Let's just get something straight about 1975.

by WTFBBQPWNT 170 Replies latest jw friends

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I was researching something else for another forum and happened to come across this info on DocBob's great site:

"It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated."

"Here the governing body avoids the use of the first person, presumably in an effort to also avoid any responsibility for the buildup of expectations regarding 1975. Of course "it is to be regretted," but by whom? I am sure that those who sold their houses or businesses in order to spend the last few months of this system in the pioneer work regretted it. So, probably, did those who held their children back from going to school in the fall of 1975 and those who did not have needed medical or dental work done, or those who did not bother with retirement plans because the end was so near. The question is, did the governing body truly regret it? Their statement here does not say whether they did or not. If this were a real apology there would be no question.

The way this sentence is worded, one might think that it was the fault of the "latter statements". After all, it was they that "overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to the buildup of the expectation already initiated".

If we removed all of the responsibility-dodging language, paragraph 5 might read something like this:

5 In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led us, the governing body of Jehovah’s witnesses to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With our publication of the book Life Everlasting - In the Freedom of the Sons of God, we of the governing body made comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man's existence. In doing so, we aroused considerable expectation regarding the year 1975. We of the governing body made statements then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, we also published other statements that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. We of the governing body sincerely regret that we apparently overshadowed the cautionary statements with these latter ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation far beyond what was appropriate or scriptural.

In paragraph 6 the tone becomes even less apologetic and far more accusatory.

In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: "If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint."

Here the governing body moves from just avoiding the responsibility to putting it on those who were disappointed when nothing happened in 1975. In saying that it is those who were disappointed that need to "adjust their viewpoint", they are laying the blame squarely on them. It is their viewpoint that needs adjusting, not that of the governing body that raised their expectations for a decade."

Thanks, DocBob!

hugs,

Annie

• juni
    juni

I was waiting for this evening to post what I wanted to say. I don't have access to the WT's printed pages from years ago and I knew that others would be able to do this.

I was a very active JW from 1970 - 1991!! Pioneered and all of the rest. I remember what they said and I also remember how they back pedaled and put the blame on us for thinking that they had said this about 1975. Quite a few did drop out. I chose to go on.

Looking back now - knowing what I know now and have experienced in this organization- I only wish I would have left.

First of all - A HUGE thank you to all of you who posted the PRINTED FACTS MADE BY THE WT SOCIETY and oral statements made by elders and circuit overseers and others about the end coming in 1975.

Face it Birdy, claiming the WT never said that the system would end in 1975 is being intellectually dishonest. True, those WORDS may not have been said, but all of the implication, innuendo, and encouragement of the r&f to think that way was accepted by the WT. Then when it failed to happen, they went and put the blame on the same r&f for thinking that way. Very, very wrong

In light of the FACTS Orly, do you still feel as you do? A LOT of people made decisions based on what they said pre- 1975. A lot of these people are STILL SUFFERING FINANCIALLY today because of it. Peoples' relationships suffered and on and on.

I hope this has enlightened you to the facts and the heartache. I hope you find it in you to answer in a further post.

Juni

• restrangled
    restrangled

My husband has gone to bed, but feels the original poster was like an old man going 35 MPH in the 70MPH zone. Just looking for a reaction from some one and he got what he wanted.

r.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

My husband has gone to bed, but feels the original poster was like an old man going 35 MPH in the 70MPH zone. Just looking for a reaction from some one and he got what he wanted.

r.

Dear Restrangled,

You may be right. But in the meantime, don't forget about all the lurkers who are coming here new to the forum everyday. Many post, but who knows how many thousands are just observing and taking it all in, in order to make a informed decision. So no matter what the original posters motive was, we reached alot of people with this today!

Sincerely

Lady Liberty

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

I was not in during 1975 but know many who were and they ALL say that there was MUCH mention of it from the platform. For the WT to say they never said anything is utterly ridiculous. They think just because they delete months of material from their cd rom that they can remove all the "evidence" of their past lies. But they don't take into consideration that people can remember what was said as they were sitting right there!

Also if it was never said - how come people from all over the country tell the same story? Are they trying to say there is one big conspiracy. Oh, let me guess, its Satan right? Lilly

• mama1119
    mama1119

Hey Oryly,

Please do not be misled my son!! You can hear Fred Franz, the PREZ of the WTBTS tell you and the 'World' that ARM is coming on "September 5TH, 1975 at Sundown".

How much more definite do you want, unless you want to be indefinite!

Go to 'freeminds.org.' and click on audio clips, Fred Frenz 1975.

Your welcome!?

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The Watchtower Society never said in print specifically that the end was coming in 1975. But practically every JW. at the time believed it. I wonder why. How did this international "rumor" begin?

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

I just about jumped through my screen when I read the comments of this alphabet person "WTF...". I thought he has to be too young to have been there in 1975 and the years before so what does he know. Then I read the comment that maybe he just wanted to get a rise out of us all. And this comment by Lady Liberty made a lot of sense.

You may be right. But in the meantime, don't forget about all the lurkers who are coming here new to the forum everyday . Many post, but who knows how many thousands are just observing and taking it all in, in order to make a informed decision. So no matter what the original posters motive was, we reached alot of people with this today

My sentiments exactly. And all the contributed scans and quotations will do just that!!

Who can now argue that the r&f are all to blame for jumping ahead of the WTS when so many of us were lead to believe "this is it...we just don't know the exact day or hour like the Bible says"?

Why wouldn't we believe that which we had been groomed to believe from birth? I was there too and lived it. I didn't blow things out of proportion or make it up. I listened to the elders and CO's like I had been taught to do from birth.

I'm actually glad now that WTF... brought up this subject with his absurd statement. He's just opened up the way for the truth to wipe out the lame excuses the JWs are giving out now about 1975. And the JWs now are just doing the exact same thing we did back then...they're listening to what the elders and WTS are saying and unquestioningly accepting it and repeating it.

So now instead of jumping down WTF...'s throat for his uninformed comment, I'll say THANKS for giving us the opportunity to tell the truth to those lurking who have never heard what really went on in the 60's and 70's.

Had Enough

• Warlock
    Warlock

I guess the bird 'flew the coop'.

Warlock

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Your an Idiot..Look it up in the dictionary..Awake:April,5 1968 .."1975 What does it mean to you?"...Watchtower Sept 15 1968 "Why are you looking foreward to 1975?"..This is what I got "Crammed down my throat!".....Now you Suck it Up! ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit