Yes, What You Really Wear Does Matter !

by The wanderer 56 Replies latest jw friends

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Never got counseled for my clothes, but I got a warning for the sideburns I used to rock.

I still miss 'em.

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit
    Never got counseled for my clothes, but I got a warning for the sideburns I used to rock.

I got counselled for shaving mine up too high.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

riverofdeceit

I was many times counselled on the way I dressed. I didn't give a crap (well, I cared about getting counselled but I just didn't "heed" it). I had some elder doogooder give me some handmedown suits. Never wore them. They went to the thrift shop. I wasn't much of the conformer JW kid. Some would incorrectly call it rebellion when it was actually just not conforming.

Unfortunuately, I don't think most JWs understand any distinction between the two concepts.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

I was in a congregation that had some elders that tried to be the fashion setters, (i.e. you dress like they wanted you to) and I only had one fun in with them. This brother commented on the fact that at one meeting I wasn't wearing a tie, and I asked him to step outside for a moment and we did, I then told him in no uncertain terms that when I had to check with him on what I was or was wearing it would be a cold day in hell, and to mind his own business and if he didn't like it well then lets get it on, I took off my jacket and offered to whip his ass, he of course being the coward he was declined to take me up on it. I didn't speak with this individual ever again after that and I spent 2 more years in that congregation, just goes to show they are cowards at heart when faced with someone who doesn't give a damn about their nonsense.

• Bad Girl
    Bad Girl

I cant help thinking whilst reading this that its all about control and making sure everyone stays in line. Why were the pervert brothers who were staring at girls legs, backs, shoulders and cleavages not given a "talk" in the back room about keeping their roving eyes under control?

• jjessie
    jjessie

I've noticed the following over the course of the last couple of years: the guys have kept the rigid dress code, but the sisters seem to be getting more and more lax. I see sisters who wear literal "flip-flops" (rubber) shoes to the meetings. Perhaps its being in so cal, or perhaps its the elders don't have enough energy to police everyone... which like i say, is fine by me.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I became a JW in Florida and I wore short-sleeve shirts with a tie and no jacket whenever it was hot. The brothers had no problem with it. I would conduct book studies w/o the jacket, and put it on if called upon at the KH to give a talk or handle a mic. I moved to Illinois and never changed. The elders knew that I was an elder before moving, so they never said anything. Many brothers were surprised (shocked is too strong) to see me get away with this. Apparently, the elders used to be very stuffy, the cong. got used to that, things never changed. So, many brothers started going out in service w/o a jacket, or taking it off at the hall more often. The elders never complained. They did have an unwritten "No braids" rule for sisters until an African sister with braids moved in and they decided not to counsel her, soon others were wearing braids.

My current cong. is very stiff about dress, but mostly just gossip and no real counsel. Since deciding to fade, but unknown to publishers, I have been able to put people in their place talking about Bible students in jeans or publishers going to the KH in various stages of casual. I really enjoyed telling them, SO WHAT? I started wearing khaki pants, with a shirt and tie, NO JACKET. As it gets cold, I will still do that, but carry a windbreaker or other non-suit jacket.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit