Question: Demons

by ladybug25 113 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• daystar
    daystar

Schism

You would probably very much enjoy reading Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End

• rebel8
    rebel8

There is an interesting concept in psychology/sociology called archetypes. It's been a while since I studied it, so I don't have a reference to suggest, but perhaps one can be found on Google.

I was thinking about this thread over the last few days and remembered this theory....which could possibly explain the concept of demons and a bunch of other beliefs shared by different cultures.

It's basically the phenomenon whereby humans have created mythological figures and mythical explanations for things in their worlds, and the archetypes are similar despite what culture you're part of or what time period you lived.

• By_Blood_Immortal
    By_Blood_Immortal

unfortunately for all of you, you know nothing of demons. I have BEEN to Haiti. I've seen it first hand.

Shadrach is one of the most respected missionaries in Haiti. He has lead countless people out of their Satan worshipping. Alright, stop the jaguar story, you are obviously missing the point. What is more impossible to believe, that a guy followed two jaguars or that there is a God? Think about that for a moment. You are believing in something you have never seen. You have seen people do idiotic things. Would you have been happy if I said "o this guy was walking down the street and saw some animals talking in an abandoned hut". You would have all said "o ur lying. That isn't real. jaguars don't go into abandoned huts etc." Unfortunately, you have an unreliable source telling you a tale that seems to tall to believe. I have the pleasure of knowing whom I have believed and actually speaking with him. I trust him like I trust my mom. If he says it happened, I believe him. That doesn't necessarily make it true, no. But I still believe him. In short, obviously the story is not helping anyone so just drop it. I'm sick of being called a liar and having Shadrach accused of being drugged.

Constantine was a well made movie with a horrible plot. I mean Satan has a son named Mammon? Really, what I want to know is... how can someone that does not exsist have a son?:P No but really, over all it was a dumb movie with dumb a dumb religious thesis. I bought the movie for $4 and regret it.

• freetosee
    freetosee

Schism,

this link follows your line of thought... http://www.mt.net/~watcher/ufos.html

• TheKings
    TheKings

i've been possesed before. it was kind of fun. in the kingdom hall too ... i was laughing and screaming and i couldn't stop myself. the intensity i felt was painful...they had to carry me out because i was disrupting the meeting.

it all stopped when i put up a fight. it tried to make me do stuff...i resisted...it hurt like hell...but after a while i gained control. half of it was due to my OD-ing on my meds, but half was real...i know it was. it continued even after the meds wore off until i fought it.

i can tell the whole thing in dirty detail...it scared me at first, but now i'm just glad it's over.

• dido
    dido

Jeffro- i didn`t say i cast doubts about someone else`s experience, (altho` it does sound a bit far fetched), i was just thinking of the practical side of someone walking behind 2 vicous cats. The other thing is, i wasn`t `thrilled` about my experiences at all, i was `freaked` out, and didn`t enjoy it!

Dansk- i`m blushing!

As much as the arguments you `unbeliever`s` give, have you thought that you could be in denial of another spirit life, after all you can`t prove that it doesn`t exist. Also any of you that are interested to know if there is a spirit world, watch `Haunted Homes`, it shows you example`s of ghost`s etc. there was a good one on last night, they said it was the scariest one they have come accross, chairs were moving on their own, and it was very spooky!

• rebel8
    rebel8

By_Blood....

You are perfectly well within your rights to decide to believe in something for which there isn't tons of proof (visible or scientific proof). Just don't make the mistake the jws make--pretending something is provable because you believe in it. (backwards logic) That's all I'm sayin'.

:)

• freetosee
    freetosee

Dido,

we do believe that you have seen, heard and felt what you have experienced. It is the reason -the explanation- for this phenomenon which differs from yours. As a jw I believed the world is living in denial of the truth. As Jeffro said…

Groups such as JWs (and others) allow a person to become convinced that demonic attacks are a possiblity, so anything that they cannot otherwise explain, (which could be purely imagined, misunderstood, or stress-induced, etc) can be put down to 'demons'.

If anyone is experiencing these conditions, they should recognize them as a symptom of a broader problem (which could be stress, lack of sleep, medication (side effect of existing, or need for), or any of various other conditions), and identify and treat the cause.

While it is convenient to get upset with anyone who denies the reality of experiences which may seem very real, it does nothing to rectify what could actually be a very real problem that has nothing to do with the paranormal.

You choose, and rightfully so, to be an unbeliever to the other explanation. But that’s ok.

• TheKings
    TheKings

i think we can come to the agreement that a jw is eager to correlate any odd happening to something demonic, without saying that it is either possible or impossible...?

• TheKings
    TheKings

BUT...i think my experience was rather unique at the kingdom because no one said it was demons, they all tried to understand that i was just sick in the head , which i was. i'm still at odds on what to believe happened those few days. i know the brain is capable of anything under enough stress, and it was the stress of trying to conform to their beliefs that started me down that road of self-destruction.

it's like a bad dream...all of it.

i've had 3 other experiences...2 good, one bad ... so i'm holding out that there is something out there, but i try not to think about it too much- that's when it becomes a problem :p

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit