Yes, What You Really Wear Does Matter !

by The wanderer 56 Replies latest jw friends

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Back in the 60s, my brother always wore jeans to the hall and gave his talks in jeans. The other boys, what few there were in our congregation, wore jeans as well. Nobody had money to buy their kids suits then. I was disfellowshipped in 1975, and when I came back in 1983, all the boys from toddler age up wore suits. So I dressed my kids in suits, too. But as my sons got older, they rarely went to the hall as Daddy said they did not have to, and they went so rarely that I could not see spending money on suits for them, so they went in jeans and a nice shirt. Well, then they did not want to go to the hall even more because they were given dirty looks and comments on their apparel by adults and kids alike. I would have thought everyone would be glad just to have them come, but obviously not unless they were in the Watchtower uniform.

When I was first coming back in, I was pregnant with my third son. My husband and I did not have a lot of money and I had hand-me down maternity clothes, but also some nice maternity pants suits I wore to work. I did not have any dresses, so I wore the pantsuits to the hall. Well, one of the elders on local needs gave a talk stating that women were not to wear pants to the hall. At the time, I was trying to get reinstated and would do whatever was asked, not even questioning it or feeling they were wrong. But I could not afford to buy any maternity dresses right away, so I did not attend meetings for a whole month until I could afford to buy a couple of dresses just so I would be in compliance when I went. They may have thought I did not come because I was mad at what was said from the platform, but that was not the case. I felt at that time that they were right and that I would not go until I could be in compliance. Now I look back and think how crazy that was.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

When I was new I wore pants for a very long time and that pissed them off. In time I wore dresses but only when it suited me.

They also had a problem with slits in skirts, length, cleavage showing etc.

They have serious issues with "modesty" in women but I fear most of the trouble was instigated by jealous elder's wives and "older" women in the congregation who could not wear stylish clothing and made trouble for younger or more attractive sisters.

LHG

• Warlock
    Warlock

We had a brother who was a M.S, later appointed elder. When he was an M.S., he would occasionally come to the meeting late, WEARING HIS DIRTY WORK CLOTHES! He was never counsuled, actually, the publishers, including me, admired the brother for coming like that, rather than going home and missing the meeting.

This brother was one of the most kind and decent brothers that I ever knew.

Warlock

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Wanderer,

The statement the elder made to you that the "society follows a corporate structure" really is telling isn't it?

When we were new to the hall, the elders told my hubby he could not be considered to read the magazines unless he had a proper suit jacket and tie. They would not even let him read at the book study in someone's home on a hot summer day (around 97) because he did not have a jacket on. And the sister whose home we were in did not have airconditioning! I thought this was so pharasitical.

Also the CO's wife counceled me about my 11 year old daughters style of dress and earings. The earings she said were "too wordly" looking and she thought my daughter was trying to keep up with the latest fashion trend. She was very surprised when I told her that a nice 75 year old sister in the hall gave those to my daughter as a gift. And that the elderly sister had worn them herself. I think this lady just had a problem with my family as these earings really did look like "old lady earings" (no offense to you older gals)

The other problem several sisters had with my daughter was her color choices. I always allowed my kids the freedom to pick their own clothing as long as the style was acceptable. I mean come on, they have to make some decisions for themselves. Anyway, several sisters thought my daughters choices were "too colorful". I asked one elder's wife what she meant by that and I swear these are her exact words "Well, you can tell your daughter is half puerto rican". My hubby was furious. (he is the pr I am italian) So apparently the Puerto Ricans in the world have cornered the market on loud color choices?

Other than that nothing in my family. But my hall was racist. The elders once made a white sister remove braids from her hair as they thought it was a "black style". Glad to be free from it all. Lilly

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I had a part on the Circuit Assembly and was wearing a white shirt with a satin white collar (yes very 1980's) The CO made me rush home and change my shirt before giving the part.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think in the USA the dubs were more fanatical about keeping to petty rules being so near to the den of the wolf. In the UK I was never bothered and don't know anyone that was for such attire (and the beard) issues.

• gymbob
    gymbob

Oh yea, I got asked to the back room first back in 80' for growing a mustache, our CO showed up with one so I thought it would be ok....wrong!

Then in the early 90's I grew a nice , well-trimmed beard for a couple weeks, that got the elders so pissed off at me, but what are they going to do read me a scripture? Which one?! HAHA!! I shaved it off, but made my point, what a stupid rule!

Then right before I left I started wearing a shirt and tie with a nice sweater to the meetings (how REBELIOUS!! OOOOH!!) got lots of bad looks but no elder dared go there....what a BS cult!!

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Only among JWs would a Mr. Rogers outfit be considered worldly or rebellious!

S4

• restrangled
    restrangled

When I was visiting my mom and dad one summer, mom talked me into going to a Sunday meeting. I wore a very fitted denim dress trimed in black velvet with 3" heels. It was just above the knee. When I sat down it promptly road up about 6 inches. Of course I wound up right across the aisle from the PO and his wife. His wife literally stared, clucked and shook her head at me the entire meeting. I in turn edged the dress up higher and flaunted. Was she pissed off but didn't dare say a word. The PO himself on the other hand didn't seem to have a problem.

My mom was a great dresser and where we came from most people dressed to the "nines" especially on Sundays. When she moved to Florida, the first thing out of the PO's wife in that hall was, "You look too good, we are humble people here, you need to tone it down" My mom was about 66 at the time and the PO's wife was probably 10 years younger. My mom's response was, "We are suppose to be representing the finest government for mankind, I am going to look the part." Nary another word was ever said.

r.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Back in the 60's and 70's I used to get my hair pulled for being too long.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit