eye, but squeeze in some ivy between your flowers to affirm your attachment. Always green, ivy grows intertwined with the ground, and is therefore a symbol of eternal love.

Rice, Confetti and Modern Variations

Guests are often asked to toss rice on the new couple as they leave the church. This tradition comes from agricultural countries like ours, where it is believed that rice bestows prosperity, wealth and fertility on the couple. This pagan tradition has evolved through the times. Nowadays, confetti, rose petals, a flight of butterflies, or even the simple sound of the bells symbolize luck and happiness for the newlyweds. Releasing doves is also a powerful symbolism, since these birds couple for life, representing monogamy. Long live the happy couple!

A Shiny Wedding Band

The diamond engagement ring is a symbol of purity and, of course, the engagement. The wedding band, on the other hand, represents eternal love, a promise to stay united for better or for worse. The band is worn on the left hand, because in ancient Egypt, they believed that the “love vein” passed through the finger and led directly to the heart. Some affirm that in the 17th century, priests in Christian weddings chose this finger after having blessed the first three fingers of the hand in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Four Lucky Items on Your Wedding Day

A rhyme from 19th century Britain declares that a young bride should wear four items that will bring her luck through her new life.

• Something old symbolizes family support;
    • Something new symbolizes future success;
    • Something borrowed symbolizes happiness for the couple;
    • Something blue represents faithfulness.

This tale also warns to avoid pearls because they represent tears that the bride will soon cry.

The Garter

Certain Paleolithic paintings depict nude dancers wearing garters, which lead us to believe that this accessory carries certain charming powers. Others say that the garter contains fairies for femininities and that it is a magic talisman. Today, garters symbolize mystery and virginity, especially if it is blue, and well hidden under layers of crinoline!

Traditions That Ring Clear

Ever wonder how wedding traditions started? Read on!

The Parents of the Bride A Valiant and Strong Husband

The Wedding DressSpread the Love!

The Parents of the Bride

Traditionally, parents played an important role in their children’s nuptials. The father not only has to make a hope chest filled with beddings, tablecloths and china, he also needs to truly bless the union. He also gives his daughter away in the church before offering her to the groom. The mother has the crucial mission of ensuring beautiful weather. By hanging her rosary on the laundry line the day before the wedding, she ensures that the sun would shine all day long! She is also responsible for preparing the Jordan Almonds (candy coated almonds) offered as favours.

A Valiant and Strong Husband

Ever notice the bride is always on the left? This tradition was inherited from our ancestors. Years ago, when brides were kidnapped, the valiant knight often had to cross swords with men from the bride’s family and other suitors. He would hold his bride with the right hand, leaving his left hand free for his sword. To prevent bad luck, the husband also has to carry his wife across the threshold for their first steps into the newlywed’s home. This tradition comes from the Roman Empire, when a bride tripping over the threshold meant that the marriage was doomed to failure.

The Wedding Dress

Heavy with superstitions, the wedding dress can absolutely not be seen by the groom before the bride enters the church, because it is unlucky. According to tradition, the bride wears white to highlight her virginity, and her face is covered by a veil that the father of the bride must lift at the altar. This custom comes from a time when men covered their future wife’s face with a sheet before kidnapping them. This precaution prevented the newlyweds to find their way back to their childhood homes. Some also claim the girls were veiled because of arranged marriages. The promised one was only “unveiled” after the official engagement to ensure that the bride was not rejected due to physical defects. Finally, for pagans, the veil served the purpose of pushing away evil spirits that might surround the bride on the wedding day.

Spread the Love!

It’s customary for wedding guests to express their happiness for the new couple, and a noisy joy it is! The long queue of drivers sounding their horns one after another is a custom adapted from the bridal procession crossing the village towards the church in the olden days. The bride also shares her happiness with her single friends by daring one of them to get married in the next year, but they have to fight to catch the bridal bouquet! The men will share the garter that the husband will have removed from under his bride’s dress with his teeth. In the olden days, the garter was cut and each piece was auctioned off to help cover the wedding expenses.

• Spirit Axal
    Spirit Axal

Lol mary... lololol

• choosing life
    choosing life

So if I am not toasting to a God, then it should be ok from this logic. I would no more be using it in the way the pagans did. It would mean no such thing to me and others today.

I can't believe I used to buy what they sold. They take the smallest matter and blow it up into a major decision to ponder. All the while, forgetting what really matters in life. Definately "strain out the gnat and gulp down the camel".

And I really can't believe I ever thought the "Questions From Readers" was really questions people had about life and not just made up to enforce insane ideas.

I mean, who really cares if people thousands of years ago drank wine to their gods honor? What does that have to do with me?

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I for one am glad they keep making asinine statements. They make such grandiose claims that without the idiocy, it would be hard to tell what a group of duplicitous pricks the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses are.

• Tatiana
    Tatiana

Mary...you just don't know how handy this scanned article (Questions from Readers) came in tonight. I had a JW post on another board that I was a liar and crazy, and making up all kinds of crap when I tried to list some rules JWS have. She said my congregation should have been disolved if we had these rules. And proceded to tell everyone I was lying about "clinking glasses."

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! Thank the "search" option. Thank Simon. Thank JWD. Thank you all for the awesomeness of APOSTATES!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit