Yes, What You Really Wear Does Matter !

by The wanderer 56 Replies latest jw friends

• VM44
    VM44

Dark colored suits are the most popular with men.

Not so many wear grey suits, and fewer still wear brown suits.

--VM44

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Not so many wear grey suits, and fewer still wear brown suits.

I must be really odd. I still have a burgandy suit at home.

W

• done4good
    done4good

Towards the end of my time "in" I always wore colored shirts and matching ties with no jacket. I didn't think then I was intending to be rebellious, but shortly after I was gone.

j

• Kudra
    Kudra

I was ALWAYS getting counseled on "dress and grooming".

A sister even made a comment at her hall (that I did not attend) about one of my casual outfits that I wore after school one day! I think she might not have thought that I would randomly be at that meeting that Sunday.

-Or maybe she DID see me and did it on purpose...

Another time I was conseled about my bra straps being visible and how that "makes it hard for the young brothers"

-I'll bet it made it f**kin' hard for them ;)

Nowadays I just know that for those creepy old men to even be noticing all those myriad of things about my clothing is just waaaay sick. Fer christ's sake I was just a teenager! They SO need to keep their eyes to themselves...

Perverts.

-K

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I was never counselled for the way I dressed for meetings, but I was one time when it was our congregations turn to clean the assembly hall at Hellaby. I went in jeans and trainers, and an elder said the jeans were ok, I was there to work, but I should have worn shoes. I think he was just having a bad day, I'd been there before and worn the same, as others had and were doing that day, and nothing was said.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

My cousin was counselled that he couldnt give a talk in a jacket and trousers, it had to be a matching suit.

It was pretty harsh as he was only about 13 and had no dad and so more or less lived on the poverty line with his mum.

Ive known a congo have a spare jacket hanging up for people who wore jumpers and not a jacket. Cos obviously god cant hear or something if you dont have a jacket on, and all the audience will fall out of da troof.

• exwitless
    exwitless

My husband was running mics during the WT study once when it was probably 95 degrees outside and felt like 150 degrees in the hall. So, he took off his suit jacket so he wouldn't drown in his own sweat. He still had a dress shirt and tie on, but the PO went and asked someone else to take over for my husband because he wasn't wearing his jacket! He didn't even start by asking him if he had a jacket and if he could put it on. The other brother just came up and took over. I always thought the strict dress code was rediculous. When its 95 degrees and humid, who in their right minds would really want to dress in a suit to go door to door? As for me, some of my most vivid memories of field service are of me wondering if I'll ever get the feeling back in my legs and feet after being in service in 0 degree weather for 2 1/2 hours, because HEAVEN FORBID a sister would wear warm slacks in service when its absolutely freezing outside! Surely the householders (who don't want to stand there in the doorway letting out their nice inside warmth anyway) would be totally turned off to "the truth" if they saw women wearing slacks!!!

• done4good
    done4good
    My husband was running mics during the WT study once when it was probably 95 degrees outside and felt like 150 degrees in the hall. So, he took off his suit jacket so he wouldn't drown in his own sweat. He still had a dress shirt and tie on, but the PO went and asked someone else to take over for my husband because he wasn't wearing his jacket! He didn't even start by asking him if he had a jacket and if he could put it on. The other brother just came up and took over. I always thought the strict dress code was rediculous. When its 95 degrees and humid, who in their right minds would really want to dress in a suit to go door to door? As for me, some of my most vivid memories of field service are of me wondering if I'll ever get the feeling back in my legs and feet after being in service in 0 degree weather for 2 1/2 hours, because HEAVEN FORBID a sister would wear warm slacks in service when its absolutely freezing outside! Surely the householders (who don't want to stand there in the doorway letting out their nice inside warmth anyway) would be totally turned off to "the truth" if they saw women wearing slacks!!!

I remember doing "field watch" at Yankee Stadium in the early '90s before we started going to Nassau Colliseum. If it was 90 degrees in the stands, it was 110 on the field. We could not take our jackets off. I always thought this was extremely impractical, if not unsafe.

j

• bronzefist
    bronzefist

I would walk 5 miles to the assembly hall with tennis shoes and then change into dress shoes.( Cuts down on the blisters.)

Carrying the dress shoes started to be a pain so I left the dress shoes at home. EVERYONE would look down at my tennis shoes and do the eye roll thing. An elder made a comment about it not looking right. I took off the shoes and walked around the assembly hall in my socks. When people asked what was up I would say, "I walked 5 miles to get here. Apparently wearing comfortable shoes to walk 5 miles to get here stumbles most of you. Perhaps, like Jesus said to the Pharisees, you should consider the more important things."

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Bronzefist:

Good answer to those Pharisee freaks.

LHG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit