time, I was a baptized brother and that was a Watchtower
    no, no.

The Elders started the counseling

It seems in order to get me in line with the program
    I was counseled about not wearing a suit. My reaction
    was," I just did not feeling like wearing one today."

The elder strongly counseled me about wearing a
    suit and how the Society follows a corporate structure
    and we should all follow "suit." (pun intended)

Going Overboard

In the 1970s, there were some elders who would not
    allow the visiting public speaker to deliver a talk un-
    less he wore a white shirt.

Your Personal Experiences

Did anyone on this board ever have a groom-
    ing or attire issue at the Kingdom Hall?

Did anyone get "counseled" or criticized for wearing
    or not wearing a certain piece of clothing?

Please post your comments so that we
    can all benefit from this discussion.

Respectfully,

The Wanderer

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

How was your Vacation?..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

When I was younger, I remember my sister (about10)and an Elders daughter from another hall got the same fancy dresses for the memorial. It was a silky peach one with an semi-open back. Well.....an elder told us that it was innappropriate and basically called my little sister a tramp.....I get mad thinking about this.....and the elders daughter had no issues in her hall. It is typical.

• What-A-Coincidence
    What-A-Coincidence

not in bethel

one bethel elder would wear boots and jeans to work...dark colored jeans of course

he was freakin awesome...he would always be slammin bethel policy... like i said though ... leaving the comforts is a hard thing to do

wac xElder xBethelite

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Wanderer,

I am surprised that the Elders counseled you about wearing a sweater when it was cold. Of course, if you were giving a talk, then a suit is (or was) required. But, what we would do is dress in slacks, a shirt and tie, then put on a wool sweater and then the suit jacket over the sweater. Some, including me, would simply remove the jacket or sweater as we went up for our talks. I was never counseled for that scenario. I do recall the "white" shirt issue in the very early 1970s ... but by 1974, colored shirts not only were accepted, but almost the norm.

I think it was around 1975, I grew a mustache ... and it was the talk of the congregation ... and yes, I was counseled. I then showed the Elder counseling me a picture in a recent publication at the time of a JW sporting a mustache. He then tried a lame argument about the ethnicity of the person so depicted. But the picture did not really call for such a distinction ... so, I won the debate, and no action was taken to remove me. My talk of growing a beard, however, brought many frowns and scolding looks.

I recall that "bell-bottom" pants were a no-no ... until a few Elders bought new suits with slight bell-bottom design ... and then they were acceptable. I am glad they went out of style, because they tended to catch on things and get dirty and worn faster.

Jim Whitney

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I had an outfit that I would sometimes wear that was color-coordinated with white, red, and blue colors. I wore that one to a meeting on Election Day and once on the Fourth of July. I was not counseled per se, but I was embarassed when reminded that these are "patriotic" colors.

• brutusmaximus
    brutusmaximus

Told off for goaty beard but showed them verse about not shaving the bad boy, they hit back with a farticle about not having them. I showed them something about tatoos in the same verse Lev I think it is so they let it lie, I said one rule for that another for this make your minds up. I think my card was marked though

Also told off for pink shirt and tie being too thin, I mean come on!!

BM

• daystar
    daystar

Odd that. My old cong. never seemed to have a problem with sweaters in the wintertime. We didn't always have to wear complete suits either. We could wear slacks with shirts (long or short-sleeved) and ties, without having to wear a suit-coat. But then again, this is Texas and it gets pretty damn hot.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve been all over..Cowboy boots,no cowboy boots..leather jackets,no leather jackets..White shirts,colored shirts,no coloured shirts...It all depended on the whims of the Demi-God that ran the congragation...OUTLAW

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was counseled when I wore a bright tie. It pissed me off, so I bought a new, fluorescent tie for the next meeting. No one said a word to me about ties after that. I knew a MS who was counseled for wearing a tie that had pictures of golfers on it. The elder said he was "glorifying recreation". Next meeting I noticed the elder who counseled the MS was wearing a tie with sailboats on it, so I used the opportunity to give a little "counsel" of my own, and told him to stop "glorifying sailboats".

I was also counseled many times for having a moustache, and once for wearing prescription glasses with tinted lenses. They said I shouldn't be trying to "look cool" at the kingdom hall.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit