Yes, What You Really Wear Does Matter !

by The wanderer 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but where I was, it was frowned upon for sisters to have a part on the Theocratic Ministry Schoolâ„¢ to be wearing a dress or top that revealed their shoulders.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    I was never counselled for the way I dressed for meetings, but I was one time when it was our congregations turn to clean the assembly hall at Hellaby. I went in jeans and trainers, and an elder said the jeans were ok, I was there to work, but I should have worn shoes. I think he was just having a bad day, I'd been there before and worn the same, as others had and were doing that day, and nothing was said.

Aren't trainers shoes??

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

I remember my best friend getting called out because he forgot his tie in the rush between coming home from school, rushing to work, coming home and changing then going to the meeting with no dinner. He was still quite presentable he just missed the noose..no matter they provided a verbal noose instead.

• VM44
    VM44

Can a brother wear a bow-tie when giving a talk? --VM44

• bythesea
    bythesea

My son was a teenager in the early 90's and frequently was taken to the back room to be counseled, usually by one elder in particular, about his choice of shirt and tie...patterned shirts were not allowed, it seems, and my son had a nice dark one with small design that he thought looked good with his dark suit...and he wore a solid color tie to go with it...it was very tasteful, but NOT allowed. No reason given, just DON"T. Also, choice of shoe style was criticised...no Doc Martens, no matter how polished they were! Yet, one of the elder's wives dressed so bohemian that when we first moved to that KH I thought she was someone's bible study...couldn't believe she was an elder's wife and got away with her thrift-store baggy styles(and I love to shop thrift stores myself!!), but you get the idea! So, maybe it's who you know that determines what is ok?

In another vein, a friends daughter who was pioneering was criticized by the brothers for being TOO modest in her dress choice! She liked the long dresses and I guess with her long hair which she wore braided down her back she looked too "hippyish" for their taste! Her dad was one of the elders and her mom a pioneer also and they both went to bat for her, but lost...either she dressed more "appropriate" (meaning knee length suit skirt and blouse, using one of the older elder's wives as an example or she would be removed from the pioneer list!). Today she is out, happily married and wears whatever she darn well pleases!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Pantyhose is such a WEIRD name for them!

They are panties with hoses stuck on for your legs to go down, right? Pantyhose.

(we call them tights, which prolly sounds as weird to you)

I was told I would be taken off the pioneer list if I didnt stop wearing a particular coat. It was one I had bought second hand, and despite looking like a ladies coat was actually buttoned up the MAN way - so I was wearing a mans garb. The elder told me he didnt know this but had gone and LOOKED IT UP! I offered to change the buttons over to the other side, but apparently now they knew it was a mans coat changing the only feature that identified it as one would not have been good enough. They made me buy another one.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

Pantyhose is such a WEIRD name for them!

They are panties with hoses stuck on for your legs to go down, right? Pantyhose.

(we call them tights, which prolly sounds as weird to you)

It is funny isn't it? Well what I call tights are thicker and often brighter colors, and what I call nylons or pantyhose are the thinner ones that are usually skin colored... is that the same for you?

I was told I would be taken off the pioneer list if I didnt stop wearing a particular coat. It was one I had bought second hand, and despite looking like a ladies coat was actually buttoned up the MAN way - so I was wearing a mans garb. The elder told me he didnt know this but had gone and LOOKED IT UP! I offered to change the buttons over to the other side, but apparently now they knew it was a mans coat changing the only feature that identified it as one would not have been good enough. They made me buy another one.

This is one of the most bizarre things I have ever heard - WTF - do you still have the coat, I hope???

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

NYLONS! Of course. We use that word too. Maybe its just me that says tights then, if I think about it, all the shops call them nylons here.

Hose!!! LMAO. Hoses for your legs to go down!

I dont have the coat unfortunately. I was so ashamed and embarrased that I threw it out.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Not sure if it's the same everywhere, but where I was, it was frowned upon for sisters to have a part on the Theocratic Ministry Schoolâ„¢ to be wearing a dress or top that revealed their shoulders.

I don't know about that but I do know one of my childhood friends ended up leaving partly because of this beautiful dress she had. It was GORGEOUS... she saved up her money to buy it. It was practically floor-length on her because she was very short and petite. It was NOT low-cut or too tight and it was made out of this beautiful cream fabric with pink flowers. She was excited to wear it to the memorial or convention, and then her dad decided that it was inappropriate because it was sleeveless and showed her shoulders. Well it was right after that (she was about 13 or 14 when this happend) that she decided to go live with her mom full-time and fight going to see her dad and step-mom. Her mom was not a JW, so as far as I know (I lost contact with her all because of a stupid dress) she stopped going to meetings at that point. All because of a stupid dress. I hope her dad felt dumb for making such a big deal about it. She was so sad that she couldn't wear it. A stupid dress. Jeez, let's focus on the important things, shall we? Good Girl/Bad Girl

• riverofdeceit
    riverofdeceit
    I know of several congs. and a certain CO that have a fit if sisters don't wear pantyhose!

Sounds like he has a fetish. I was many times counselled on the way I dressed. I didn't give a crap (well, I cared about getting counselled but I just didn't "heed" it). I had some elder doogooder give me some handmedown suits. Never wore them. They went to the thrift shop. I wasn't much of the conformer JW kid. Some would incorrectly call it rebellion when it was actually just not conforming. I don't work that way, I guess. If it was hot out, I wouldn't wear a jacket. One time a dude said something about it when we were out "in service" and I told him that it was either preaching without the thing or going home. Which would Jehovah prefer? A sweaty person knocking at your door on a Saturday morning to sell religion doesn't seem like a good sales pitch (yeah, it is selling, and the price is far too high). It freaks me out that a lot of you signed up voluntarily, but then again a lot (I don't know if it is the majority but it is still too many) of kids stay in. The conformity they expect, so as not to "cause a stumbling block", actually works against them. At least, it sure as there is no hell did in my case.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit