Yes, What You Really Wear Does Matter !

by The wanderer 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock
    I would walk 5 miles to the assembly hall with tennis shoes and then change into dress shoes.

That would get you into the Yearbook in South America or Africa.

Warlock

• juni
    juni

I was always dressed impeccably. lol One time I was wearing a sundress that I had made. The back was pretty bare. They asked if I could pin it over more. Being that it was a wrap around dress I could do this. Then it was alright.

But elders were always having issues w/ brothers wearing the suit jacket.

Juni

• Jourles
    Jourles

Ha! Back when I lived in San Diego, I would wear a long sleeve dress shirt and no jacket just to get out of saying prayer at the meetings. My verbal excuse was that it was too hot to wear a jacket.

When I was in the Silverthorne, CO congregation, I sometimes wore a cardigan sweater to bookstudy. Our group was super lax - folks were even encouraged by the family whose home we met in to bring their slippers to wear(the bk study conductors wife wore bunny slippers, yes, with a bunny head on the front). The elder conducting(whose last name starts with a K and shares a popular beer brand name) would try to get me to wear a jacket instead of a sweater. He never came out and said it, but do you think he was trying to make a point by not asking me to say prayer on the nights I wore a sweater? It was very obvious on nights when we were the only two brothers at bookstudy -- he would open and close. Come to think of it, he didn't have a problem with me reading the paragraphs, just saying prayer.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    I was counseled when I wore a bright tie. It pissed me off, so I bought a new, fluorescent tie for the next meeting. No one said a word to me about ties after that. I knew a MS who was counseled for wearing a tie that had pictures of golfers on it. The elder said he was "glorifying recreation". Next meeting I noticed the elder who counseled the MS was wearing a tie with sailboats on it, so I used the opportunity to give a little "counsel" of my own, and told him to stop "glorifying sailboats".

ROTFLMAO I love that.

• becca1
    becca1

I know of several congs. and a certain CO that have a fit if sisters don't wear pantyhose!

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

I would walk 5 miles to the assembly hall with tennis shoes and then change into dress shoes.( Cuts down on the blisters.)

Carrying the dress shoes started to be a pain so I left the dress shoes at home. EVERYONE would look down at my tennis shoes and do the eye roll thing. An elder made a comment about it not looking right. I took off the shoes and walked around the assembly hall in my socks. When people asked what was up I would say, "I walked 5 miles to get here. Apparently wearing comfortable shoes to walk 5 miles to get here stumbles most of you. Perhaps, like Jesus said to the Pharisees, you should consider the more important things."

WOW, GOOD for you for saying something. AND ALSO good for you for walking to the assembly.

I missed giving you a welcome, BronzeFist, it's hard to keep up, so WELCOME! I'm from WI too, Madison, maybe we know each other in real life (I'm really a girl, I swear it).

Good Girl/Bad Girl

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Like some of the other "sisters" voiced, there was always issue with my dress, and it always was along the lines of how I looked/dressed was making it harder for the young men in the congregation.

One time I was guarding a contribution box at the assembly hall and an elder came up to me and said he could not let me continue to have that "privilege" unless I "covered up". It was the middle of the summer and very very warm. I had taken off my cardigan sweater but I didn't think it was that big of a deal. During my two DF'ings I felt guilty about that incident for years. Looking back, it really wasn't a privilege in the first place.

Good Girl or Bad Girl

• dido
    dido

Quite a few years ago, the bro`s were counselled about wearing white socks, and when i visited some congs in Austin Texas, i didn`t wear tights (pantyhose) because it was too hot, and we didn`t have to wear them in England, but the pioneer sis i was staying with wasn`t too happy about it, as it was the norm there.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

I didn't wear panty hose to the Memorial this year! OH NO, LOL.

My friend who came with me didn't understand what the big deal was. I was such a rebel.

• pippy
    pippy

i was counciled when i was about 13 for wearing a dress ,, it was kneee length but when i sat down it would strech across my knees,,, it was prolly the only dress i liked and i wore it often. mum bought it for me in hawaii and i felt confident in it. in the bookstudy this sleezy 30 yr old guy used to stare between my legs and i could see him doing it , wishing he was in there..!!! someone must have noticed cause the elders told me it was not appropriate and could stumble the brothers. Then my mum made me wear really long granny clothes and i felt like a complete dag,, and begun my identity crisis..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit