Let's just get something straight about 1975.

by WTFBBQPWNT 170 Replies latest jw friends

• willyloman
    willyloman

This is akin to coming on a forum for scientists and saying: Let's get something straight, the earth is flat!

We're not even arguing about 1975 anymore; the evidence is all in the WTS stands condemned.

Got anything else you want to straighten folks out about?

At our hall, they even announced the date in October of 1975 when Armageddon would come. Call a spade a spade, alphabetman, which is exactly what I'm doing.

• I quit!
    I quit!

I remember a "Kingdom Ministry" maybe a year or two before 1975 saying something to the effect that reports were coming in about brothers selling there homes to move to where the need was great... surely this is a fine thing to do in the remaining months before Armageddon (or it might have said before the end of this system of things). If I can the direct quote I will post it. They did say months not years. A lot of witnesses really screwed themselves by listening to them.

• I quit!
    I quit!
    This is akin to coming on a forum for scientists and saying: Let's get something straight, the earth is flat!

Good point. This could have saved me some typing.

• mouthy
    mouthy

I just had a woman call me who had them at her door. They told her "NO WE NEVER SAID 1975 would be the end It was people in the Congregations who jumped a head of the" Brothers"

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.freeminds.org/wav/wav.htm

I would listen to what Sunutko had to say about 1975.

http://www.freeminds.org/history/sunutko.htm

As one brother put it, "Stay alive to Seventy-Five"

• Gilberto
    Gilberto

Then why this admission that they did hype up 1975.

w803/15pp.17-18ChoosingtheBestWayofLife***

In modern times such eagerness, commendable in itself, has led to attempts at setting dates for the desired liberation from the suffering and troubles that are the lot of persons throughout the earth. With the appearance of the book LifeEverlasting—inFreedomoftheSonsofGod, and its comments as to how appropriate it would be for the millennial reign of Christ to parallel the seventh millennium of man’s existence, considerable expectation was aroused regarding the year 1975. There were statements made then, and thereafter, stressing that this was only a possibility. Unfortunately, however, along with such cautionary information, there were other statements published that implied that such realization of hopes by that year was more of a probability than a mere possibility. It is to be regretted that these latter statements apparently overshadowed the cautionary ones and contributed to a buildup of the expectation already initiated.

In its issue of July 15, 1976, TheWatchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: "If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises." In saying "anyone," TheWatchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including personshavingtodowiththepublicationoftheinformation that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.
  • garybuss
    garybuss

WTF. . . Wrote: "Nobody ever said that the end was coming in 1975."
    Hahahahaha!!!! Hilarious! Thanks for the laugh.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

1968 "Jesus was obviously speaking about those who were old enough to witness with understanding what took place when the 'last days' began. Jesus was saying that some of those persons who were alive at the appearance of the `sign of the last days' would still be alive when God brought this system to its end..Even if we presume that youngsters 15 years of age would be perceptive enough to realize the import of what happened in 1914, it would still make the youngest of 'this generation' nearly 70 years old today. So the great majority of the generation to which Jesus was referring has already passed away in death. The remaining ones are approaching old age. And remember, Jesus said that the end of this wicked world would come before that generation passed away in death." {AWAK Oct 8 1968 13-4} [So the end of the wicked world is very close.. 1975 at the latest, by which time those 15 year olds will be 76, older than any Biblically defined generation]
    There was an idiot in our congregation that lost custody of her children because she told her un-believing husband he could have the children if the big A wasn't here by 1975. It was more then a few jws spreading rumors that caused this woman to do something so unbelievably foolish. She believed with her whole heart and soul and even bet her children on it. I doubt she is still a witness.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Hey Birdy,

Just for arguments sake, let's say they didn't set a date of 1975. They set a TIME FRAME. So then, with the bombardment of phrases like "wouldn't it be appropriate" that the end come in 1975, what was the R&F lead to believe?

The same thing for 1914.

They didn't set a date for the end of the 1914 generation either, but they set a TIME FRAME. So then, what would be the final DATE that would show the 1914 generation teaching as wrong. The 'special mightiness' of a generation is 70 or 80, right? 1914+80=1994. Maybe that's why they changed it in 1995.

So then, in these 2 cases, not counting others in the past, they set a time frame, and the R&F was supposed to believe what? That Armageddon WAS NOT supposed to come in these time frames? I like you Birdy, but come on, man, we are not stupid here.

When they, the R&F, are constantly bombarded with phrases like " we are at the last word of a long novel" when speaking of Armageddon, what are they supposed to believe NOW?

You tell me, WHAT ARE THE R&F SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE NOW?

Warlock (starting to get pissed off)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit