I thought I was alone

by elinor 60 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I lived through the 1975 era, listened to the talks, and all the hoopla. I was a little stunned after 1975 hearing people say that it was no big deal, or that there were a few people who came up with the idea and that the rumor just spread. Still I continued... thinking, it certainly will be within the generation of 70 or 80 years. However, I did read the article in Time? magazine about Ray Franz' deflection and it always hung in the back of my mind--why did they come up with that date in the first place?

About two years ago my daughter and son-in-law returned from a district assembly, and my son-in-law brought up some highlights trying to encourage me. He talked about 1975 and how silly it was that so many people had sold their homes and property before 1975 thinking that Armageddon was coming. (I had been very slowly fading for 6 years up until that time but had never breathed a word of my dissatisfaction).

I could stand it no more. Bad enough that they had predicted the date, denied ever having predicted the date. Now they were mocking those who had followed their advice. I told my SIL and daughter that the Society had encouraged people to sell their homes and property. SIL said, they would NEVER have done that. I said, well they did. It was in the KM, and that I had a copy of it at home if they would like to see it.

To make a long story short, the "shit" hit the fan. They went to my father who was recently a widower, told them I had apostate tendencies, and guess what? I was disinherited. Now daughter and SIL own all his property. Never mind that I spent 7 years helping my father take care of my mother who ended up with severe Alzheimers with practically no help from relatives.

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

I'm new here as well. I've had doubts my whole like but was a good little lemming and put those away. Well, they surfaced and after I was DF'd (2 months ago or so) I decided to start looking into things. You will surely be shocked when you learn much of the history. Research the UN issue, you will be pissed, then read Rutherford's interview related to Beth Sarim and you will laugh.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

welcome to the board

I remember when I read Romans I wanted to throw the Bible across the room (I think I did actually hmm) because it became blatantly obvious at that point, that the GB was full of themselves.

I have vastly different views about the Bible now, but am happy I got out.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

So did Elijah.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Welcome, I had to agree with this:

Then came the infamous Daniel book. ...when we studied chapter 17 and came to the prophecy about the 1,260 days and it was applied to Rutherford's imprisonment, I wanted to throw the book across the room,........... I just kept thinking, this is ridiculous, this is just ridiculous. It didn't make any sense to me how they could apply that prophecy in that way. The way they've twisted other prophecies to apply to them also began to bother me tremendously.

I was already in the doubt mode by the time I read this. I look back at how ridiculous the beliefs were that I did fall for.

Wishing you the best. Welcome to the forum.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Right now I'm feeling kind of numb with shock. First I was scared (still am), then came the anger in a BIG way. I feel so betrayed and used. I regular pioneered for a long time and feel like it was a total waste of my life.

This is a common reaction, both Sirona and I were just discussing that we went through those exact emotions.

Fear, shock, anger, a sense of waste is all natural but at least you can see it for what it is...you can now start to deal with your anger and heal.

Living well is the best form of revenge!

G

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Welcome. I PMed you. I very much went through feelings very similar to yours. Websites like this one really helped me to realize that I was right to have serious doubts about what I was being taught, and teaching myself.

Carefully make your way out. You'll get a lot of support here.

S4

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings elinor,

I really and truly thought that I was the only witness who has had MAJOR doubts about the Society's validity.

Welcome to oceans of people who thought the same as you.

Dismembered

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Welcome Elinor...

Far from being the only one who feels as you do, you are now in a worlwide community of caring people who know what it is like to be misled by the WTS . It is a great feeling to realize that , cathartic, may be the right word.

I was there in '75 as a young elder, trying hard to do the right thing. We interpreted the Society's caution over the "exact date" to refer to weeks or months after, certainly not years ! (or even before?)

I remember conversations such as saying "Suppose it should go the full to '75, would we have doubts....?", or in about '74 " Of course we used to say 'in a few years time' but now we now that it is a matter of months"

So, yes, people were fired up and the Society fuelled that fire by what they said. that is on record at other sites It certainly affected my life choices and decisions, not for the better. But we are all here now, and the wiser for it. Keep posting , and good luck with your fade.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Welcome, elinor!!! I, like you, was raised "in the truth" and I was 46 before I finally walked away. I regular pioneered for 13 years and believed it wholeheartedly.

I have such a marvelous feeling of freedom now -- it's unbelievable! It took a couple of years, though, to finally break free from the guilt feelings, so give yourself time. Read the "Best of" section in the forum and trust your own mind to tell you what is true.

Oh, and by the way, Christmas is every bit as wonderful as it looked from the other side!

Hugs,

Nina

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit